Badge or Crest?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Irish Saint said:

I wish Saints would return to   R.L.F.C. instead of R.F.C.

No. I like the fact that Saints have RFC on their badge/crest.

It shows that they have not kow towed to the other lot and surrendered their heritage. They are a rugby club, formed before the split.

To be honest, I think that all clubs formed before the Northern Rugby Union changed to the Rugby Football League should be RFC. Those formed after, RLFC.

I’ll mention this, hoping that it won’t go cross code, all Union clubs should also be pre split RFC....post split, RUFC.

7 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

It shows that they have not kow towed to the other lot and surrendered their heritage. They are a rugby club, formed before the split.

To be honest, I think that all clubs formed before the Northern Rugby Union changed to the Rugby Football League should be RFC. Those formed after, RLFC.

I’ll mention this, hoping that it won’t go cross code, all Union clubs should also be pre split RFC....post split, RUFC.

I like how saints use RFC as well. It's like how we have almost always been F.C. cos we were the very first football club of any code in the city so we were the original Hull Football Club. I believe we were actually a soccer club to start with as well and then got some sense into our heads and switched to rugby! 

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't like Leigh's Centurions and never have done, it was I suppose novel in 1995 when they adopted it being the centenary of the game and Leigh being a founder member, but I suppose it is far better than the name that preceeded it, Leigh Bears, where the hell that came from I don't know, sorry Tommy if you are reading this but like the Rhino's I cannot see the relevance, my favourite of Leigh's was the town crest with Leigh over the top and simply R.L.F.C. beneath it.

There is a bear’s paw on the town coat of arms which was taken from the crest of Lord Lilford. Very similar reasoning to why Warrington are the Wolves, in fact.

3 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Fev tended to chop and change with various logos over the years as you can see below........following the trend for NRL style logos mentioned we went with a Pirate (not to sure why).......think we only used it for 2 seasons.

When Davide Longo joined the club he rightly decided to pick a brand and stick with it and i think the current logo is pretty successful.

We also changed our mascot from a Pirate to 'Percy the Pit Pony' which makes more sense and has also been pretty well received.

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 15.33.52.png

A ‘rover’ was another name for a pirate, I think (see Bristol Rovers being ‘the pirates’)?

45 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Cough sharks cough. 

<ahem>The Huddersfield Barracudas, playing at Arena 84<ahem>

As for badges v crests, there's a place for both. I prefer a crest on the actual playing strip, but they can look jarringly out of place on modern styles of branded leisure/sports clothing. Whether the badge is a stylised/simplified version of the crest or something all its own, a club should have both and use them accordingly.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

The suffixes are dreadful, Saints did well to avoid them, who on earth thinks of Wigan as the Warriors for example. Wakefield Trinity sounds really cool and traditional to me whereas adding Wildcats makes them sounds like a high school softball team. 

This gimmicky Yankee inspired stuff cheapens the product. It gives of a plastic/tacky vibe. Cheerleaders, pom poms, and of course the suffixes (to be fair I will make an exception for the Bradford Bulls...somehow the name seemed to work for them...rolls off the tongue).

The mascots are fine (been around since the ‘66 World Cup) as they are not high profile, plus are just for kids. All the other gimmicks I’d bin. 

Castleford Tigers, Wakefield Trinity Wildcats (good on them binning that nonsense), Widnes Vikings, Wigan Warriors....Wigan don’t need it (none of them do), Wigan stands on it’s own. 

The two biggest teams/brands in sport:

FC Barcelona...Barcelona Matadors. Real Madrid...Read Madrid Chiefs. 

The value of both would nosedive. It would be the equivalent of doing a Ratners.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't like Leigh's Centurions and never have done, it was I suppose novel in 1995 when they adopted it being the centenary of the game and Leigh being a founder member, but I suppose it is far better than the name that preceeded it, Leigh Bears, where the hell that came from I don't know, sorry Tommy if you are reading this but like the Rhino's I cannot see the relevance, my favourite of Leigh's was the town crest with Leigh over the top and simply R.L.F.C. beneath it.

Centurions: my first thought is the 1980s children’s animation (transformers type show)

The worst is some of the nicknames given to national teams...hearing Brian Noble at the last RWC say things like, “the Tomahawks” (for the US), The “Bravehearts” for the Scots. It doesn’t give the sport the gravitas it deserves.

Club RU has gone down the same gimmicky path.

The Brits created modern sports, yanks created gimmicks. Doesn’t seem a fair trade.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yet we were formed in 1878 and our centenary was in 1978.

I really don’t like the Centurions moniker and think we should get shut ASAP

We should be Leigh RFC

14 minutes ago, DC77 said:

The Brits created modern sports, yanks created gimmicks. Doesn’t seem a fair trade.

Agreed, it works well for them and that’s fine, but it just sounds and looks rubbish over here. If there was any sort of local reason for the name it might just about be ok (eg the Norfolk Iceni if we had a team down here, or the Ipswich Inbreds) but picking a wild animal that doesn’t even live in this country is pointless. 

6 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Fev tended to chop and change with various logos over the years as you can see below........following the trend for NRL style logos mentioned we went with a Pirate (not to sure why).......think we only used it for 2 seasons.

