John Drake

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

7 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

So who has the bye week at Magic?

Catalans, they can play their ‘neutral’ fixture at a different ground in France or Spain. 

13 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

A 13 team Super League means a 24 game home-and-away schedule. Magic Weekend makes 25 games. To keep the season the same number of weeks with a bye week added only have 3 loop fixtures instead of 4. Or extend the season by another week if you want 4.

I think that works.

I think the point Gubrats is making is that the point of Magic weekend is that all the clubs play a game in one location over a weekend. If there's an odd number of clubs then clearly someone won't have a game.

15 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

A 13 team Super League means a 24 game home-and-away schedule. Magic Weekend makes 25 games. To keep the season the same number of weeks with a bye week added only have 3 loop fixtures instead of 4. Or extend the season by another week if you want 4.

I think that works.

I seem to remember Jon Wilkin suggesting a thirteen team Super League a couple of years ago, he hadn’t joined Toronto or agreed to at this stage, and suggested that each teams “bye” week should be built around their trip to Canada, which made some kind of sense. 

13 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

You really haven't thought it through have you?

Yes, if there was a 13 team SL and one had to give Magic a miss I think it should be Catalans as they’d be better off hosting their neutral game elsewhere. It’s quite clear. 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes, if there was a 13 team SL and one had to give Magic a miss I think it should be Catalans as they’d be better off hosting their neutral game elsewhere. It’s quite clear. 

So how do they play their 25th game without one of the other 12 playing their 26th?

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

So how do they play their 25th game without one of the other 12 playing their 26th?

Good point, it would be a loop fixture though. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Good point, it would be a loop fixture though. 

I'd suggest you go away and draw up a draft set of fixtures with 13 teams, Magic and 3 loop fixtures to see how it would pan out....

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'd suggest you go away and draw up a draft set of fixtures with 13 teams, Magic and 3 loop fixtures to see how it would pan out....

Why would I do that? 13 teams is a ridiculous number. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

I see Parky's in charge at SL

"I'm not minded that they should be exempt," said Elstone. "I know that makes it very hard for them.

"For me, there are two types of expansion. There is the strategic, planned, structured, logical expansion into an area that has got some heritage versus one that is less structured, less stable and arguably more spurious. I've been very consistent on that.

It's not relegation for TWP that concerns me here it's Elstone's attitude and opinion, Parky 101 that is, straight out of the we don't really want it, we don't mind who we put off and we don't care how it looks,  anyway my bread's buttered by SL Chairmen at the end of the day.

They shouldn't have allowed TWP in then, it gave the wrong impression from the get go.

For once Oxy our thoughts are meshing like a hand in a glove, TWP should never have been in a position were they got the wrong impression.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

I think that works.

No need to do that, one is going down and one is coming up = 12 teams.

43 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

How many times have we had this Les ? 

You try to explain , but it doesn't ' sink in ' 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I seem to remember Jon Wilkin suggesting a thirteen team Super League a couple of years ago, he hadn’t joined Toronto or agreed to at this stage, and suggested that each teams “bye” week should be built around their trip to Canada, which made some kind of sense. 

No it tells us Jon Wilkin is thick 

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

For once Oxy our thoughts are meshing like a hand in a glove, TWP should never have been in a position were they got the wrong impression.

I wasn't just meaning TWP, The worng impression was that SL would support expansion, that it would support clubs that had the financial clout to provide it and it would welcome teams from North America for all the right reasons. All that SL had to do was their due diligence and plan well. It just seems to me that SL have simply taken over that most important of formerly RFL roles moving the goalposts.

Thank you for your appraisal of my thought processes though, I've included the resounding recommendation in my cv.

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No ffs. 

Well go on explain then, as I see it on your masterplan magic weekend there will be 6 fixtures which equals 12 teams and Catalan play somewhere close to home instead, so if they are to play someone to make up, who will they play? because whoever it is they will have played one more game than everyone else.

7 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I wasn't just meaning TWP, The worng impression was that SL would support expansion, that it would support clubs that had the financial clout to provide it and it would welcome teams from North America for all the right reasons. All that SL had to do was their due diligence and plan well. It just seems to me that SL have simply taken over that most important of formerly RFL roles moving the goalposts.

Thank you for your appraisal of my thought processes though, I've included the resounding recommendation in my cv.

Please define your explanation of "expansion" to me, I consider it to be getting more participants playing the game, thus expanding it.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Please define your explanation of "expansion" to me, I consider it to be getting more participants playing the game, thus expanding it.

Getting more to watch the game isn't expansion also? 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

How many times have we had this Les ? 

You try to explain , but it doesn't ' sink in ' 

Almost as often as I've questioned your masochistic engagements with Scotchy 😉

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Almost as often as I've questioned your masochistic engagements with Scotchy 😉

It's an addiction 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Any need to abuse someone whose view you don’t agree with? 

It isn't my " view ' , its basic mathematics , odd number of teams and odd number of games doesn't work