1 hour ago, DiH68 said:

As a bit of an aside, but kind of related, how many people do you think watch live terrestrial tv in the UK now? I know here in Aus I watch everything on demand now, have done for a year or two, and that’s how most people I know watch tv. So I have to specifically hunt out a channel/show to watch it. I will go to Fox Sports when I know an RL game is on to watch it, but I no longer ‘flick through channels’ so will never come across something by chance. Is this common in the uk now too? Because if it is it should mean a complete revamp in how we market our games 

I flick through the channels, but i don't pay for Netflix, Amazon Prime, BT Sport or Sky Soccer, F1, Cricket. I don't like the way Sky have their channels presently.   

4 hours ago, Moove said:

Well this thread escalated quickly. Always find it funny that lefties claim right wing bias from the beeb, while righties claim left wing bias. Much like referees I guess if both sides think they're biased it usually means they're either doing a good job or just plain unbiased but terrible.

Anyway, on topic, I can't see why we'd give up the viewing figures for the Challenge Cup to 'downgrade' to C4. Similar to a point I made on the Amazon thread though, if we're able to split SL rights up into packages there's maybe an option to sell small runs of games or an event like Magic Weekend to other providers for more exposure.

We're talking here of BBC Sport, not BBC News and Current Affairs.  

No one actually watches Channel 4.

What is the Heineken Cup? Anyone know?

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

I actually prefer the Beeb commentary team over those of sky (even Jiffy at a push) and would much rather see a terrestrial channel take our game and give it a new twist. 

• Like 1

Part time teams, i call them amateur sides; if you're not a full-time professional, you're an amateur IMO. Halifax have about a 1% chance of winning the Challenge Cup Final next year I'd say, they therefore should not be in the competition. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Part time teams, i call them amateur sides; if you're not a full-time professional, you're an amateur IMO. Halifax have about a 1% chance of winning the Challenge Cup Final next year I'd say, they therefore should not be in the competition. 

Well Leicester City have no chance of winning the Premier League this season so should just stop now.......

12 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Well Leicester City have no chance of winning the Premier League this season so should just stop now.......

You can't compare RL to soccer. Besides Leicester are full-time, they have a top drawer keeper and centre-forward. When they won the PL a few yrs ago they had the best all-round defensive midfielder on the planet IMO, R Huth is underrated, D Drinkwater was signed by Chelsea, R Mahrez was on the short list for FIFA player of the yr this year, they're owned by a billionaire, and it's a decent part of England to live. Leicester won stuff before 2016 too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

You can't compare RL to soccer. Besides Leicester are full-time, they have a top drawer keeper and centre-forward. When they won the PL a few yrs ago they had the best all-round defensive midfielder on the planet IMO, R Huth is underrated, D Drinkwater was signed by Chelsea, R Mahrez was on the short list for FIFA player of the yr this year, they're owned by a billionaire, and it's a decent part of England to live. Leicester won stuff before 2016 too. 

Well 5000 to 1 says different and I bet Halifax arnt at 5000 to win - just sit back and enjoy it son, they probably wont win it but at least give them a chance to take part.

• Like 1

I didn't watch any single game of the Challenge Cup live, always on catch up

I went to the CC Final

The BBC do a really good job of the Challenge Cup and the internationals, its much improved

Its a wider questions as to whether the BBC actually has a place in the broadcasting spectrum these days as they are publically funded and have been mouth piece for the current government in the past month or 2 that you seriously have to question their existence

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Well 5000 to 1 says different and I bet Halifax arnt at 5000 to win - just sit back and enjoy it son, they probably wont win it but at least give them a chance to take part.

The bookies don't give odds like that anymore because they know they were ridiculous, as every 20 to 25 yrs with the Champions League and Europa Cup, some teams not involved will win the PL, but will they win it 2 or 3 yrs in a row, that's the challenge, and to win the Europa or Champions League, if somebody told me tomorrow that in a few yrs Nottingham Forest will win the PL, i'd believe them, same goes for Derby or Watford.  

