coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep,same here,cars done 4 miles in 7 weeks chemist and garden a rest with flowers,no shopping a few times a week or catching a movie, no runs out to coast,missed 2 national coach trips and another for august my looks a things, no gym or baths, no game day outing or nipping off 4 hours to a race meeting(stockcars), dont know how i crammed so much in to be fair but so far have saved going on 3k.one hell of an holiday when this is over for sure on some remote island.?️‍♂️  stay safe-stay in.

3 minutes ago, silverback said:

Yep,same here,cars done 4 miles in 7 weeks chemist and garden a rest with flowers,no shopping a few times a week or catching a movie, no runs out to coast,missed 2 national coach trips and another for august my looks a things, no gym or baths, no game day outing or nipping off 4 hours to a race meeting(stockcars), dont know how i crammed so much in to be fair but so far have saved going on 3k.one hell of an holiday when this is over for sure on some remote island.?️‍♂️  stay safe-stay in.

but most importantly 'be alert'...….

13 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

but most importantly 'be alert'...….

...and don't forget to keep washing, and washing, and washing,  your hands......

I must admit struggling a little bit with some sense that we will have hoards of extra people suddenly appearing in the work place.

The restrictions always said work from home if you can and if can't ensure social distancing at the workplace.  Some specific sectors such as hospitality and leisure shutdown and hence no work to go to.

Now I can see that some companies would have decided to just shut down even if they didn't have to or could not keep social distancing in place. Construction being an example initial, although some have returned already

Is it not just the same now.

It has been estimated that over  40% are working from home. Then on top of that we have essential workers, local authority workers in the main continuing. I don't know what that population of workforce is but it must be a good percentage. Then we have a proportion of teachers not in schools which remain closed except for limited numbers.

So if the restrictions are broadly the same, the same people at the work place as previous weeks... how many extra hoards are we thinking will be hitting the work place over the next couple weeks. Especial as some sectors will have rotation of workers in place in office type environments, etc etc

The question of how many extra going to work impacting how much of the transmission rate of the virus is what I'm wondering.

14 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

...and don't forget to keep washing, and washing, and washing,  your hands......

my arms were knacked with washing everytime i got a parcel or shopping dropped off from fleebay,it were a mix of stardrops/bleech/fairy flikuid,it were like a bad blistered sunburn, am ok now i just use thinners..lol.

1 hour ago, silverback said:

I’ve cut out around 120 to 150km of driving per week and with all other things I’m probably saving around $200 in costs per week..

1 hour ago, Copa said:

I’ve cut out around 120 to 150km of driving per week and with all other things I’m probably saving around $200 in costs per week..

i hadent realised at first but am saving at least £300 a week on not going to pub/ takaways, and at least £50 in petrol, a game day aint cheap if its away,and missing one 2 day coach trip as saves me £500.had go shopping at least 4 times a week and have been twice in 2 months,

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

By all accounts the tube was rammed this morning. I can just see those R numbers going through the roof again....

we have a few cars missing today thats been parked up for weeks,but i thought the drive to were you want starts wednesday, and our little complex is for us old duffers i thought knew better.i would a parked bus.s up same as planes at start a this lot too,how anyone can get in a taxi or jump on a bus is crazy at the moment.

I usually fill the car up every 7 to 10 days. Last fuel was bought on 17th March. I'm also saving elsewhere, offset by missing out on about £800 a month income from our holiday let. At least both of us are still on full pay, which isn't unreasonable given we're still working full time. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

IIRC there was a question a few days ago about corona deaths by occupation. Some info has now been published looking at about 2500 deaths of those of working age (I think the data is for up to around 20th April)

• Security guards had the highest rate, with 45.7 deaths per 100,000 following 63 deaths.
  • Other occupations with high death rates include:
  • Taxi drivers and chauffeurs (36.4 deaths per 100,000)
  • Bus and coach drivers (26.4 deaths per 100,000)
  • Chefs (35.9 deaths per 100,000)
  • Care workers and home carers (32.0 deaths per 100,000 males)
  • Construction workers (25.9 deaths per 100,000)
  • Sales and retail assistants (19.8 deaths per 100,000)
  • Process, plant and machine operatives occupations (15.5 deaths per 100,000 males; 242 deaths)
  • Sales and customer service occupations (14.3 deaths per 100,000 males; 54 deaths)
  • Administrative and secretarial occupations (13.9 deaths per 100,000 males; 66 deaths)
  • Healthcare workers (10.2 deaths per 100,000 males and 4.8 deaths per 100,000 females)

22 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Strangely..... Rovrum appeared a bit quieter!!

