Wolfpack games NOT being televised

7 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

That’s only seven clubs from twelve. I’m sure you could add a few more but in reality you shouldn’t have to select some teams. All SL clubs should be producing players.

So who are the owners of the clubs that don't ?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ojx said:

Genuine question, do SL clubs actually produce them? Or do they just hand out scholarships at 16 to the best players produced by the community clubs?

They do produce them , well they get them and develop them , some are better at it than others , some get the best talent to start with , which does make it easier 

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Hull doesn’t produce anywhere near the players they should, either now or any time in the past. One amateur club in Wigan produces more players for the pro game than the city of Hull does.

You mean St Pat's , Wigan's local amateur 'super club ' that they ' encourage ' all their local talent to join

6 hours ago, ojx said:

Genuine question, do SL clubs actually produce them? Or do they just hand out scholarships at 16 to the best players produced by the community clubs?

Leeds do a lot of work with community clubs and schools. I’d say if they take a player on at 15, after previously working with them, it’s fair to say they produced them.

6 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Leeds do a lot of work with community clubs and schools. I’d say if they take a player on at 15, after previously working with them, it’s fair to say they produced them.

As do loads of others , including many that don't have academies 

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Chris Hill ?

Who played for New Springs and was signed by Leigh. Wigan do not encourage players to play for any particular amateur team and scout every team. That's not to say that some parents don't think that their son has a better chance of being signed by a professional club if they play at St Pats.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Who played for New Springs and was signed by Leigh. Wigan do not encourage players to play for any particular amateur team and scout every team. That's not to say that some parents don't think that their son has a better chance of being signed by a professional club if they play at St Pats.

He was dropped from the Wigan scholarship for refusing to sign for Pats , I know this because I signed his first registration at Leigh and was told by his dad 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

He was dropped from the Wigan scholarship for refusing to sign for Pats , I know this because I signed his first registration at Leigh and was told by his dad 

Sorry that is nonsense. Wigan sign plenty of players from the other amateur clubs. I actually remember Chris Hill very well at that age and their was a lot of animosity between New Springs and St Pats and they were competing for every honour for years. Sounds like sour grapes to me because he wasn't wanted by Wigan.

12 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Then SL will have to be disappointed because not all players develop at the same rate. There are many examples of players who were cut by a SL club at a young age who went on to be SL players. There isn’t one SL club that produces 100% SL players instantly every season. It’s an impossible scenario. Why expect it from another club if you can’t achieve it yourself?

Because Perez promised...

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Sorry that is nonsense. Wigan sign plenty of players from the other amateur clubs. I actually remember Chris Hill very well at that age and their was a lot of animosity between New Springs and St Pats and they were competing for every honour for years. Sounds like sour grapes to me because he wasn't wanted by Wigan.

Well I've a choice , I believe you off the internet , or  Chris and his Dad who I know ? , Mmmm let me see ?

In fact he isn't the only one who has told me similar , done plenty of work with the RL community in Wigan as well as coached against plenty as well 

Blackbrook had a similar system in St Helens 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Well I've a choice , I believe you off the internet , or  Chris and his Dad who I know ? , Mmmm let me see ?

In fact he isn't the only one who has told me similar , done plenty of work with the RL community in Wigan as well as coached against plenty as well 

Blackbrook had a similar system in St Helens

I don't really care what you believe. I know you are talking nonsense. The facts speak for themselves about where Wigan sign players from. I also know various people within the Wigan setup who would say you are talking rubbish. We will just have to disagree on this.

6 hours ago, Jampot said:

I can see the point you're making, and in some ways I don't disagree with what you are saying.  However, if you asked any team, including Toronto, do you want to start the season with a long block of away matches thus in all likelihood putting yourselves under pressure in comparison to all other teams, I don't believe that any team would want that or consider that an advantage.  Quite the opposite, in fact.

Thanks you make some good points. I understand what you are saying also. I think the main advantage in this particular instance would be the reduction of travel. 

I did miss Toronto on tv today. Also people from other countries I watch the games with are both surprised and impressed that the game is played over in Canada and that they play against the small towns where we live. It gives it an international element. 

9 hours ago, Jampot said:

Why would SL want TWP?  Because of the increased exposure that SL would get, not only from Canada, but here as well. Because it will, in time, increase interest in the sport in Canada and this may, in time, lead to decent players being produced.   

Absolute rubbish. The TWP project is now three years old. They have done NOTHING towards developing players. There is no structure for this to happen as Argylle won't invest in one. As for your idea they are "expansion" more nonsense. The agreed definition of expansion (between the RFL and Perez and as also noted by McManus) is where more quality players are produced and more TV money is brought in. Did you not listen to Perez when he duly set out these things as his target for success? Can you not get it that shifting the Leigh team to Toronto. or the HKR team to Ottawa etc is NOT EXPANSION

13 hours ago, ojx said:

You didn't get a proper answer, no Academies  are not a "finishing school" you asked the wrong person, Deluded Pom just clowns about on here and he ain't even funny.  Superleague clubs openly promote the game in their area through running RL foundations which they all have a staff and budgets for. They create effective support for the local junior clubs. As professional sports clubs they inspire local kids to take up the game in the first place. I've set this out many times before but anything that shows TWP up for the lazy phoney club they really are get's ignored, because it shatters the dream.  SL clubs do not work hard at promoting the game here and player development to just hand the products over to North America. 

On 07/07/2019 at 00:57, burnleywelsh said:

I have put forward this point before, as have others. But, you have never responded.For every player/coach/assistant coach that TWP ‘steal’ from the English game, it creates an opportunity for a young player etc. to fill that space. 

