Jambo Express.

Seaton Sandy

9 hours ago, Raider91 said:

I think most Barrow fans will be willing for haven to take Riley. I would hope we'd be able to keep hold of Walker he's a good front rower.

He was outstanding for us before he went to barrow what went wrong ? Is travelling an issue ? 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

I was as enthused as the next man when we acquired the services of Leon Pryce ,a player with a stellar career both domestically and at international level but ,as is often the case, playing talents don't always translate to coaching and man-management. 

There are three players at Haven who I wish were still on Town's books - James Newton, Jake Moore , and Sam Forrester. Naturally all three had a point to prove and they are delivering accordingly. My hopes are now pinned on Thorman engaging with the current squad and our new local recruits to bring us back into contention. Optimism is a necessity for all Town die-hards.......

We were all scratching our heads when those 3 were released but we now know the reason. Haven are pulling up trees ar the moment which is amazing most of us including haven fans, there is a long way to go though with most games being unpredictable. They have been lucky with injuries and you need that to be in the position they are in, their injuries have all been Fringe players unlike Town who have and are without a few of their best players, Olstrum included. I think its now between haven and Oldham who have beaten them twice this season (haven threw the second one) it will depend on which team can avoid losing key players, neither have big squads. 

I say good luck to them, after years of apparent bumbling, they seem to be getting things right at last. I hope their bubble doesn't burst! I just hope we get a bigger bubble!!! UTT

On 27/05/2019 at 13:10, town4me said:

3 hours ago, GentlemanJim said:

Given the focus on local they're now looking for players in Nigeria??

It served them well with their PNG connection ,and Parker and ayre have been the backbone of their team for quite a few years now .If they pick up another one or too like that it will.be worth it .

Maybe we should look to PNG or Samoa etc rather than the M62 corridor

On 28/05/2019 at 09:50, Marrafan said:

Bulman, Thompson C Phillips, Kelly, Parker fringe players?

Bulman l? How long were the rest missing? One game? You have been very lucky just hope your luck doesn't run out. 

On 29/05/2019 at 11:16, GentlemanJim said:

Given the focus on local they're now looking for players in Nigeria??

Connection ??? 

Ade Adebisi (born 1 July 1986), also known by the nickname of "London Flyer", is a British - Nigerian rugby league footballer.He played a representative level for (BARLA) Young Lions against France, and was selected for the 2011 Championship 1 All Stars team at club level for the London Skolars (two spells), in 2004's Super League IX for the London Broncos (Heritage № 437), Hull FC (loan, Academy), Doncaster Lakers (Heritage № 934),[3] the Featherstone Rovers (Heritage № 903) and Whitehaven in National League One (reserve grade), as a fullback or wing.

I seem to remember one of the all time greats is Nigerian ...Offiah was born in London to Nigerian parents of Igbo origin,"

Given their record of PNG players  if the Jameaters unearth another "Offiah" by this partnership then we will all be going "WOW"....

Lot more happening world wide  than people on the M62 and West Cumbria realise .

The more countries that take up the game the bigger the player pool gets and there are a lot of guys around who could easily make the league one /championship grade if given the chance.

I sent a young 23 year old Dutch / Samoan over to Town ten years ago and he trained with the club for week and got great feedback..however due to visa restrictions it never happened. I also had another 17 year old  Dutch/ Samoan at the same time that was class ..went on to play Union sevens in the HBSC World circuit ...but again due to visa restrictions he couldnt go to England.

Blame the mess that was going on at South Wales Crusaders at the time .

Vinny could have been the new James Pickering ..serious... then he went onto be a United Nations peace keeper instead of a rugby player .

Dont knock what you dont know ?

Maybe Troutmaster can remeber Vinny ? 

24 minutes ago, yanto said:

Connection ??? 

Ade Adebisi (born 1 July 1986), also known by the nickname of "London Flyer", is a British - Nigerian rugby league footballer.He played a representative level for (BARLA) Young Lions against France, and was selected for the 2011 Championship 1 All Stars team at club level for the London Skolars (two spells), in 2004's Super League IX for the London Broncos (Heritage № 437), Hull FC (loan, Academy), Doncaster Lakers (Heritage № 934),[3] the Featherstone Rovers (Heritage № 903) and Whitehaven in National League One (reserve grade), as a fullback or wing.

