golden point

tms

Golden point extra-time will be available in all Championship and League 1 fixtures in 2020

When a game is level at the sounding of the final hooter, each team will take one point for earning a draw. A third competition point will then be made available to the first team to score in two five-minute periods of extra-time.

Sensible improvement.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, POR said:

Golden point extra-time will be available in all Championship and League 1 fixtures in 2020

When a game is level at the sounding of the final hooter, each team will take one point for earning a draw. A third competition point will then be made available to the first team to score in two five-minute periods of extra-time.

Word

I see the sense in this, but it does create an unlikely, but possible, perverse incentive for two sides to settle for a draw in normal time. Only time will tell.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

9 hours ago, DEANO said:

Tosh. What’s wrong with a draw

I wholly agree, Deano.

This is part of a pervasive American (and to an extent, Australian) sporting culture that seems to abhor a draw.  Even in America, things have changed over the decades.  Those of us of a certain age can recall NHL regular season matches routinely ending as 'ties', with one point each.

There is also a certain lack of logic about saying that a golden point win is as good as a regulation time one (i.e. both earn two points) whereas to lose to a golden point is not as bad as losing after 80 minutes.  If you must go down the golden point route, then give three points for an 80-minutes win, two for one in extra time, one for an extra time defeat and none for losing in 80 minutes.  That, of course, implies the need for there to be a winner, possibly via a penalty shoot out, however that might be formulated in RL.

Or, lets just stick with the concept that a draw is fine and forget this golden point nonsense!

Ridiculous. The ‘points value’ of every single match should be the same - 2 points. Two teams participating in a drawn match should not ‘benefit’ from not being good enough to win in normal time by having an 3rd point available - that is grossly unfair to a team that wins in normal time. Not even the NRL allows this. Every NRL competition match has the same value of 2 points. Games can even be ‘fixed’ to allow the losing team an extra point on the ladder. I am not in favour of golden point in any case - it should be a draw after 80 minutes and even in finals a set period of extra time should be played not first scorer wins.

1 hour ago, Bluebags1973 said:

Ridiculous. The ‘points value’ of every single match should be the same - 2 points. Two teams participating in a drawn match should not ‘benefit’ from not being good enough to win in normal time by having an 3rd point available - that is grossly unfair to a team that wins in normal time. Not even the NRL allows this. Every NRL competition match has the same value of 2 points. Games can even be ‘fixed’ to allow the losing team an extra point on the ladder. I am not in favour of golden point in any case - it should be a draw after 80 minutes and even in finals a set period of extra time should be played not first scorer wins.

I'm not really a big fan of Golden Point but I think this system is fairer than the one in SL. The maximum pints a team can get from a game is still 2 points but at least this way the team that was drawing at full time at least gets something from it.

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm not sure why that's better. The losing team in golden point, lost. They didnt draw. They lost. 

They drew in normal time so I think it's 'fair' they get a point,  but they then lost in the extra time period, golden point at the moment isn't really a golden point, it's golden 2 points ?

As I say I'm not totally on board with GP in any form I think a draw is a perfectly acceptable outcome to a game of RL unless its a knock out game.

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Don’t care how they spin , it’s manufactured jazzed up nonsense imo . Teams put the effort in and earn a draw - what’s wrong with that in a league format? 
And you can get a draw after 90 but not 80 ?.  

Couldn’t agree more. It’s a gimmick. Manufactured. Nothing wrong with a draw. And in finals where there must be a winner - it’s a set period play that must be played through - so at least there’s a ‘better’ team over 20 minutes extra time where both teams have opportunities to score.

41 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I'm not really a big fan of Golden Point but I think this system is fairer than the one in SL. The maximum pints a team can get from a game is still 2 points but at least this way the team that was drawing at full time at least gets something from it.

I understand your point, but the golden point match ends up with 3 points on offer in value overall, instead of the regulation 2. This then provides an imbalance. Every ‘contest’ for points should present an equal value.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Think I counted yesterday that across the two leagues there were seven or eight draws in 2019. So it’s going to effect very few games. 

Then why bother

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

It may be mildly interesting to know if this was the idea of the RFL attempting to add to the idea taken by Super League from the NRL,or of the club owners,of championship/League 1 clubs, wanted it implemented.

I shouldn't think the coaches and/or players were consulted.

Or maybe the idea was drawn from a hat.

We sometimes get informed as to how a decision was reached...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived