Sign in to follow this  
Chris22

Worst referreing decision to benefit your team...

8 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Didn’t read your first bit I thought you were backing me up as Joynt didn’t allow himself to be tackled he got up again. 

The law only states he hasn't got to throw himself on the ground ... not that someone then needs to tackle him or that he is allowed to then stand up and play on. Decisions can only be given as per what is actually writteni n the Laws of the Game.

When Joynt starts to go down the nearest Bradford player is still not within arms reach of him.

As a neutral ,  if that wasn`t a voluntary tackle then i don`t know what is , Joynt only regained his feet because he was expecting the whistle .

1 minute ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The law only states he hasn't got to throw himself on the ground ... not that someone then needs to tackle him or that he is allowed to then stand up and play on. Decisions can only be given as per what is actually writteni n the Laws of the Game.

When Joynt starts to go down the nearest Bradford player is still not within arms reach of him.

1995 WC final: Newlove try

17 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Decisions can only be given as per what is actually writteni n the Laws of the Game.

Nah - there's tons of interpretation with plenty of rules.

18 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yeah because he jumps out of the way 😁. Massive straw clutching from Bulls fans there. The game didn't hinge on that decision - they'd already lost.

Watching it back makes me realise how much I miss the Bulls being in big games.

6 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Nah - there's tons of interpretation with plenty of rules.

Yeah because he jumps out of the way 😁. Massive straw clutching from Bulls fans there. The game didn't hinge on that decision - they'd already lost.

Watching it back makes me realise how much I miss the Bulls being in big games.

We will have to disagree on this one. In my view Joynt actually starts to go down well before Deacon is within touching distanced of him and who then doesn't attempt to touch him because he sees what Joynt is doing.

Went to Willows Salford in 1997.

CC tie v Paris.

Paris try scored in corner ruled out for forward pass at the death. 

Salford won 8-4.

Urban myth that Paris could not have staged replay as Charlety Stadium unavailable mid week. Unlikely Paris would have kicked conversion as it would have been so difficult for Jeremy Robinson (?)

6 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Since we still have 3 weeks of the off season left, thought we might have another very much off season topic. The majority seem to enjoy slagging off referees, sometimes to an obsessive extent, so I thought we would flip it! What is the worst refereeing decision you can remember than has benefitted your team?

I'll start with Saints...a disallowed Bradford try in the 2002 Grand Final that would have put the Bulls up 12-0 after around 10 minutes. It was ruled a knock on against a Bradford player despite clearly being stripped by Paul Newlove. How different things could have been if that try was awarded!

I think that's still the worst decision I've ever seen. You can forgive the on-field ref for a mistake when there's a lot happening very quickly, but this was the VR. No excuse whatsoever. The players of both sides, and the match ref, were visibly gobsmacked. 

Bradford were rampant at the time and I suspect would have won with a bit to spare.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

I remember us (workington) getting a brilliant decision against York many years ago. A town player knocked on straight into a a York players arms, a different town player then tackled him and took the ball in the tackle and scored. Everyone just waited for the knock on yo be given, instead the ref ran and pointed for the try, the whole crowd was gobsmacked. 

Now a cas fan needs to do one about a ref mistaking enormous dark skinned Fijian prop Jimmy pickering for ginger white skinned Lee crooks. 

1 minute ago, dkw said:

I remember us (workington) getting a brilliant decision against York many years ago. A town player knocked on straight into a a York players arms, a different town player then tackled him and took the ball in the tackle and scored. Everyone just waited for the knock on yo be given, instead the ref ran and pointed for the try, the whole crowd was gobsmacked. 

Now a cas fan needs to do one about a ref mistaking enormous dark skinned Fijian prop Jimmy pickering for ginger white skinned Lee crooks. 

Off topic I know.

Lee Crooks pointed out in his autobiography that if Hull had not missed 5 goal kicks v Wigan Wembley 1985 then maybe Wigan would not have had a decade of domination thereafter.

9 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

We will have to disagree on this one. In my view Joynt actually starts to go down well before Deacon is within touching distanced of him and who then doesn't attempt to touch him because he sees what Joynt is doing.

Fair enough. I might have had more sympathy for Bradford if Deacon hadn't jumped out of the way, but he was playing for the penalty. Bulls were losing in the dying seconds, and he was clutching at straws to try and make something out of nothing.

For me that's completely different to the Magic Weekend debacle, where Bulls were winning in the dying seconds, and then were completely robbed with the offside try. There's no comparison between the two for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Fair enough. I might have had more sympathy for Bradford if Deacon hadn't jumped out of the way, but he was playing for the penalty. Bulls were losing in the dying seconds, and he was clutching at straws to try and make something out of nothing.

For me that's completely different to the Magic Weekend debacle, where Bulls were winning in the dying seconds, and then were completely robbed with the offside try. There's no comparison between the two for me.

Second one - agreed.

Regarding the voluntary tackle, I am going by the actual law of it (ie: a player cannot just throw himself on the floor when not held) - there is no rule to say a player HAS TO tackle an opponent.

1 hour ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Danny McGuire (?) try GF 2015

I think you may  have missed the point of this thread. Although there's nothing in McGuire's tries which was contentious.

Coventry have only been pro since 2015 and have never had a flukey call or try😎

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The law you showed clearly says the player shouldn’t allow himself to be tackled. So are you going by this law or not. 

Edited by bobbruce

20 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

The law you showed clearly says the player shouldn’t allow himself to be tackled. So are you going by this law or not. 

Yes ... and by falling to the floor without being held he is allowing himself to be tackled. The law DOES NOT say an opponent has to then actually tackle him in order to get the penalty; it just refers to the player in possession ALLOWING that to happen.

I remember Neil Summers of Bradford Northern' touching down' on the 10m line and Robin Whitfield giving the try.   As a Trinity supporter 'apoplectic'  just about covers the reaction.

I was never too convinced by the voluntary tackle argument, it looked more like a surrender tackle to me. The match, and the title, were won and lost by the appalling decision mentioned in the OP.

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

For our sad demise

1 minute ago, Rioman said:

I remember Neil Summers of Bradford Northern' touching down' on the 10m line and Robin Whitfield giving the try.   As a Trinity supporter 'apoplectic'  just about covers the reaction.

That one still makes me laugh. Robin Whitfield, worst referee in history, in any sport.

• Like 1

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

For our sad demise

On the Joynt incident.  As previously posted, the laws state that a "player in possession shall not deliberately and unnecessarily allow himself to be tackled by voluntarily falling to the ground when not held by an opponent."

From my view, he absolutely voluntarily fell to the ground. But the law states that he should not allow himself to be 'tackled' by falling to the ground and he actually did regain his feet and then succumb to an (albeit weak) tackle. This action meant the penalty was not nailed on. If the Bradford players had let him either lay on the floor or play the ball without touching him the penalty would have been 100% (not saying it would have been given though).

It's a judgement call in the end... probably 60/40 a penalty for me... but there are plenty of laws broken every game (every scrum & tackle!) without a penalty being given.