When Davide Longo joined the club he rightly decided to pick a brand and stick with it and i think the current logo is pretty successful.

We also changed our mascot from a Pirate to 'Percy the Pit Pony' which makes more sense and has also been pretty well received.

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 15.33.52.png

You forgot the first iteration of the Pirate logo, used on the 'Lionheart' shirts around he turn of the millenium.

Personally I love the old town crest embroidered badge from the old shirtss, but I understand that it doesn't lend itself well to marketing, merch etc. The current logo is a good balance.

pirates.png

6 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

You seem to have conflated the badge,and the use of the American name(s) to the sport of rugby league.

Taken from this excellent research and publication,from many years ago,proving that original thoughts and ideas never seem to emanate from this country.

Our Canadian friends may wish to read this - http://shura.shu.ac.uk/3161/2/10697447.pdf

Sheffield Eagles,who took the full name in 1984,long before Super League in 1996.Kudos to them.Have a new badge/crest/logo to be released shortly.The name remains the same. 

Interesting read that....page 64 (I’ve always stated US sport and their “franchise” (god I hate that word) system is cold, clinical and soulless, it’s good to see an actual study on it).

“In America, there is a demand for profit maximisation and an acceptance of club franchise moves, related to potentially larger supporter catchment areas, rather than any community history of support. This demonstrates that the close community ties associated with British sport tend not to exist in America. The importance of the local rivalries and community spirit that sport in Britain exhibits, have been neglected within the American literature relating to professional team sports.”

And that (among many other things) is why sport here trumps (pardon the pun) “sport” there. When the owners of Wimbledon (parasites) upped sticks and moved to Milton Keynes, it was rightly seen as an abomination. This moving around is one of the bedrocks of US “sport”. They do so as they are franchises, there to make money (for the owner who also picks up the bleedin trophy while those that won the thing watch him)... representing your community does not exist. The “fans” (not supporters, fans) are transient, they have to be as the franchise will soon up sticks and ###### off somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Yet we were formed in 1878 and our centenary was in 1978.

I really don’t like the Centurions moniker and think we should get shut ASAP

We should be Leigh RFC

Let's be lenient - Leigh can revive the "Centurians" nickname for the 2078 season. We'll all be dead by then, so someone else will have to get pointlessly angry about it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

I designed the current fev badge a few years ago back when our marketing budget was pretty much zero.

I used to help out with Graphic design bits and bats here and there.

It's obviously a simplified progression of the town coat of arms we'd previously always used which they struggled to reproduce on some merchandise.

Some modern logos are quite nice.........Torontos is a good one........some like Huddersfield Giants is not so good.

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 14.56.53.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 14.57.25.png

That's a really nice, clean, crisp looking logo. There's a lot going on, but it works well, I love it!

2 hours ago, hrtbps said:

You forgot the first iteration of the Pirate logo, used on the 'Lionheart' shirts around he turn of the millenium.

Personally I love the old town crest embroidered badge from the old shirtss, but I understand that it doesn't lend itself well to marketing, merch etc. The current logo is a good balance.

pirates.png

It isn’t necessarily a case of being merchandise-friendly, more than you can’t copyright it as it is essentially public property. Plenty of other clubs have fallen foul of similar situations, Leigh and Oldham spring to mind. Wigan is an exception as they use the old town crest rather than the Wigan borough crest (used by Wigan Athletic in the early 2000’s before they realised they couldn’t copyright it), though they did add the Wigan Warrriors scroll thing at the bottom as a means of safeguarding it. 

13 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

All photos and memorabilia for Leigh used RFC until around the 70’s then RLFC. I’ve seem Wembley 71’ memorabilia with Leigh RFC on.

The most annoying thing about the current Cent-ur-i-ons logo is that it dwarves the “Leigh” text. 

I wish we would ditch it....

59 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

All photos and memorabilia for Leigh used RFC until around the 70’s then RLFC. I’ve seem Wembley 71’ memorabilia with Leigh RFC on.

The most annoying thing about the current Cent-ur-i-ons logo is that it dwarves the “Leigh” text. 

I wish we would ditch it....

Nay Lobby, Leigh had RLFC on the club badge before the 70's, it was on the club Balzers for as long as I can remember, and as for RFC on the Wembley stuff it was most definatley Leigh RLFC on the shirt they played in.

But agree with the Centurions, it needs going to room 101

14 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Or FC 

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nay Lobby, Leigh had RLFC on the club badge before the 70's, it was on the club Balzers for as long as I can remember, and as for RFC on the Wembley stuff it was most definatley Leigh RLFC on the shirt they played in.

But agree with the Centurions, it needs going to room 101

Found this from 1954 Leigh players selected for the World Cup if you magnify picture on the under the badge it says RL Football Club, with Leigh above the badge.

346508732_LeighWorldCupplayersandPhysio1954.thumb.jpg.f16848c01fdad406a8155b0ce2dcbfa8.jpg

Swinton have always had a White Lion (or sometimes Blue Lion on white shirts) as we have always been known as the Lions, because when we first started out we used the White Lion pub on Chorley Road as our HQ/Changing Rooms (In the cellar), although the design has changed over the years.

Archived