Michael Gove and the RL World Cup

Watching BBC's Breakfast Show this morning and in an interview with Michael Gove he mentioned that one of Nicky Morgans proirities in her new role was to deliver a successful Rugby League World Cup in 2021.

Amongst all their tasks at the moment I wasn't expecting that.

Is this a thank you for"Workington Man"?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Watching BBC's Breakfast Show this morning and in an interview with Michael Gove he mentioned that one of Nicky Morgans proirities in her new role was to deliver a successful Rugby League World Cup in 2021.

Trying to keep us onside for as long as possible and they see this as one of the ways. I would also hope that somehow some clubs can access government funding to update stadiums.

I don't want this to turn into a politics thread, but the RLWC is the biggest event set to be staged in the UK in the next 5 years (as well as some of the Euros at Wembley and Hampden Park next summer). That alongside the number of Northern MPs now in the Tory party will probably have an impact.

As a game (and as a region more broadly) we should look to take advantage of the current political situation. Wakefield and Workington for example are areas in need of both regeneration and new sporting facilities that could benefit from a more amenable national government. 

the demand for international rugby league is much higher in england.  with the rise of tonga, and hopefully samoa with sonny bill, it could be the most succesful yet.

the biggest thing the ARLC can do for international rugby league is work on all the pacific islands.  this would give the RLWC a huge boost in terms of competitive teams.

it wouldnt take a lot of money either.

theyve spent hardly anything on tonga.  allowing pacific islanders to play origin and pick a tier two nation is one great way to facilitate this.

1 hour ago, bamfordsbeans said:

But  ironically largely thanks to our newly elected ‘workington man’  we haven’t got a RLWC 2021 ...

51 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't want this to turn into a politics thread, but the RLWC is the biggest event set to be staged in the UK in the next 5 years (as well as some of the Euros at Wembley and Hampden Park next summer). That alongside the number of Northern MPs now in the Tory party will probably have an impact.

As a game (and as a region more broadly) we should look to take advantage of the current political situation. Wakefield and Workington for example are areas in need of both regeneration and new sporting facilities that could benefit from a more amenable national government. 

Not disagreeing with you one bit Thomas totally on your side, it was the manner TFiL responded that led to my response.

Given that the Tories will look to give back to those non-traditional areas in the north that voted Tory, this is certainly a prime opportunity to leverage greater support. I know there's already a legacy for RLWC 2021, which the government have committed to funding but the powers that be should be all over this, in the eyes and ears of the powerbrokers.

I think the recent social impact report was really good and important by RFL, as it showed how much impact RL has and the value of it, which is far greater than just the economic value. The time is ripe - don't waste it

2 hours ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Ha ha.... Embracing the working class north 

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Probably not but its still good for the sport.

Exactly. They don't have to be interested all that much, but if they think they can get political capital and the game can benefit from it then surely the RFL alongside its Welsh and Scottish counterparts aught to be taking advantage. 

Indeed the fact that they're not as personally interested may be a bonus, as they're more likely to sign off on umbrella "Northern" stuff now than previously.

That bloke could single handedly be the biggest backer RL the world has ever seen, single handedly build a new stadium in Cas and I still wouldn't give him the steam off my urine

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Hey Govey had power, pace and great balance in his day - a fantastic wide running second rower:

2062130A-BF31-48A1-A88C-F6E833934D2D.jpeg

I’m imagining Sam Burgess and Jason Taumalolo just out of shot waiting to put in a huge shot 

48 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

That bloke could single handedly be the biggest backer RL the world has ever seen, single handedly build a new stadium in Cas and I still wouldn't give him the steam off my urine

I'm not sure he'd really want the steam off your urine to be fair.......................doesn't sound wholly appealing

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'm not sure he'd really want the steam off your urine to be fair.......................doesn't sound wholly appealing

I don’t know , he’s all for green energy . He could harness it to run a small lightbulb 

Archived