SL Attendances So Far In 2019

22 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

London really is an anomaly because they are almost selling out their seating and the rest are forking out up to £23 to stand behind perimeter fencing. Beyond the 2k-ish seats it’s basically a park. 

Having a pop at London when you can pay the same/similar money to stand at some other dreggy stadium in superleague is simply laughable nonsense! If £23 to go watch a match bothers you enough not to go then maybe you need to rethink what sport and the level you want to watch?

Tired old excuses because one club doesn't have exactly the same offer as another, where have you been the last, hmm, let's say 2200 years?

I'm sure some of the various Roman amphitheatre had different seat/standing enclosures, is paying 1 Dinarius going to make a big difference to charging 9 asses because the theatre is less enclosed (but actually stinks less of urine and is a more pleasant environment overall)?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Having a pop at London when you can pay the same/similar money to stand at some other dreggy stadium in superleague is simply laughable nonsense! If £23 to go watch a match bothers you enough not to go then maybe you need to rethink what sport and the level you want to watch?

Tired old excuses because one club doesn't have exactly the same offer as another, where have you been the last, hmm, let's say 2200 years?

I'm sure some of the various Roman amphitheatre had different seat/standing enclosures, is paying 1 Dinarius going to make a big difference to charging 9 asses because the theatre is less enclosed (but actually stinks less of urine and is a more pleasant environment overall)?

Tighten that screw, bro. £23 standing at Broncos is a rip-off.

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Tighten that screw, bro. £23 standing at Broncos is a rip-off.

Early bird is usually less and my season ticket was £100 (frozen from 2018), with a standing season ticket still only £129 for a new spectator.

There is also new seating anyway - so standing is not really an issue. 

Not sure what people expect to pay for professional sportsmen to entertain them.

16 hours ago, Spidey said:

How are Bradford impacting Wigans attendances? Really don’t understand this comment?

I think it was maybe because Bradford used to have a massive following, both home and away, and could have boosted everyone's figures due to the large travelling support. Since the financial difficulties, relegation to League 1, and fans unhappy, the numbers have not yet recovered.

14 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

The Super 8's were a complete disaster. Which everyone thought they would be apart from the guys making the decisions. 

Yep, what was the point of a competition within a competition, to see the same teams play each other again and again, for a chance to get by another club that maybe performed better all year. It was like a mini cup competition added to the end of the league season. The League has to represent a reward for consistent performance over a whole season. The Challenge Cup is there to mix things up, give clubs the chance to live the dream, and reward big performances in knock out matches.

3 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

Yep, what was the point of a competition within a competition, to see the same teams play each other again and again, for a chance to get by another club that maybe performed better all year. It was like a mini cup competition added to the end of the league season. The League has to represent a reward for consistent performance over a whole season. The Challenge Cup is there to mix things up, give clubs the chance to live the dream, and reward big performances in knock out matches.

So you want rid off the SL and Championship GFs ?

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So you want rid off the SL and Championship GFs ?

Yep, you got it, win more matches than anybody else, accumulate more points, then you win the league, over and out. It's only fair to the consistent performers. 

It's a bit like promotion and relegation, team with least points over the whole season deserves to go down, whilst the team with the most points over the whole season deserves to go up.  

If you want a knock out competition, that's what Cups are for. The Challenge Cup would be a much bigger event without the Grand Final. 

Still, it's only an opinion. I doubt the people that run RL are reading this with much compulsion. So I wouldn't worry too much about my "vision" being adopted anytime soon ?

7 hours ago, Hemel Stag said:

I think it was maybe because Bradford used to have a massive following, both home and away, and could have boosted everyone's figures due to the large travelling support. Since the financial difficulties, relegation to League 1, and fans unhappy, the numbers have not yet recovered.

They’d boost it for one game. Doesn’t explain 5K dropping off Wigan’s average for the season

2,200 for London is reasonable, given events at the club over the past 10 years, but no more than that.

I do wish the Broncos would at least try to do 'some' marketing. Their current plan seems to consist entirely of tweeting current followers that tickets for the visit of X are now on sale. Beyond that they've done nothing to let the world know they exist, never mind are based in Ealing and play home games every 2 weeks.

Even after beating Wigan (still the biggest name in RL) they've done nothing to publicise the fact.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

15 hours ago, Spidey said:

They’d boost it for one game. Doesn’t explain 5K dropping off Wigan’s average for the season

Good point. Don't know what's the answer to the Wigan conundrum. Usually winning things on a regular basis encourages crowds. Are there any Wigan fans out there, maybe feeling disgruntled, that would like to share their perspective?

• 3 weeks later...

New Beginnings but it looks as if it’s the same poor crowds.

10k at Saints poor. 10,800 at Hull poor,

4,300 at Wakey poor. 

The only positive was at Wigan with 11,106. 

I don’t think clubs do enough to get fans through the gate. To me it’s the “we don’t need to do anything they will turn up”. 

On 3/12/2019 at 10:12 AM, Yakstorm said:

Wakefield in particular is one I don't quite understand how they went backwards so much (these are stats I've found on TotalRL so maybe a bit off),

There was not step change in attendance, just a change in ownership.

