Fri 1 Mar: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Wakefield Trinity KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Wakefield Trinity

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/19 at 19:45

57 minutes ago, M j M said:

Walker was injured. I'm talking about Ash Golding who it looks like will never be selected again 

you could be right ash in FEV 's squad  for Widnes  

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Thoroughly enjoyed what  I saw of the game. Wakefield looked solid and unlikely to fold under pressure.

I do like the long-term thinking of some of the Leeds fans on here, though.  ?

Just 5 games,right? Four of them away, is that right, too? Instant turnround or rebuilding the foundation?

Rebuilding,the future looks good,with a fantastic crop of young players in the 19's and 16's.

Realistically I think Leeds will be mid-table and trophy-less for a few seasons but strong foundations are being built.

Well done Wakey, a thoroughly deserved victory.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Still to be fair to you at least you spared us your lame sir Tom gag so kudos for that.

I thank you. :good:

Actually, I think it's St Johnston I use rather than Sir Tom but I'll accept any credit from you.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, rhinos78 said:

I agree, im loving the structure he's put into our attack, when we get in the opposition half we look dangerous.

But...His team selections have been rubbish, until last night the backs had picked themselves, but he continues to get the pack wrong, last night when the backs didnt pack themselves, he got that wrong aswel.

Suttcliffe and Ferres are, by a country mile, the worst pair of second rows in the league. They seem to be getting a free pass on selection, it has to stop. Cam Smith got hung out to dry last night, he's a backrow all day long, you just know he's goin to suffer ,unfairly,for his performance yday while the other 2 continue to stink it up in his natural position.

On Wakey, Fifita, Johnstone and tupou are deffinatly star players and would get in any team in SL imo

I think they have more fundemental problems. They are a light weight team physically and field kicking is really poor. He needs some new players but seems stuck with getting in my opinion a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Given the squad I would think Sutcliffe is better at full back and for me should have been slotted in when Walker was injured. Plus whilst Walker is developing he could be rotating them at full back. Although given that Kalum needs to be nursed along with regards game time he could cover at centre too.

As to the new signing, well Trent should be kept to his natural position and not as prop... as to the other two I ain't impressed so far. Hurrell yep is a barrel when given a chance but his handling is poor plus defence weak leaving significant gaps.  

Leeds find it very difficult to get out of their last twenty, easy to pressurise in that last quarter resulting in opposition normally restarting from a good field position. The field kicking being poor the opposition are staring often from their 20-25 yard line even before the line gets up.

Anyway could say more but sows ear and silk purse come to mind and hopefully the coach can get some "proper" props as a starting point. oh and yep another half back.

55 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Bill Toupou outstanding ?

B53454BF-5175-446F-AAC3-B8F6B5D93080.png

He was outstanding last night. Was running rings round Watkins. 

10 hours ago, M j M said:

Well that was, pretty poor from Leeds.

Hetherington and Furner were engaged in a very long, frowny-faced conversation in the Long Bar afterwards (excuse my blurry papparazzi efforts) - this went on long past 11pm; the only bit I overheard was Furner saying something (or someone) was "just not good enough".

image.jpeg.a4d85306d8ffc1937c124b64ff00de22.jpeg

Ash Golding was there at the game, fully dressed in Leeds suit and looking utterly despondent. The mind games Leeds are playing with a young player who never gave less than 100% and who less than two years ago they gave the number 1 shirt and a five year contract to are appalling and give the lie to Sinfield's repeated bulls**t about Leeds always "doing the right thing" and "treating people right". Shifting Cam Smith to halfback to enable someone other than our reserve full back to play full back is an absolute joke.

If Ash Golding is your saviour you’re in big trouble. He’s truly awful.

1 minute ago, snapski said:

If Ash Golding is your saviour you’re in big trouble. He’s truly awful. 

He's the second choice full back and should be used if the alternative is playing a second row at stand off.

Surely some Leeds fans are reacting a tad hastily. Furner is learning about his team whilst on the job, give him a break and the team some time!

Last night was woeful but it was the first terrible performance.

Sutcliffe has no place in the 2nd row as he keeps getting trampled over but will he retain his place when Ablett returns or even JJB....

Watkins has been totally out of sorts to the point we're being targeted down that edge but people need to remember form is temporary and class is permanent. He'll remember how to play soon I'm sure.

People jumping on Hurrell it's just wrong. He's made 10 errors in 5 games which is not brilliant but his go forward is exceptional. Give him a chance to bond with Handley. Interestingly Austin has made 8 errors in 3 games but he's the new messiah!

