18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking turns to score so far. Tonga 11:10 Samoa

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

So the South Sydney Lebanese Association beat England and France.  Great result for the International game ?

Oh there is an American of Lebanese decent who played Rugby 7s for the USA and plays for an MLR Rugby Union team, what did @The Parksidersay about North Americans not being able to play Rugby League ?

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

So the South Sydney Lebanese Association beat England and France.  Great result for the International game ?

I hate these types of comments. Ignorant and Xenophobic.

new rise.jpg

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Oh there is an American of Lebanese decent who played Rugby 7s for the USA and plays for an MLR Rugby Union team, what did @The Parksidersay about North Americans not being able to play Rugby League ?

South Sydney Lebanese Association?

What matters is if the Lebanese accept them, not if a Canadian has thoughts on how Lebanese culture should view identity. Each governing body should do what works for them and is acceptable to their people. What’s good for one nation isn’t good for another.

1 minute ago, lanzer98 said:

Johnson a joy to watch. 

Miked up, nd now they're showing clips of the first half with his audio.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I hate these types of comments. Ignorant and Xenophobic.

There is nothing xenophobic about it.  It's an Australian team of players with some lebanese heritage.  

I have nothing personally against anyone that is Lebanese.  But having a team of Australian based players representing Lebanon makes it a bit of a joke.

I think the same thing in other sport, baseball does similar ###### in the US with the World Baseball Classic when the field team "Italy" and it's more like Team Brooklyn Italians.

It's a gimick that undermines the integrity of the competition.  You end up with proper national associations like France losing to a bunch of Aussies that weren't good enough to rep the Kangaroos so they chose Plan B instead.

Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

So they lose the points from the France game but they would have been allowed to keep them if it was England? 

It would depend on whether they used the illegal players. They didn't lose the points for the England game because they didn't use any illegal players in that game.

17 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

But having a team of Australian based players representing Lebanon makes it a bit of a joke.

It’s only a joke if Lebanese people think it’s a joke.

Most of the Tongan and Samoan team have probably never lived in Tonga or Samoa but those nations strongly identify with those teams.

1 minute ago, Farmduck said:

It would depend on whether they used the illegal players. They didn't lose the points for the England game because they didn't use any illegal players in that game.

I know that but what I mean is, when it was thought the players were used in the England game they decided not to penalise Lebanon but it has seemingly been looked at again and they've found it was france the players were used against, not England, so then they do decide to penalise Lebanon after all.

I'm wondering if the original decision in terms of the England game was challenged and they've looked into all 3 Lebanese games and realised they'd made a mistake with the France game. 

Lebanon have been stripped of their World Cup 9s victory over France due to using an under-age player in that match.

Lebanon coach Rick Stone refused to blame the disqualification the players for his team falling short of a shock semi-final berth at the tournament.

The Cedars and Papua New Guinea’s women’s team were forced to play without two squad members each after tournament organisers advised that players who had not yet turned 18 were ineligible.

North Queensland's Jacob Kiraz had lined up for Lebanon in their first game against France on Friday but sat out of Saturday's win over England and loss to Wales.

Under International Rugby League rules, players only need to be 16 to play for their countries and Kiraz played for Lebanon in the mid-year Test against Fiji at Leichhardt Oval.

However, he and Cronulla SG Ball centre Jordan Samrani were not allowed to play in the World Cup 9s due to that tournament's rules. 

"The tournament manual provided to all nations prior to the commencement of the tournament clearly states that it remains the responsibility of each participating team to ensure its players are eligible in accordance with this regulation," a RLWC9s statement said on Saturday.

Lebanon have been stripped of the points earned in the France match, but the competition points were not awarded to France.

Orchids players Joyce Waula, 16, who was a member of the PNG women’s Nines team which won the silver medal at this year’s Pacific Games, and 17-year-old Brisbane schoolgirl Sera Koroi, were also unable to play.

An appeal to tournament organisers after Friday night’s round of matches was unsuccessful due to health and safety concerns.

While IRL rules allow 16-year-olds to play, players can not debut in the NRL until they have turned 18.

With the majority of the players in the World Cup 9s from the NRL and Super League competitions, tournament organisers were concerned about players yet to turn 18 playing against professionals and semi-professionals.

Lebanon and PNG officials did not become aware of any eligibility issues until Thursday night and it was too late to call in replacements.

"Jacob Kiraz played for us in the June Test and we were under the impression the rules were going to be the same," Stone said.

"Obviously the NRL is running the game on behalf of the international body and you have to be 18 to play in the NRL and they've obviously transferred those rules across.

"We didn't have to make any changes to our team because those boys hadn't played yet. That was the story."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/19/cedars-fall-short-of-semis-after-having-two-players-disqualified/

So it was only 1 illegal player who played against France and there was another 17-year-old in the squad who didn't play at all.

42 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

There is nothing xenophobic about it.  It's an Australian team of players with some lebanese heritage.  

I have nothing personally against anyone that is Lebanese.  But having a team of Australian based players representing Lebanon makes it a bit of a joke.

I think the same thing in other sport, baseball does similar ###### in the US with the World Baseball Classic when the field team "Italy" and it's more like Team Brooklyn Italians.

It's a gimick that undermines the integrity of the competition.  You end up with proper national associations like France losing to a bunch of Aussies that weren't good enough to rep the Kangaroos so they chose Plan B instead.

Dont worry about it.

Things are done differently outside Canada.

That's how this works, right?

45 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

There are 56,000 Lebanese born people in Sydney and over 200,000 in Australia that identify as Lebanese.

What language do you think these people speak at home? They likely have an extended network of Lebanese friends and family. Especially in a big city.

I know my wife grew up in a small town of 5,000 people, in Australia, speaking Spanish. The only people she knew outside of school also spoke Spanish. 

It's much more nuanced than "he was born/he grew up in X, so he can't represent Y".

Don't push your ideology onto how people should identify. 

new rise.jpg

Archived