1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

Can we all just agree that all sports are great apart from rugby union which is unwatchable drivel?

RL

Football (but not Premier League even though I support a (current) PL club, modern football is rubbish)

NFL

I’d have to be really bored to watch anything other than those three. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scotland has a population of 5.4 million, almost identical to the county of Yorkshire. Given the difference in size between the country and the county (result being Scotland is sparsely populated, Yor

So how did we get from talking about Jacksonville Axemen to Scottish football?

Not my cup of tea either, but I’d say it probably is the second biggest sport in the world, certainly in terms of geographic spread (cricket and one billion Indians often gets brought up to counter th

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

RL

Football (but not Premier League even though I support a (current) PL club, modern football is rubbish)

NFL

I’d have to be really bored to watch anything other than those three. 

NCAA football has got the NFL beat. Far more upsets, fantastic crowd atmosphere (90000 at Camp Randall in Wisconsin jumping around at the end of the 3rd quarter)

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s not on over here though. 

Bt sports have it on occasionally. It is just a better game to watch than the NFL, it's quicker, more special plays, more mistakes,and the players just seem to want to play more.  Watch a few SEC teams as they tend to be more offensive. There are 8 college stadiums over 100,000 and 10 bigger than the largest NFL stadium.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, westside said:

There’s something called the California Rugby League trying to kick off but until this point RL has mostly been played in the eastern part of the country. Pacific Islanders mainly live out west so it’s a place RL will want to try to grow.

I can only find two teams in that league. I would have thought they had a few local teams, maybe not on an interstate level, with the industries in California and it's location.

1 hour ago, North but south said:

Bt sports have it on occasionally. It is just a better game to watch than the NFL, it's quicker, more special plays, more mistakes,and the players just seem to want to play more.  Watch a few SEC teams as they tend to be more offensive. There are 8 college stadiums over 100,000 and 10 bigger than the largest NFL stadium.

BT Sports have at least three live games every week.

This Saturday evening it's the Iron Bowl between Auburn and Alabama. Auburn football's stadium is bigger than the town of Auburn.

There will be 87,000 there.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

NCAA football has by far the best atmospheres in American sports and this is rivalry week, the best time of the year. There will be a bunch of great games this weekend. Auburn vs Alabama, South Carolina vs Clemson, Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State, Ohio State vs Michigan.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Hi Kerry,

Good to see you have toned your hate of RL down for this forum compaired to the views you air on the BBC Have Your Say forum.

Any actual thoughts on the Axemen?

One thing that is pleasantly surprising, and which DC77 shows well, is the sheer amount of fans in Ireland. In the last year or so there have been countless new posters from Ireland. It really is great to see the amount of new fans there. And yes I'm sure it's a coincidence that the posting style is always the same.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

BT Sports have at least three live games every week.

This Saturday evening it's the Iron Bowl between Auburn and Alabama. Auburn football's stadium is bigger than the town of Auburn.

There will be 87,000 there.

There are almost 50 stadiums bigger than 60,000 capacity (some are NFL stadiums as well).

Other notable examples of stadiums bigger than the town they're in:

- Penn State’s Beaver Stadium (106,500) in State College (42,500)

- Alabama’s Denny-Bryant Stadium (101,800) in Tuscaloosa (101,000)

- Memorial Stadium (81,500) in Clemson, SC (17,000)

American Thanksgiving, best time of the year for a fan of American football. Pretty much non-stop for 4 days.

• Like 2

Yes, College Football teams are huge, they are professional teams in all but name. It also takes massive advantage of poor, mainly African-American athletes, from working class backgrounds. Not paying athletes who provide the revenue of a huge TV deals and 80,000 crowds is disgusting.

• Like 3

*gratuitous addition of even more sports to this thread by way of a general statement*

If even Pickleball, Spikeball, Cornhole and Ultimate Frisbee can get on ESPN then surely there’s a space for rugby league.

Edited by Copa
5 hours ago, ojx said:

Yes, College Football teams are huge, they are professional teams in all but name. It also takes massive advantage of poor, mainly African-American athletes, from working class backgrounds. Not paying athletes who provide the revenue of a huge TV deals and 80,000 crowds is disgusting.

They’re getting an education that they might otherwise not get though. 

On 25/11/2019 at 21:55, Michael1812 said:

Basketball is massive in the Philippines. 

Its not that the basketball is massive, its about 9.4 inches diameter, maybe the people are smaller. 

• Haha 3
8 hours ago, ojx said:

They are getting free tuition and board which is around $50k per year. They are also receiving, as of this year, payment for image rights. They were also allowed payments up to $10k for performance, and were allowed to receive gifts. They are also allowed to go pro in another sport and still remain eligible. 

But this does show how important it is to get rugby league into college's. Nebraska volleyball has an average attendance of 8000. People will watch a sport if their college is playing it, schools are more likely to take the sport up and kids are more likely to play or stay with the sport.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Damien said:

One thing that is pleasantly surprising, and which DC77 shows well, is the sheer amount of fans in Ireland. In the last year or so there have been countless new posters from Ireland. It really is great to see the amount of new fans there. And yes I'm sure it's a coincidence that the posting style is always the same.

We’ve also had an influx of posters from Hunslet.  Could this mean a resurgence?

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

We’ve also had an influx of posters from Hunslet.  Could this mean a resurgence?

Or high-speed internet has finally reached Hunslet.?

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

Sort of an education: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/unc-investigation-athletes-pushed-into-fake-classes-by-counselors/ 

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

56 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Also, count the number of international-class competitors in the (allegedly for students) Boat Race who happen to be studying "Land Management".

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

17 hours ago, Eddie said:

A tiny amount compared to the value of the TV contracts and huge crowds. These games are commercially as big as NFL matches and what are they earning?

14 hours ago, North but south said:

They are getting free tuition and board which is around $50k per year. They are also receiving, as of this year, payment for image rights. They were also allowed payments up to $10k for performance, and were allowed to receive gifts. They are also allowed to go pro in another sport and still remain eligible. 

Still massively undervalued.