The new owner decided to only count those who actually paid to attend rather than all the freebies which put the club into administration.

8000 instantly became 4000 but it has been rising slowly since. Persuading people to actually pay to spend 2 hours at BV is a challenge.

2 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

There was not step change in attendance, just a change in ownership.

The new owner decided to only count those who actually paid to attend rather than all the freebies which put the club into administration.

8000 instantly became 4000 but it has been rising slowly since. Persuading people to actually pay to spend 2 hours at BV is a challenge.

Here are Wakey's top flight attendances since 1981:

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2019/03/best-attended-uk-clubs-1981-2019-9th.html

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

7 hours ago, Sparse Attendance said:

New Beginnings but it looks as if it’s the same poor crowds.

10k at Saints poor. 10,800 at Hull poor,

4,300 at Wakey poor. 

The only positive was at Wigan with 11,106. 

I don’t think clubs do enough to get fans through the gate. To me it’s the “we don’t need to do anything they will turn up”. 

So just over 10K at Saints is poor but just over 11K at Wigan was a positive ?

Catalans rarely bring much away support but neither did HKR on Friday (maybe 250max)

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 3/13/2019 at 9:03 AM, nadera78 said:

2,200 for London is reasonable, given events at the club over the past 10 years, but no more than that.

I do wish the Broncos would at least try to do 'some' marketing. Their current plan seems to consist entirely of tweeting current followers that tickets for the visit of X are now on sale. Beyond that they've done nothing to let the world know they exist, never mind are based in Ealing and play home games every 2 weeks.

Even after beating Wigan (still the biggest name in RL) they've done nothing to publicise the fact.

That's just not true. They've been out in the local area a lot marketing games.

25 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I’ve seen that. Handing leaflets out mainly I think. Skolars do this plus building community clubs and working with schools. Thing is it doesn’t seem to deliver new punters through the turnstiles. Need a bigger buz and media exposure. 

3 hours ago, EssexRL said:

I’ve seen that. Handing leaflets out mainly I think. Skolars do this plus building community clubs and working with schools. Thing is it doesn’t seem to deliver new punters through the turnstiles. Need a bigger buz and media exposure. 

i agree, I mean it can't do anyharm, you must pick the odd fan up from it, but the reality is you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  Fans moan that you aren't trying if you don't, but it costs money for very little return.  "Marketing" a pro sport's club is a funny one and needs loads of money and PR skill I guess to do it right, and even then is it really the main driver for attendances?  TWP seem to have a good idea of how to do it, they seem to have some very savvy people in their media team, they got themselves all over TV / newspapers / online but they are in a very different market to London and the Broncos would never get that from the London media or UK TV stations no matter what they did.

Focusing on the match day experience is the right thing and they seem to be doing well with that.

5 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

?

Go on then, hit me with it, what have they been doing? I could do with a good laugh.

1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

Grow up

I'm serious. I'd love to know what marketing activities the club has been engaged in.

• 3 weeks later...

So we're about to head into Round 11 now, just before the Easter spike, and this is how we're tracking versus the 2018 totals:

• Castleford - 7,779 (7,898)
  • Catalans - 8,435 (8,353)
  • Huddersfield - 5,388 (5,745)
  • Hull FC - 11,363 (12,174)
  • Salford - 4,012 (2,748)
  • Warrington - 11,533 (10,088)
  • Hull KR - 8,374 (7,964)
  • St Helens - 12,863 (11,478)
  • Leeds - 12,224 (12,807)
  • Wakefield - 5,011 (5,244)
  • Wigan - 10,605 (11,708)
  • London - 2,132

Of the 11 clubs that took part last year, 6 are down, 5 are up.  On the plus side, of two which are down, Wigan and Hull FC, both have their largest game of the year, and Wigan has already confirmed their Good Friday crowd will be over 20,000... that means their average will shoot up to around 12,680ish (or higher), whilst if Hull FC get more than 15,418 they'll at least be on par with their 2018 average.

Hopefully all other clubs get an uplift as well over the next two rounds.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

19 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

So we're about to head into Round 11 now, just before the Easter spike, and this is how we're tracking versus the 2018 totals:

• Castleford - 7,779 (7,898)
  • Catalans - 8,435 (8,353)
  • Huddersfield - 5,388 (5,745)
  • Hull FC - 11,363 (12,174)
  • Salford - 4,012 (2,748)
  • Warrington - 11,533 (10,088)
  • Hull KR - 8,374 (7,964)
  • St Helens - 12,863 (11,478)
  • Leeds - 12,224 (12,807)
  • Wakefield - 5,011 (5,244)
  • Wigan - 10,605 (11,708)
  • London - 2,132

Of the 11 clubs that took part last year, 6 are down, 5 are up.  On the plus side, of two which are down, Wigan and Hull FC, both have their largest game of the year, and Wigan has already confirmed their Good Friday crowd will be over 20,000... that means their average will shoot up to around 12,680ish (or higher), whilst if Hull FC get more than 15,418 they'll at least be on par with their 2018 average.

Hopefully all other clubs get an uplift as well over the next two rounds.

Like for like, Wakey are up about 6% attendances vs same opponents this year

Archived