Speediest speedster in RL

12 minutes ago, Copa said:

Josh Addo-Carr has been recorded at 37.8km/h.

He’s one fast dude.

Is that in game or on track? Very quick either way.

Apparently Usain Bolt's top speed was 44.7km/h. It just puts into perspective what a freak of nature he is.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, MZH said:

Is that in game or on track? Very quick either way.

Apparently Usain Bolt's top speed was 44.7km/h. It just puts into perspective what a freak of nature he is.

In game.

7 hours ago, OMEGA said:

He’s got destroyed by raw pace on two occasions today by Mason Caton-Brown who was also carrying the ball!

Id have to say MCB is the fastest I’ve seen in recent years and that’s even in comparison with  a fully fit Tom Johnstone who’d be my second choice

Yep.....bad timing this thread I guess....maybe he'd been out on the lash the night before.....anyway we won so who cares

11 hours ago, MZH said:

Having done some more googling I was thinking of Jamel Chisholm.

He's as Oldham now apparently.

Yeah Jamel Chisholm, he was lightning, won one of the fastest man comps. He had a year where he was scoring for fun in the 20's, over 20 trys in sumthing like 14 games, got a couple of loans but never made Leeds first team.

I suppose we have to mention the one-match one-offs. Dwain Chambers - 9.97 seconds for the 100 metres. McDonald Bailey 10.2 seconds.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

For those who remember there was a monetary prize race run for by professional athletes i.e.those who got paid for playing sport, olympians in those times were not allowed they had to maintain their amatuer status, it was called the Powderhall and was a handicap race over 110 yards run at Musselburgh Racecourse in Scotland on New Years Day, my dad and grandad used to relate to me which RL players took part and how fast they were, the passing of time has somewhat clouded my memory, can anyone fill in the blanks.

51 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I suppose we have to mention the one-match one-offs. Dwain Chambers - 9.97 seconds for the 100 metres. McDonald Bailey 10.2 seconds.

The latter played for my club Leigh, but his name is missing from the roster of Heritage numbers awareded for representing the club, I believe it is because the only game he played in was against Wigan - who else - was an 'A' team fixture which does not qualify for a Heritage number, incidently he only played 1/2 of the game before retiring with a leg injury.

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The latter played for my club Leigh, but his name is missing from the roster of Heritage numbers awareded for representing the club, I believe it is because the only game he played in was against Wigan - who else - was an 'A' team fixture which does not qualify for a Heritage number, incidently he only played 1/2 of the game before retiring with a leg injury.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

59 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

For those who remember there was a monetary prize race run for by professional athletes i.e.those who got paid for playing sport, olympians in those times were not allowed they had to maintain their amatuer status, it was called the Powderhall and was a handicap race over 110 yards run at Musselburgh Racecourse in Scotland on New Years Day, my dad and grandad used to relate to me which RL players took part and how fast they were, the passing of time has somewhat clouded my memory, can anyone fill in the blanks.

Vaughan Thomas of Fev and Bradford was a Powderhall sprinter along with Mike Murray (Barrow) around the same time (late 60's).

When Thomas moved from Fev to Bradford it was said that he and Berwyn Jones (former British record holder) were the fastest pair of wingers in the game.

22 hours ago, Clogiron said:

During the '88 Lions tour the Aussies arranged a sprint between Offiah and I think it was Lee Oderyun, like everything in Australia there was a book run on it. Offiah ran at 3/4 pace to make it look genuine but Oderyun won to forever be known as the fastest man in RL for what was left of his short career, whilst the Lions squad and those of us in the know counted our winnings?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

22 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Over 40m Morgan Escare would take some beating. He's very quick. 

100m is a long way for a rugby player so it's a different category to pure acceleration over a short distance. 

Over 100m, I would think Dixon just ahead of Grace then Mason Caton Brown. 

Your point is perhaps the most valid. Change of pace and and speed over 40m.  A player needs to get past the first man and then be able to time it and to get round the the next.

Offiah was freakish and could do both!

54 minutes ago, Allora said:

That brought back memories, Offiah played the race very well, I hope nobody takes much notice of Phil Clark pontificating about defence having seen that?

On 18/05/2019 at 10:30, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

A foot race, length of the pitch with normal studs....let's say the going is firm. Evidence required if possible

I'll start ....watch 30 seconds in....Super Kieran Dixon...no one faster in my opinion

10 seconds to run less than 70m (Pitch at KCOM is a full 100m, short at both sides by about 3m) from a running start isn't exactly quick IMHO, Craig Calvert (Of Whitehaven) at his peak would make Dixon look like a slug. There's a try Calvert scores a few years back were he takes a ball behind his own sticks and runs in an arc when approaching the 20m whilst slowing up and still does it in about 12-13s

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

drugged up Dwain Chambers you mean, Ken Irvine was officially the fastest man to play RL professionally, 9.3 for the 100 yards, which is the distance professional sprinters ran BITD. That's equivalent to 10.07 for the 100m, bearing in mind that he wasn't running on a modern track, modern spikes he'd easily be the equivalent of a 9.9 100m runner.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Professional sprinters generally used to run 100yds (93m) though all sorts of odd distances were run BITD and the meets up in Scotland were there were quite a few top pro sprinters would very likely had a 110yd race or a half a furlong. 

Lesley Vainokolo's PB was 10.6 seconds, while qualifying for the World Junior Athletics Championships. He would have bulked up and slowed a bit as his Rugby career took off, mind, but opposing wingers probably still thought it was unfair facing a guy who could go past or over them, depending on whim.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Professional sprinters generally used to run 100yds (93m) though all sorts of odd distances were run BITD and the meets up in Scotland were there were quite a few top pro sprinters would very likely had a 110yd race or a half a furlong. 

A good PB for the 60 metres would be a guide to useable pace on a Rugby pitch. Not every try is a length of the field effort, but the 60m event's focus on fast starts from standstill and maintaining acceleration over the line seem more relevant.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 18/05/2019 at 10:30, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

A foot race, length of the pitch with normal studs....let's say the going is firm. Evidence required if possible

I'll start ....watch 30 seconds in....Super Kieran Dixon...no one faster in my opinion

Yes, I will long remember Finn to Dixon!

Archived