I'll never understand this toilet I call my hometown....

It's less fun when you're allowed to do something. 

22 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

IIRC there was a question a few days ago about corona deaths by occupation. Some info has now been published looking at about 2500 deaths of those of working age (I think the data is for up to around 20th April)

• Security guards had the highest rate, with 45.7 deaths per 100,000 following 63 deaths.
  • Other occupations with high death rates include:
  • Taxi drivers and chauffeurs (36.4 deaths per 100,000)
  • Bus and coach drivers (26.4 deaths per 100,000)
  • Chefs (35.9 deaths per 100,000)
  • Care workers and home carers (32.0 deaths per 100,000 males)
  • Construction workers (25.9 deaths per 100,000)
  • Sales and retail assistants (19.8 deaths per 100,000)
  • Process, plant and machine operatives occupations (15.5 deaths per 100,000 males; 242 deaths)
  • Sales and customer service occupations (14.3 deaths per 100,000 males; 54 deaths)
  • Administrative and secretarial occupations (13.9 deaths per 100,000 males; 66 deaths)
  • Healthcare workers (10.2 deaths per 100,000 males and 4.8 deaths per 100,000 females)

have they put any context around the numbers foe each occupation...

e.g I listened to the taxi drivers union rep.. and he to paraphrase was saying such as

well given taxi drivers are mostly men... we know men get worst outcomes

well given most taxi drivers are older... we know it affects them more

also if their black cab or private hire will make a difference as in his view black cab's are safer given screens, separate air conditioning system than the drivers, and large room in the back and easy to clean etc etc

the union chap wasn't too impressed with the stat's without any other context.

The sales and retail assistants is surprising given shops have been shut.

Security guards again surprising... although I guess almost all, men, and don't know percentage break down of ethic demographic  but it's very high in comparison to others.

57 minutes ago, redjonn said:

e.g I listened to the taxi drivers union rep.. and he to paraphrase was saying such as

also if their black cab or private hire will make a difference as in his view black cab's are safer given screens, separate air conditioning system than the drivers, and large room in the back and easy to clean etc etc

Security guards again surprising... although I guess almost all, men, and don't know percentage break down of ethic demographic  but it's very high in comparison to others.

I lifted those numbers from the Mirror, who I assume have taken them from ONS. The ONS have published something on this but say that the numbers don't necessarily mean that one occupation is more likely to lead to death from covid than another. the summary includes the statement:

This analysis does not prove conclusively that the observed rates of death involving COVID-19 are necessarily caused by differences in occupational exposure; we adjusted for age, but not for other factors such as ethnic group and place of residence. We have also published an article that explores possible differences in occupation exposure to COVID-19.

Germany's R value at 1.07 (0.88-1.29) today.

Since 09.05.2020, the estimate of the reproduction number R is greater than 1. The interpretation of this development must take into account that these estimates are linked to a degree of uncertainty as reflected by the prediction interval published daily together with the reproduction number. Due to statistical fluctuations, which are amplified by the overall lower number of cases, it is therefore still not possible to assess whether the decreasing trend in the number of incident cases observed over the past few weeks will continue or whether case numbers will again increase. The increase in the reproduction number R makes it necessary to observe the development very closely over the coming days. 

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

I was going to say something similar. In my experience Security Guards also tend to be older men too, the majority of ones I have come across would be in the higher risk age groups.

49 minutes ago, ckn said:

Starting in a couple of minutes:

That was a great watch and I felt a real rollercoaster of emotions watching it. It was scary, emotional and awe inspiring all at the same time and really had you rooting for the patients that were shown. I have so much respect for all the NHS staff battling on the front line and if you cant do your bit and follow the guidelines after watching that then there is something seriously wrong with you.

Good news for those French holidays -

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived