SBW to Toronto??

Hullfan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Chamey said:

A joke I suspect.

As for who are top 5, this squad compiled yesterday is probably as good a start as any:

If a player is not in the above squad then the claim of 'top 5' is hugely dubious.

First off we can rule out the front rows (left column). None of the Irish or English players are going anywhere before the RU World Cup, nor is Hogg. So we're down to 15.

Folau is on a long term contract, so is out. 14. I'd be shocked if it was a saffa, given the amount of money the north pays them. 11.

Semi doing his 3rd code switch of his career is possible, and probably the most likely imo.

Jonathan Davis is doing well at his age to be on that list, mind it is RU?

9 hours ago, philipw said:

As it currently stands, yes. They have played a number of 'home' games in the UK

Which ones?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:19 PM, Mr Plow said:

Play in a English league, based in Manchester and play majority of their games in England

English league with a French and Canadian club in it ? 

Play majority of their games in England as they have to play away games against all the sides in the league who are predominately English....

7 hours ago, Manx RL said:

At least 15 of your 27 2019 Championship regular season games, or the majority, are being played in the UK. 

Talk about false news.

Guess you just forgot to include the playoffs games...must have just been an oversight that one.

7 hours ago, Manx RL said:

What utter utter ball cocks

Nonsense...why hasn't Toronto been able to have  more home block games?....the weather is a factor here no doubt.   Toronto should at least have been given the flexibility in this regard after all they have done.  It seems some wish to make any expansion attempt face difficulties and impediments...and then some wonder why NY has been a no go so far.   Its called trying to work together...its call co operation...its called common sense for a change!

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Guess you just forgot to include the playoffs games...must have just been an oversight that one.

Not really, didn't include challenge cup games either. Just the regular championship season.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

3 hours ago, Manx RL said:

Not really, didn't include challenge cup games either. Just the regular championship season.

Well its good you didn't include the Challenge Cup games...we are not in it this year....we didn't pay the bribe.

Your abacus must be missing a few dominoes then.

15 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Nonsense...why hasn't Toronto been able to have  more home block games?....the weather is a factor here no doubt...

Playing games in home/away blocks, with the first several rounds obviously being away, would solve the issue of Canadian winter weather.  A shift to a mid-March through October season would do the same, as well putting the RFL/SL more in line with the NRL's scheduling, (not a bad thing when considering player contracts, internationals, the World Club Challenge etc).

I'm not holding my breath, though.

Change = Controversy.  A motto for some.  However, we aren't talking about a bit of snow, sleet and rain, over here, and the need to just "toughen up".  We are talking about consistent and persistent frozen pitch conditions with exposed skin being frost bitten in minutes with game time temperatures potentially hitting -10°C to -15°C.

2 hours ago, ChoboMog said:

Playing games in home/away blocks, with the first several rounds obviously being away, would solve the issue of Canadian winter weather.  A shift to a mid-March through October season would do the same, as well putting the RFL/SL more in line with the NRL's scheduling, (not a bad thing when considering player contracts, internationals, the World Club Challenge etc).

I'm not holding my breath, though.

Change = Controversy.  A motto for some.  However, we aren't talking about a bit of snow, sleet and rain, over here, and the need to just "toughen up".  We are talking about consistent and persistent frozen pitch conditions with exposed skin being frost bitten in minutes with game time temperatures potentially hitting -10°C to -15°C.

Exactly and well put.

4 hours ago, SL17 said:

Not quite sure they are blocks though. Toronto are using home/away fixtures whilst still playing away.

Toronto Wolfpack currently play a few home games at away/neutral venues, out of necessity, due to the fact these "home" games are scheduled during the early rounds, at a time of year when Canadian winter weather makes playing professional rugby league outdoors a pretty bad idea.  Potentially playing in -10°C to -15°C conditions, before windchill, on a frozen pitch is simply a non-starter, both from a fan enjoyment and player health and safety perspective.

With a February start, by Round 6 Toronto is typically warm enough and stadium available.  There's no reason they couldn't do six away games to start the season, followed by 20 rounds, broken into home/away blocks totalling 13 home games and 7 away (not quite 2:1 ratio home:away), with the Summer Bash at a neutral venue and scheduled whenever the RFL sees fit.

My point was also that if the RFL/SL were to play more in line with the NRL's schedule, say mid-March through October as I proposed above (finishing later than the NRL to accommodate any weeks skipped due to Challenge Cup games), Toronto would be good to go for home games at Lamport by Round 3, and even Round 2 is the City's Department of Parks & Recreation were to expedite winter dome removal.  To be completely honest, while things aren't quite as extreme in a U.K. winter, a slightly later start isn't that bad an idea weather-wise on that side of the Pond as well.

Enough about weather and league/round scheduling, though.  That's a (potentially really good) topic for another thread...

4d526bd6e0a78d3cb5968a754250a8c3.jpeg.639f0b4d11af45cfb03841c4348b157e.jpeg

FOX League Exclusive [2019-02-21]: Rugby League Club’s Bold Play to Bring Sonny Bill Williams Back From Union

From the looks of it, Toronto Wolfpack might have made an offer.

I'm new enough to the game to be blissfully unaware of whether this is, or is not, such a big deal; and thanks to that, if TWP do end up with a different "big signing" I'll still be plenty happy.  This is at least some interesting drama, early in the season, and doing wonders to help me forget how pathetic Toronto F.C., down in Panama, was last night.

2 hours ago, BallPlayingProp said:

Looks like Argyle has confirmed it and spoken about it for the first time here:

Interesting too some bits about Widnes and buying a stake in the club? Is he just gonna buy a stake in every club everywhere?

Will he actually pay or just promise to pay?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Archived