Oh yes, once Jack Walker really hits his straps he can go play NRL and the lesser talented Ashton Golding can have his place. Anyway Gubrats had this answered as usual, it's all about having the best quality players we can on show in Superleague. It's the reason we had to drop the number of clubs in SL back in 2014. The quality at the bottom end was poor.  I don't think you were being serious though. The idea our SKY paymasters are happy to show any old Rugby League is quite absurd. This is why since 1996 they tend to pay ££Millions for an Elite Superleague and zero for the secondary competition. Bit of a clue for you, you may have missed?

6 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Do you think they would even play Rugby League in Leeds if Leeds RL didn't exist? Would we have the people to organise Junior ARL in Leeds if the Rhinos didn't exist? Of course they are responsible for kids wanting to play in the first place, and JARL existing, you are right, and of course they do a lot encouraging kids to play, and they do this by their foundation they pay for and staff.

Contrast this with TWP who do absolutely nothing at all - yet people say they are "expansion". Garbage......

11 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

You best tell Ratchford, Sneyd, Lannon, Adamson, the Walnes, the numerous players in the lower divisons etc etc that they were hallucinating their time at Salford. The problem the WHOLE GAME has is that young people are not been enticed to play it in any numbers at all.

Even in a hotbed like Hull reduced participation has seen the amatuer game reduced from nigh on 60 teams to just 7 in the local league and of course the recent farcical "professional" academy situation reducing numbers even more. Thats 1200+ potential players down to perhaps 150...in one of the hotbeds of the sport. The quality of those that do actually make it through is now questionable and this is filtering through to the "elite" division. Anybody remotely top class who the Aussies think can make it will soon jet off as a matter of course. The professional game is reliant on a few pockets of activity to produce ALL of its talent. 

Until all this is addressed we are just stagnating or marking time at best and even with the best intentions  Toronto nor any other virgin territory can contribute anything in the near to mid future at all.

Fabulous reality post but will it sink in when people aren't listening and are dreaming of a New York.v.Ottawa Grand final.

Right from the start of this Transatlantic nonsense it was obvious they offered nothing and three years on they have delivered nothing.

The long term Perez plan was always to remove half of the pro-clubs here, for his phoney clubs who as it turns out would ship relegated clubs players over there, a ridiculous and highly destructive move that would not only accelerate the loss on interest in the heartlands,  but lead to anger amongst people in the game. Why should Neil Hudgell and Tony Crossland bother to invest anymore, and why should 8,000 PAYING Hull.K.R. fans bother anymore if Toronto took their players and their place? Then when it happens again and Ottawa replace Huddersfield why should Ken Davey or anyone in the game in Huddersfield bother.

It's laughable, but it has been allowed to run now for three years and it's time to man up and put a stop to it. I can only hope McManus's public damning criticism (again roundly ignored by many on here), followed by Argylle stepping down and Ottawa not signing anyone despite a 2020 invite are signals this garbage is coming to an end  very soon.

1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

Oh yes, once Jack Walker really hits his straps he can go play NRL and the lesser talented Ashton Golding can have his place. Anyway Gubrats had this answered as usual, it's all about having the best quality players we can on show in Superleague. It's the reason we had to drop the number of clubs in SL back in 2014. The quality at the bottom end was poor.  I don't think you were being serious though. The idea our SKY paymasters are happy to show any old Rugby League is quite absurd. This is why since 1996 they tend to pay ££Millions for an Elite Superleague and zero for the secondary competition. Bit of a clue for you, you may have missed?

Or there could be an even better prospect than Jack Walker waiting in the wings, who at the moment is having his progress blocked by said Walker.

You have actually responded though, chwarae teg.

I don’t agree with you though

2 hours ago, The Parksider said:

You didn't get a proper answer, no Academies  are not a "finishing school" you asked the wrong person, Deluded Pom just clowns about on here and he ain't even funny.  Superleague clubs openly promote the game in their area through running RL foundations which they all have a staff and budgets for. They create effective support for the local junior clubs. As professional sports clubs they inspire local kids to take up the game in the first place. I've set this out many times before but anything that shows TWP up for the lazy phoney club they really are get's ignored, because it shatters the dream.  SL clubs do not work hard at promoting the game here and player development to just hand the products over to North America. 

Thanks for the information. I was interested to know how actively SL clubs were involved at the younger ages of player development. I wonder if this is true of all the SL teams? Do they all run these foundations?

18 hours ago, The Parksider said:

It's laughable, but it has been allowed to run now for three years and it's time to man up and put a stop to it. I can only hope McManus's public damning criticism (again roundly ignored by many on here), followed by Argylle stepping down and Ottawa not signing anyone despite a 2020 invite are signals this garbage is coming to an end  very soon.

You're right there, you are always good for a laugh.

But why do you even care? If TWP and Argyle and Perez are going to just go away in another couple of years, what harm have they done to the game you so obviously love? Everything will go back to the way it was, a sleepy little competition based in northern England, slowly bleeding to death.

Oh oh Parky has climbed out of his hole again...spouting his tiresome, bitter and twisted, rambling repetitive nonsense..in his view the game was fighting fit until the Wolfpack came along ruining everything by forming a winning club, introducing hordes of foreign fans to the game, forcing many heartland fans to take holidays and travel thousands of miles to see their team compete in front of SL size crowds, encouraging more Canadian and American teams to enter the competition and make things worse..and  having the audacity to not have formed homegrown talent pools despite having nearly 3 years(!) to make it happen. Pull up the drawbridge...Barbarians are at the gate!.

Archived