where was prince philip going?

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

But we don't yet know that.  The police investigation has still to be completed. 

He was turning onto a road at a junction from a side road. A car hit his car in the side before he could even get across the road. It is quite clearly his fault and any insurance company would say the same with those details.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

So the paper claims.  However, one close up photo of him is from 2018 (it says so beneath the photo) and the others are not dated so they could be zoom shots of him driving on private land, which he is free to do without wearing a seatbelt.

All looks pretty clear cut to me:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6610325/Philip-rides-Duke-Edinburgh-97-wheel.html

I repeat: He wasn't going anywhere. He was coming back.?

There are exemptions from wearing a seatbelt: https://www.gov.uk/seat-belts-law/when-you-dont-need-to-wear-a-seat-belt   Being Royalty might be one, do you think? ?

There are certain medical conditions that mean you can't drive.  People on here might actually be in breach but don't know it, as its something that no one really bothers about until they  have an accident and try to claim honestly on their insurance, or have an eye test, or the doc tells them.

Similar to diplomatic immunity, is he not maybe immune from prosecution as is the Queen?

in any case,  "A spokeswoman for the Norfolk Constabulary said the force was aware of the photographs and had spoken to the driver. "This is in line with our standard response when being made aware of such images showing this type of offence," she said.

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Similar to diplomatic immunity, is he not maybe immune from prosecution as is the Queen?

in any case,  "A spokeswoman for the Norfolk Constabulary said the force was aware of the photographs and had spoken to the driver. "This is in line with our standard response when being made aware of such images showing this type of offence," she said.

No, only the Queen as sovereign has immunity. 

Understood.

As I understand it, they can't issue a fixed penalty as he wasn't stopped by  a cop.

Maybe he has medical exemption.

In any case, the real issue will be over the actual accident, once the AI guys have done their analysis. 

10 hours ago, Damien said:

It seems like Philip only got suitable words of advice from the Police when seen driving without a seatbelt:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46935721

Maybe because there was actually no proof that he had done so, just the media claiming that he had?

He passed the vision test yesterday.

13 hours ago, Damien said:

He was turning onto a road at a junction from a side road. A car hit his car in the side before he could even get across the road. It is quite clearly his fault and any insurance company would say the same with those details.

If he had been blinded by the sun then that could be taken as a mitigating circumstance and witnesses have already said that the sun was low in the sky at time of the crash and the media have done the trip in the direction he was travelling to show people who don't think about these things how that would have impacted the driving of everyone in that area at the time of the crash.

Like I said, the police are still investigating.  I believe innocent until proven guilty still stands as the legal default in this country even though in some areas trial by social media appears to have taken over a bit.

It's all bloody Greek to me.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

A pal of mine was learning to drive 30 years ago. On the day of his test the examiner gets into his car and says " Can you please read me the number plate on that car parked over there ?" 

My pal said " No, sorry but I can't ".

The examiner said " Well in that case I'm sorry Mr Jones but you've failed and the test is over !"

Surprising my pal wasn't aware that his eyesight wasn't up to scratch. As far as I know he never bothered with learning to drive afterwards.

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It' s not a new car. 

Accident victim says Philip has not sent best wishes

Buck Palace says he has.

Maybe we should have a referendum?

(Random hack journalist) “my editor will give you £5000 if you say not nice things about the accident and the aftermath”

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

38 minutes ago, ckn said:

(Random hack journalist) “my editor will give you £5000 if you say not nice things about the accident and the aftermath”

In normal circumstances you wouldn't contact other parties in an accident except via insurance / solicitors. Especially if there was a possibility of prosecution.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

In normal circumstances you wouldn't contact other parties in an accident except via insurance / solicitors. Especially if there was a possibility of prosecution.

Saying sorry to the other party might imply admitting responsibility which would not be a wise thing if the case were to go to court especially if there was the possibility of mitigation. 

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:22 PM, JohnM said:

I repeat: He wasn't going anywhere. He was coming back.?

There are exemptions from wearing a seatbelt: https://www.gov.uk/seat-belts-law/when-you-dont-need-to-wear-a-seat-belt   Being Royalty might be one, do you think? ?

There are certain medical conditions that mean you can't drive.  People on here might actually be in breach but don't know it, as its something that no one really bothers about until they  have an accident and try to claim honestly on their insurance, or have an eye test, or the doc tells them.

Ah, he is disabled, mentally, so that excludes him

Archived