Reports suggest Toronto Wolfpack not guaranteed SL place

The Daddy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Good in, as we say in Leyth.

PS like in that other American sport where they wear more protection than an armadillo, and really they wear the protection to avoid injury inflicted by their opposition's protection!

Not that any of those superior rugby players have ever been able to cut the mustard in the NFL.  

You two need to shack up, the commentary is cringeworthy.

PS, Ice Hockey is played all over Europe, even in the UK, although it's acknowledged that your generally ###### at it.

Even with the supposed superiority of all things British sport, I note a distinct lack of dominance in all international competition.  Even in games you call your own.

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Not that any of those superior rugby players have ever been able to cut the mustard in the NFL.  

Indeed , but unlike your Mr Perez none of us have suggested converting from sport to sport is actually easy 

3 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

You probably can't even skate ?.  The interchanges are because ice hockey is mostly anaerobic meaning your body is gassed after 1 min of skating 100%.

Ice Hockey is a far more challenging sport than rugby of either code and it takes years of practice to become even somewhat decent at the sport and the skills required to play it.  Which is why you will never see a Rugby Player or any other football code cross over to ice hockey but there have been a number of successful Ice Hockey players that are mutlisport athletes.

Lionel Conacher and Carl Voss have their names on both the Grey Cup and the Stanley Cup.  

Lets strip them of all the pads, helmets and all the protection and see how they fare with that, someone once told me many years ago couple of Lads came over from America to attend one of the Manchester Uni's who played some standard of college football, through the relitives if one of them they had a connection with  North West Amatuer RL club who they went along a trained with, they were subsequently invited to play for the third team, one lasted let's say not very long, the other stayed on for the duration, it was their only appearance but after the game they were both of the opinion that RL player's are mad, no way should the game be played without a helmet and lots of padding it is just to physical to take part in, for safetys sake they would not be doing it again!

On 19/09/2019 at 08:18, Harry Stottle said:

What lawsuits, did the RFL not lose all rights to SL matters when the split came on who controls who and SL set up their own controlling body in 2018.

They did but if SL clubs want to stay as members of the RFL,have refs provided for them,get the disciplinary done for them,enter the CC then the RFL will still retain an influence. Even if that influence is reducing there’s still a point were the RFL can put their foot down. 

50 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I know this'll probably produce more street parties than when Margaret Thatcher popped her clogs Harry but that would be the end, yes.

I won't go into explanations though as it would last longer than John Bercow's goodbye.

Don't disappoint Oxy, please share, my post to your goodself was much longer than the bit you quoted, so you would abandon the both Salford and the game then, strange.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Lets strip them of all the pads, helmets and all the protection and see how they fare with that, someone once told me many years ago couple of Lads came over from America to attend one of the Manchester Uni's who played some standard of college football, through the relitives if one of them they had a connection with  North West Amatuer RL club who they went along a trained with, they were subsequently invited to play for the third team, one lasted let's say not very long, the other stayed on for the duration, it was their only appearance but after the game they were both of the opinion that RL player's are mad, no way should the game be played without a helmet and lots of padding it is just to physical to take part in, for safetys sake they would not be doing it again!

Yes we are all just a bunch of wimps over here Harry....that is why us wimps had to come over across the Big Water and save your bacon in  2 World Wars.

5 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

My only comment on this thread is that it needs locking. Comparing ice hockey and American football to rugby league is one thing, but now we are broaching 2 world wars? Behave,the lot of you.

YES SIR!

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nice story, I've played yawnion, gridiron and ice hockey.  Ice hockey hits are far more violent than any Rugby hit I've ever had. The speed and ferocity that hits are delivered at in ice hockey is immense.  Same with football where you can blindside someone.

Rugby is tough but it is no tougher than either of those sports.  The hits aren't as hard and there also isn't a puck going 100km/h that can kill you if it hits you.

10 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

My only comment on this thread is that it needs locking. Comparing ice hockey and American football to rugby league is one thing, but now we are broaching 2 world wars? Behave,the lot of you.

I'm just feeding the trolls.  They need their weekly fill of pie.

Also, that all started because one of the flatcaps insinuated that Canadians and Americans just "aren't tough enough" for Rugby League.

Which is laughable.

35 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Indeed , but unlike your Mr Perez none of us have suggested converting from sport to sport is actually easy 

Plenty Ex-Football players cutting their mustard in Yawnion.  Not that anyone is becoming a standoff but we have had a number over here play pro in Europe.

Jeff Hassler

Hubert Buydens

Paul Lasike

Jason Marshall

Joe Taufet'e

Thretton Palamo 

To name but a few

14 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Plenty Ex-Football players cutting their mustard in Yawnion.  Not that anyone is becoming a standoff but we have had a number over here play pro in Europe.