Its work in progress. 

34 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I think they have more fundemental problems. They are a light weight team physically and field kicking is really poor. He needs some new players but seems stuck with getting in my opinion a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Given the squad I would think Sutcliffe is better at full back and for me should have been slotted in when Walker was injured. Plus whilst Walker is developing he could be rotating them at full back. Although given that Kalum needs to be nursed along with regards game time he could cover at centre too.

As to the new signing, well Trent should be kept to his natural position and not as prop... as to the other two I ain't impressed so far. Hurrell yep is a barrel when given a chance but his handling is poor plus defence weak leaving significant gaps.  

Leeds find it very difficult to get out of their last twenty, easy to pressurise in that last quarter resulting in opposition normally restarting from a good field position. The field kicking being poor the opposition are staring often from their 20-25 yard line even before the line gets up.

Anyway could say more but sows ear and silk purse come to mind and hopefully the coach can get some "proper" props as a starting point. oh and yep another half back.

The first sentence is what im getting at in saying he's got the pack wrong all season, when fit, he's been going with merrin at prop, ward 13, this magnifys our problem of having  an under powerd pack, Merrin should be 13 every sigle time, its his best position, he can do more minutes there and it lets us play 2 bigger props, Ward can then go to second row and replace one of Ferres or Suttcliffe who are both absolutely rubbish, Cam Smith, who shouldnt be judged on last night, to replace the other one. 13. Merrin 12. Smith 11. Ward,...While Wards out id rather play Owen Trout, a 6'5 nearly 17 st England Academy international second row  than Ferres or Suttcliffe , hopfuly Abbletts back soon awel.

Agree on the kicking, cant believe i was happy we signed Myler, awful at the nuts and bolts of scrumhalf play.

Hurrells the most infuriateing player iv ever seen, bursts 3 tackle drops the ball, makes 20 good meters knocks on at the PTB, puts the winger in for a good try throws 3 into touch...Can do things other players can only dream about but the simple basics let him down time and time again. To his credit, his attitude is spot on .

5 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Surely some Leeds fans are reacting a tad hastily. Furner is learning about his team whilst on the job, give him a break and the team some time!

Sutcliffe has no place in the 2nd row as he keeps getting trampled over but will he retain his place when Ablett returns or even JJB....

Watkins has been totally out of sorts to the point we're being targeted down that edge but people need to remember form is temporary and class is permanent. He'll remember how to play soon I'm sure.

People jumping on Hurrell it's just wrong. He's made 10 errors in 5 games which is not brilliant but his go forward is exceptional. Give him a chance to bond with Handley. Interestingly Austin has made 8 errors in 3 games but he's the new messiah!

Its work in progress. 

Spot on, I said before the season started us Leeds fans would have to be patient, new coach, new back room staff, new stadium, new players it will take time, we’ve played better than I tgought we would bar yesterdays effort, with how well Wakefield played that would have been a 50+ point drubbing last season.

Watkins is just coming back from a really bad injury, he needs some time.

Hurrel may make a gew errors but ill gladly take that for the entertainment factor he brings something that has been sorely lacking for a few seasons.

The only thing that spoilt last nights game apart from Leeds losing of course,was the moronic antics of Wakefield fans causing trouble and trying to wreck Burley Park railway station. Maybe the same bunch who caused trouble at the Broncos game. The game doesn't need fans like this.

I think Leeds are now showing the fruits of a group of Academy graduate who just weren't as good as the previous crop. The so-called 'golden generation' of Burrow, Sinfield, JJB, McGuire et al were exceptional. Compare them with Walters, Baldwinson, Sutcliffe, Lilley (hardly pulling up trees for us at the Bulls) et al and there really is no comparison at all!

This is the reason why Leeds, in my opinion, are going to have to settle for mid-table for a while, until the next crop - who, according to all accounts, are exceptional again - start to filter through into the first team.

It's just the inevitable ups and downs of (quite correctly in my view) relying to a great extent on graduates who have come through a clubs Academy.

3 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

The first sentence is what im getting at in saying he's got the pack wrong all season, when fit, he's been going with merrin at prop, ward 13, this magnifys our problem of having  an under powerd pack, Merrin should be 13 every sigle time, its his best position, he can do more minutes there and it lets us play 2 bigger props, Ward can then go to second row and replace one of Ferres or Suttcliffe who are both absolutely rubbish, Cam Smith, who shouldnt be judged on last night, to replace the other one. 13. Merrin 12. Smith 11. Ward,...While Wards out id rather play Owen Trout, a 6'5 nearly 17 st England Academy international second row  than Ferres or Suttcliffe , hopfuly Abbletts back soon awel.