2 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

I didn't watch any single game of the Challenge Cup live, always on catch up

I went to the CC Final

The BBC do a really good job of the Challenge Cup and the internationals, its much improved

Its a wider questions as to whether the BBC actually has a place in the broadcasting spectrum these days as they are publically funded and have been mouth piece for the current government in the past month or 2 that you seriously have to question their existence

IMO the BBC should not be allowed to pay for live sport on TV; radio is different. Sports could obviously pay the BBC to show some of their matches live, same goes for highlights. We should be playing a lot less for the BBC, especially Welsh speakers, it's disgraceful the number of Welsh language programmes on TV and radio. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

The bookies don't give odds like that anymore because they know they were ridiculous, as every 20 to 25 yrs with the Champions League and Europa Cup, some teams not involved will win the PL, but will they win it 2 or 3 yrs in a row, that's the challenge, and to win the Europa or Champions League, if somebody told me tomorrow that in a few yrs Nottingham Forest will win the PL, i'd believe them, same goes for Derby or Watford.  

Yep, if someone told me that Salford would get to a grand final I would have never believed them..... good job we didnt stand them down years previous as they obviously had no chance to win the grand final...... as crazy as say Croatia getting to a WC final or Danny Willett winning the masters- total waste of time them even taking part....

4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yep, if someone told me that Salford would get to a grand final I would have never believed them..... good job we didnt stand them down years previous as they obviously had no chance to win the grand final...... as crazy as say Croatia getting to a WC final or Danny Willett winning the masters- total waste of time them even taking part....

Croatia got to a WC Cup semi-final in 1998, they produce some of the best soccer players on the planet. Willett is a full-time pro, could J Donaldson win an Open, yes, i think he can. RU got rid of their open cup competitions years ago, and rightly so, because it's dangerous. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Croatia got to a WC Cup semi-final in 1998, they produce some of the best soccer players on the planet. Willett is a full-time pro, could J Donaldson win an Open, yes, i think he can. RU got rid of their open cup competitions years ago, and rightly so, because it's dangerous. 

Not sure what your point is son. The FA cup and Soccer WC are open to semi pro players/ teams - are you saying it shouldn't be?.

Willett was longer odds for the Masters than Halifax are for the CC but I'm assuming you know better than the bookies marra.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Not sure what your point is son. The FA cup and Soccer WC are open to semi pro players/ teams - are you saying it shouldn't be?.

Willett was longer odds for the Masters than Halifax are for the CC but I'm assuming you know better than the bookies marra.

I assume that's because there are far more golf pros than RL teams in Britain, i guess it's down to maths. But as i said you can't compare RL to soccer; soccer is semi-contact, RL is full-contact, and as for golf, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I assume that's because there are far more golf pros than RL teams in Britain, i guess it's down to maths. But as i said you can't compare RL to soccer; soccer is semi-contact, RL is full-contact, and as for golf, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Yep your drunk, cracking up, a troll or just Welsh by the looks of it kid - I'm sorry about that.

Not really worth a grown up discussion with any of the above.

11 hours ago, Dave W said:

The big problem with the Challenge Cup on the BBC is - thanks to the seeding system - the big clubs don't get involved until the last 16, substantially reducing their potential TV exposure. 

It's no wonder the average viewer doesn't know any Rugby League players any more. 

Every pro club should be in the hat for the first round. 

I’ve often said that the CC should be pool stage for the last 16. 12 SL teams and 4 qualifying non SL teams. 4 pools of 4, SL teams seeded as per their SL position at time of draw (bringing more importance to early SL rounds).

That gives the RFL and the BBC two or three fixtures for the three groups stage weekends as well as two fixtures for both quarter and semi final stages, all with SL standard performances.

• Like 3

By pure coincidence,I’ve written a song about this.
Its in a Ramones style. So..

Let’s ditch the BBC x4

Oh Ya.

It’s a yes from me. 👍🏻

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Sounds 'kin awful.

Genuinely.

Grim.

If the next Marc Cécillon were playing, it might be a useful early-warning system.

The BBC coverage of rugby league has gone from abysmal to excellent in the last 7-8 years, and for a while now has been more insightful and enjoyable than much of the Sky stuff.

As a sport we should always keep asking ourselves whether our broadcasting deals do what we need them to, but instantaneously 'ditching' the BBC would be madness. 

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Duplicate post

Edited by Just Browny

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

By pure coincidence,I’ve written a song about this.
Its in a Ramones style. So..

Let’s ditch the BBC x4

Oh Ya.

It’s a yes from me. 👍🏻

You must have missed the reason, the BBC gave up on us, although not totally giving up on us.

Terrestrial tv, will always carry more weight than celestial in this sport.

17 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Time for us to ditch the BBC and let another terrestrial channel do something similar with the Challenge cup?

New presenters, new format, a build up show getting to see the characters.....

No.

• Like 1

Rugby League: Alive and Handling