I seem to remember one of the all time greats is Nigerian ...Offiah was born in London to Nigerian parents of Igbo origin,"

Given their record of PNG players  if the Jameaters unearth another "Offiah" by this partnership then we will all be going "WOW"....

Lot more happening world wide  than people on the M62 and West Cumbria realise .

The more countries that take up the game the bigger the player pool gets and there are a lot of guys around who could easily make the league one /championship grade if given the chance.

I sent a young 23 year old Dutch / Samoan over to Town ten years ago and he trained with the club for week and got great feedback..however due to visa restrictions it never happened. I also had another 17 year old  Dutch/ Samoan at the same time that was class ..went on to play Union sevens in the HBSC World circuit ...but again due to visa restrictions he couldnt go to England.

Blame the mess that was going on at South Wales Crusaders at the time .

Vinny could have been the new James Pickering ..serious... then he went onto be a United Nations peace keeper instead of a rugby player .

Dont knock what you dont know ?

Maybe Troutmaster can remeber Vinny ? 

Good post mate. Rugby league was ahead of the pack when it came to giving opportunities to players from diverse cultures and ethnicity.  Cec Thompson being a prime example. I have had the privilege of seeing many wonderful black players over the years .Green Vigo , Ellery Hanley, Henderson Gill and our own Dessie spring to mind. Rugby League has always judged players on their talent rather than their skin colour unlike the Dark side where prejudice ruled until relatively recent times.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2019 at 00:38, Seaton Sandy said:

Good post mate. Rugby league was ahead of the pack when it came to giving opportunities to players from diverse cultures and ethnicity.  Cec Thompson being a prime example. I have had the privilege of seeing many wonderful black players over the years .Green Vigo , Ellery Hanley, Henderson Gill and our own Dessie spring to mind. Rugby League has always judged players on their talent rather than their skin colour unlike the Dark side where prejudice ruled until relatively recent times.  

You are older than me Sandy,its more up your age group than mine??

1 hour ago, town4me said:

Do our  jam nosher neighbours ever play away from home?? They always seem to be at home.  They must  have a string of away games coming up. 

They were supposed to be playing away at Coventry today ,but the bears requested to reverse the fixture .

On 27/05/2019 at 15:51, Carlisle1921 said:

According to a work mate who sponsors haven most of the money on draught beer goes back to Carlsberg as part of the emergency loan they gave haven last season, so i imagine ot would take a lot more than 4 pints each to make a profit on the reduced entry

Ye apparently the club get very little from Carlsberg, all because of the money the brewery put in to keep the club a float, and its a 3 year agreement I was told, 

15 minutes ago, Brad hepis heed said:

Looking at their attendance figures  I'd say their offer is working ,over 900 there today against a team who will have brought very few fans ,and if it's getting people in the ground early spending on other things then I'd say it could be paying off .

I’d disagree. It’s the equivalent of a 700 crowd in terms of income which is poor considering the run they’re in. 

6 minutes ago, GeordieTownie said:

I’d disagree. It’s the equivalent of a 700 crowd in terms of income which is poor considering the run they’re in. 

The figures might add up to a standard 700 crowd but over 900 people physically went to the game, I don't think that's a bad turn out no matter what offer they took up

23 minutes ago, Town Army said:

The figures might add up to a standard 700 crowd but over 900 people physically went to the game, I don't think that's a bad turn out no matter what offer they took up

Think it shows how modest expectations are they’re top of the league absolutely flying and can’t break the thousand fans barrier even with community engagement and an excellent early admission offer 

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

2 hours ago, gillmeister said:

Think it shows how modest expectations are they’re top of the league absolutely flying and can’t break the thousand fans barrier even with community engagement and an excellent early admission offer 

they must have all been in the kells end cos there was nobody in the stand

Archived