Agree on the kicking, cant believe i was happy we signed Myler, awful at the nuts and bolts of scrumhalf play.

Hurrells the most infuriateing player iv ever seen, bursts 3 tackle drops the ball, makes 20 good meters knocks on at the PTB, puts the winger in for a good try throws 3 into touch...Can do things other players can only dream about but the simple basics let him down time and time again. To his credit, his attitude is spot on .

Hard to argue with what you comment...

Only aspect being Sutcliffe, their is something in there but not current position. Maybe revert back to half back instead of Myler... or full back if Walker can be moved up. 

3 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Its work in progress. 

Agree work in progress and no problem with the coach.   I just see the same issues as last year.  He has a difficult job given the playing rota currently.

As regards Hurrell, not jumping on him just observations. Somebody commented on here said he tends to be inconsistent when Leeds first signed him - I would say to-date he/she is correct.  Bonding with Handley, mmmm maybe some passing to him would help in that bonding.  Anyway as said he does excite when he is barrelling through and he tends to be the get out of jail default coming out of the last 20 yards which doesn't help, especially when every opposition team know its the only route Leeds have to make any meters out.

I just do not understand Leeds thinking regarding some recent signings. Granted the golden generation all aged together. I would also argue that the success they had has restricted some development in some younger players but the recruitment has been moderate.

This year signing 3 Marquee players for around £1,000,000 so far has completely backfired. Is any one of them worth £350000?

Leeds also had to let players leave, such as Garbutt who would given them a bit of go forward

Great win for Wakey but it wasnt until I looked at Leeds side written down that I realised how bad it is.  Not one of their players would get in Wakey team at the minute.

Walker v Hampshire - Not much in it

Briscoe v Johnstone - No contest

Watkins v Tupou - No contest

Hurrell vs Lyne - Lyne at the minute but Hurrell could be better

Handley vs BJB - BJB easy

Smith v Miller - Miller

Myler vs Brough - Brough all day

Cuthbertson vs Fifita - Fifita all day

Parcell vs Randell - Ok actually maybe 1 player

Peteru vs Huby - Not seen enough of Peteru to comment to be fair

Ferres vs Ashurst - No contest

Sutcliffe vs Batchelor - No contest

Merrin vs Arona - From what ive seen so far.. Arona!

1 hour ago, One F in Wakefield said:

Great win for Wakey but it wasnt until I looked at Leeds side written down that I realised how bad it is.  Not one of their players would get in Wakey team at the minute.

Smith v Miller - Miller

You'll be predicting a trip to Old Trafford next!

I wonder how many Wakey players would get into the London side, it's only when I wrote it down I realised how bad it is! ?

I mean they totally battered you right, they must have an entirely superior squad right?

3 hours ago, super major said:

I just do not understand Leeds thinking regarding some recent signings. Granted the golden generation all aged together. I would also argue that the success they had has restricted some development in some younger players but the recruitment has been moderate.

This year signing 3 Marquee players for around £1,000,000 so far has completely backfired. Is any one of them worth £350000?

Leeds also had to let players leave, such as Garbutt who would given them a bit of go forward

Maybe its not best to write players off after 5 games

5 hours ago, One F in Wakefield said:

Smith v Miller - Miller

I really like Wakefield as a club, and I like how they play, but im not sure this kind of arrogance is quite yet deserved, its only 4 games ago you got beat by London, I understand youve just had a great win bit still...

8 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I really like Wakefield as a club, and I like how they play, but im not sure this kind of arrogance is quite yet deserved, its only 4 games ago you got beat by London, I understand youve just had a great win bit still...

One or two of our representatives on here are a bit cringe worthy. Thankfully it's specific to the same few so obviously a personal trait and not representative of Trin fans in general.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

10 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Its not arrogance, its just how I see the relative players.  If it was saints, Wire, Cas, Hull, Wigan, there would be a lot more the other way.

4 minutes ago, One F in Wakefield said:

Its not arrogance, its just how I see the relative players.  If it was saints, Wire, Cas, Hull, Wigan, there would be a lot more the other way.

Just out of interest do one for Cas then. 

Archived