John Drake

Sat 16 Nov: Test: Papua New Guinea v Great Britain KO 7.30am (UK Time) (BBC2)

Who will win?  

73 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 7 to 12 points
    • Great Britain by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/11/19 at 07:30

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

And of course we were today (like the Tonga game) short of an interchange player from the 1st minute.

You could maybe make the argument that we were short on leaders in the pack with Graham gone - no Sam Burgess etc.

3 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Playing the "Superleague Style" of course.

"Proper British rugby." In 1936 the Brits beat the Kangaroos 3-0 in that series and they didn't have any NRL players or OZ coaches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Thank Christ the tour is over

Lets never do GB again and get an English coach for an England tour next time. 

Oh and pick take some  *****ing wingers next time 

The GB element is a red-herring.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Playing the "Superleague Style" of course.

The style that has won zero World Cups since SL came along in the min-Nineties?

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely. I'd personally prefer Powell to Wane as I think I'd rather we play like Cas 2017 than Wigan Waneball. 

Choosing our captain will be interesting - I can't see Graham making 2021 and we shouldn't be going into a home world cup unprepared.

I would go for a Younger Player who is a sure thing for the 13. Bateman is the obvious candidate. I would pick Clarke at Hooker, Zak at full back barring someone having a huge year and next year, leave Hodgson, Graham, McGilivary, Hall, Hill, Austin and maybe even Widdop and Lomax out. 

With McGilivary I really like him as a player however I feel its 2 years on from 2017 and where he peaked and is now too slow for a International Winger at the Elite level. He lacks pace now. 

Edited by Southerner80

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Tom Burgess, while he obviously hasn't been on for 80 minutes, has been excellent, hitting hard and making plenty of post-tackle metres. And holding on to the ball, too.

I agree. I have defended Tom Burgess a lot over the last couple of years so I didn't want to go there again but I think he is one of the very few players to come out of this tour with his reputation intact.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely. I'd personally prefer Powell to Wane as I think I'd rather we play like Cas 2017 than Wigan Waneball. 

I have absolutely no problem with England having an Australian or Kiwi coach - we've seen loads of them doing very well coaching in SL. We should pick the best coach available and not worry about their accent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I agree. I have defended Tom Burgess a lot over the last couple of years so I didn't want to go there again but I think he is one of the very few players to come out of this tour with his reputation intact.

Despite the scoreline, I think today was his best game, especially when you consider how hard the Kumuls hit in defence.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Anybody mocking people for wanting a coach replaced for delivering our worst tour in living memory (0% win record including 2 losses versus tier 2 nations) is being an a-hole tbh.

This is hardly knee-jerk sulking.

*Mocking people to believe having a coach with a UK passport will magically change things 

• Like 2

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

11 minutes ago, damp squib said:

As always, the order of blame will be:

1. Coach

2. Australians

3. NRL based players

4. The NRL somehow

5. SL based players in order of which club you hate most.

Don't agree. The order of blame will be,  as it always has been for the past 30 or more years

1. Coach

2. Coach

3. Coach

4. Coach

5. Coach

Four legs good - two legs bad

Just now, wiganlad said:

Agree how many of the team would have been eligible for England and would of been playing if it was England 

Only Coote would have been ineligible.

Overall assessment of the GB lions tour = disappointing.

For GB/England to move forward we need either Wane or Powell to be the next head coach.

By the way congratulations to Tonga, New Zealand and Papau New Guinea. International Rugby League is on the up. ?

• Like 4

Okay, firing up the iPlayer for the Orchids' match now.

• Like 1

Just now, MatthewWoody said:

*Mocking people to believe having a coach with a UK passport will magically change things 

That has never been the argument. 

People with good points dont need to make things up.

• Like 1

Just now, Southerner80 said:

I would go for a Younger Player who is a sure thing for the 13. Bateman is the obvious candidate. I would pick Clarke at Hooker, Zak at full back barring someone having a huge year and next year, leave Hodgson, Graham, McGilivary, Hall, Hill and maybe even Widdop and Lomax out. 

I like Bateman as a player but can't help but think he would be a poor captain. 

Widdop has had a poor series yeah but he's been injured for a lot of the season iirc? Lomax also suffers from playing halfback for the best team in the league all year then being asked to play Full back for the national side - just another Bennett quirk.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Thank Christ the tour is over

Lets never do GB again and get an English coach for an England tour next time. 

Oh and pick take some  *****ing wingers next time 

Lol, yes, because a touring England team would have done so much better, what with exactly the same players and coach

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Okay, firing up the iPlayer for the Orchids' match now.

Well GB can't possibly lose that one. So there's that to consider.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

Don't agree. The order of blame will be,  as it always has been for the past 30 or more years

1. Coach

2. Coach

3. Coach

4. Coach

5. Coach

Yes, we have never seen players criticised have we John?

Why are you falling into this alternative truth trap?

Just now, MatthewWoody said:

Reminds me of the England Football team, where various empty vessels bellowed about "pride an' passion", while ignoring the fact that the players just weren't performing. That they are currently doing well under an English coach is down to that coach being unafraid of picking young talent over serial failures, not where he was born.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dave T said:

That has never been the argument. 

People with good points dont need to make things up.

Nor do they need to call people @rseoles.

• Confused 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

With a coach I feel a SL based Coach is a must. There's alot of SL based players who could have been better selections, Grace, Evalds, McShane, Abdull just to throw out some names who may well have done a job. 

• Haha 1