Jeff Hassler

Hubert Buydens

Paul Lasike

Jason Marshall

Joe Taufet'e

Thretton Palamo 

To name but a few

Or to name none , these aren't ' converts ' , they've played both sports at school , come on man play the game 

38 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

PS, Ice Hockey is played all over Europe, even in the UK, although it's acknowledged that your generally ###### at it.

Even with the supposed superiority of all things British sport, I note a distinct lack of dominance in all international competition.  Even in games you call your own.

No, thats so very wrong, a quick glance at the RLWC results, Olympic medal table or the FIFA World Cup results will tell you we are superb in international competition. 

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

Its hard being in the top 10 internationally in almost every major team sport and punching way above our weight in the olympics. 

Britain's problem isn't that we're not good at sport, its that unlike many countries, we play almost every one of them to a high level. 

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its hard being in the top 10 internationally in almost every major team sport and punching way above our weight in the olympics. 

Britain's problem isn't that we're not good at sport, its that unlike many countries, we play almost every one of them to a high level. 

Ah , but are we in the top 10 in Baseball ?

We could always send ST Paul's girls along to the WC ?

1 minute ago, Private Baldrick said:

Quoting myself here but I think it is still relevant.

Although we are playing really well, I think going to both Toronto and Toulouse and winning is asking a bit to much of the team. If we did, I think Mr Elstone and his peers would be having nightmares at the thought of Featherstone having a go in their Elite League, don't fit the profile I am sure would be the response.

1 hour ago, TboneFromTO said:

Some do, I have some friends that make the trip to a new arena each year to see the leafs play, plus regular trips to Boston mtl Ottawa and buffalo

But fortunately for the nhl away fans aren't a concern, I really hope that RL gets to that stage soon. I think RL deserves to not worry about away fans.

I don't think that will ever happen Tbone. 

I realise that through the information I have gleaned on these pages that in Canada and North America in particular the atmosphere and interaction between the respective supporters of the opposing teams is not of any importance, if you have never experienced it then I firmly believe you are really missing a part of what is good in sport and the game day participation and connection, it has sadly now finished for me this season, but last week I spent a good hour with some Fev fan's before the game and for a beer after it, and it was good to hear the atmosphere generated throughout the game from the teams respective fan's, all if this would be missing if we did not have visiting supporters to each other's grounds.

Now I will hide behind the couch, there have been a few games at my club that have been devoid of away fans this season most notably, TWP, T.O. and London but there have been others also, I accept that as a Championship club it happens, but it should not happen in my opinion in SL, interaction between opposing fans in Rugby League fans is great, yes sometimes it gets over exuberant, but not to often, it is useually passionate but controlled, I would not swop it for the world.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't think that will ever happen Tbone. 

I realise that through the information I have gleaned on these pages that in Canada and North America in particular the atmosphere and interaction between the respective supporters of the opposing teams is not of any importance, if you have never experienced it then I firmly believe you are really missing a part of what is good in sport and the game day participation and connection, it has sadly now finished for me this season, but last week I spent a good hour with some Fev fan's before the game and for a beer after it, and it was good to hear the atmosphere generated throughout the game from the teams respective fan's, all if this would be missing if we did not have visiting supporters to each other's grounds.

Now I will hide behind the couch, there have been a few games at my club that have been devoid of away fans this season most notably, TWP, T.O. and London but there have been others also, I accept that as a Championship club it happens, but it should not happen in my opinion in SL, interaction between opposing fans in Rugby League fans is great, yes sometimes it gets over exuberant, but not to often, it is useually passionate but controlled, I would not swop it for the world.

I was at Fev when twp played them (actually 32 twp away games and counting)

I've been to Lamport (4 times for Canada wolverines and twp once)

I'm a man city season ticket holder

I've been to away games supporting man city

I've been to away games supporting Toronto maple leafs, Toronto argos and Toronto blue jays. 

I've been to home and away games on both continents (Europe and na)

Don't tell me what you clearly don't know about

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

What major team sports?  

Oh I get it, the British ones.  

10 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Although we are playing really well, I think going to both Toronto and Toulouse and winning is asking a bit to much of the team. If we did, I think Mr Elstone and his peers would be having nightmares at the thought of Featherstone having a go in their Elite League, don't fit the profile I am sure would be the response.

Mr Elstone has promised to say who will be accepted or otherwise before the GF, if it happened to be TWP and Fev in the Final SL woukd not have big enough dangly bits to say both are not allowed.

Archived