30 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

If they’re making you redundant then they have to go through the correct process, which just paying you 3 months pay without consulting you before hand isn’t 

They will go bankrupt this afternoon.  So I’m quite grateful I got any money right now.

• Like 6

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

They will go bankrupt this afternoon.  So I’m quite grateful I got any money right now.

Obviously that's terrible news if it happens but its great that they ensured you got 3 months pay.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Obviously that's terrible news if it happens but its great that they ensured you got 3 months pay.

Yes it’s a big silver lining, and provides a certain safety net.  Obviously I’d rather keep the job or even furloughed but there you go.

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

Are NHS staff not allowed free time too?

They are allowed no downtime at all. They must work like slaves.

Except we're all overreacting. It's just a cold.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

40 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Amazing how much time NHS staff have free to comment on RL forums..?

I dont work fridays 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That dawning realisation that politicians are worse than the Mafia

39 minutes ago, heartofGold said:

We have supplies at the moment (GP surgery Bucks).  All routine referrals have now ceased.  Some of the GPs are showing signs of increased stress levels but unlike secondary care we do have the luxury of closing our door for phone call screening and when patients do arrive they can enter the foyer and be screened again by intercom as to whether they have an appointment and usual questions about foreign travel/symptoms before they come in.  Receptionists are pretty much exhausted at entire shifts spent on the phone repeating the same advice mantra over and over and often fielding abuse from callers.  We are getting information from secondary care regarding cancelled outpatient clinics.  At some points in the day it is impossible to contact any of the local hospitals as their phone lines are being used to full capacity calling patients to cancel clinics.  Dermatology are asking us to simply send photos of rashes etc for advice, Neurology can often video call patients, Complex Needs clinics are suspended and Vague Symptoms pathway also, Cardiology are triaging back to us asking the GPs for more in depth information so they can only see the more urgent cases.  Ladies giving birth can only have one person as a birthing partner (that may have changed to no one now I'm not sure) and no visitors for anyone obviously which must be hard for the families.  General Surgeons sent a note asking us to limit prescriptions of antibiotics.  Not sure what that means, maybe ckn does?

On the last part, perfect timing as I'm just off a meds management call.

SOME GPs are giving patients longer prescriptions to allow them to only go once to a pharmacy. That's putting the same strain on the system as people going and buying a lifetime of bog roll.

I'd be surprised if there's a hospital or community team accepting any referrals from GPs except for life/limb saving referrals. None in London are anyway. Those patients have to have interim care until it's all over and that's GPs. That's where the big strain is going to come.

On antibiotics, a core secondary treatment for patients with high to severe symptoms of COVID-19 is antibiotic loading to protect from bacterial pneumonia setting in. There's no shortage for now but stockpiling in hospitals is being ordered in case there's a surge, that means any GP giving antibiotics too easily for minor things is being "encouraged" to stop.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They are allowed no downtime at all. They must work like slaves.

Except we're all overreacting. It's just a cold.

I post on here at my tea breaks. I schedule in 5-10 minute breaks an hour. That allows me to do 14 hour days without breaking.

Also, I like sharing knowledge!

• Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

13 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Always good to be insulted by the mod!

Don't be silly !

47 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

If they’re making you redundant then they have to go through the correct process, which just paying you 3 months pay without consulting you before hand isn’t 

There’s gonna be a lot of corner cutting in the current environment though.  It’s a calculated risk by businesses in the current climate ie reducing headcount outweighs risk of claims being brought (and funded) by ex-employees.

(Sorry Beford Roughyed I don’t mean to talk about your - possible - situation dispassionately, although to be honest I doubt many out there feel job safe)

• Like 2

Just now, ckn said:

I post on here at my tea breaks. I schedule in 5-10 minute breaks an hour. That allows me to do 14 hour days without breaking.

Also, I like sharing knowledge!

*snide comment about taxpayer funded cups of tea*

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

*snide comment about taxpayer funded cups of tea*

I bet when you clapped last night you shouted "apart from ckn, that bloke gets it easy, he gets a cuppa every hour"

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

I bet when you clapped last night you shouted "apart from ckn, that bloke gets it easy, he gets a cuppa every hour"

Everyone in the NHS has it easy. With their pensions.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

There’s gonna be a lot of corner cutting in the current environment though.  It’s a calculated risk by businesses in the current climate ie reducing headcount outweighs risk of claims being brought (and funded) by ex-employees.

(Sorry Beford Roughyed I don’t mean to talk about your - possible - situation dispassionately, although to be honest I doubt many out there feel job safe)

No it’s fine.  I’m certainly not going to be the only one!  Start up companies are not prepared for funding to stop dead.  Even well established firms will crack.

Also I’m sure some companies will use this as the chance to do the ‘reorganisation’ that they would never of dared.

Saintslass and a couple of others apart I wonder what lessons we'll take from all this?

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I have mentioned to Mrs Shadow that one of her most attractive features is her NHS pension.

On an unrelated point our sofa's surprisingly comfortable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

No it’s fine.  I’m certainly not going to be the only one!  Start up companies are not prepared for funding to stop dead.  Even well established firms will crack.

Also I’m sure some companies will use this as the chance to do the ‘reorganisation’ that they would never of dared.

To be honest, the business I work for has done that.  Furloughed about 25% of workers globally, got rid of about 5% that probably had it coming anyway.  Have been closely involved in the exercise and it’s pretty unpleasant.  Have got rid of people before but never en masse (although we should be able to bring all the furloughed ones back).

• Sad 1

I’ve (half) joked about the last furlough letter I have to write being to myself...

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I have to acknowledge that my pension allows me to work 3 days a week and have a good quality of life in semi-retirement.

Private sector wages tend to be far greater than public sector salaries..... allowing an option to pay more into a pension fund to get the same end result. It all evens itself out.....

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I wonder what lessons we'll take from all this?

Having seen the brutal efficiency of US employment law last week (they ‘let go’ some of the US team), I have learnt that we do not want to copy them.  It’s swift and instant.

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I’ve (half) joked about the last furlough letter I have to write being to myself...

A family friend was in charge of a big reorganisation which unfortunately meant giving out many redundancies. The last ones were indeed her and her team.

4 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Having seen the brutal efficiency of US employment law last week (they ‘let go’ some of the US team), I have learnt that we do not want to copy them.  It’s swift and instant.

Now to some extent we were and we are mimicking this and it is a goal of this kind of politics.

Covid looks to have changed the story, but the real test is whether or not we return to the old normality.

The PM has it.

In Spain 769 deaths yesterday. Also they acquired 9000 testing kits from China. Evert single one of them was defective.Which quantifies the quote the Chief Medical Officer said "No test is better than a bad test"

Boris tests positive. He was lecturing us on social distancing while failing to do it himself flanked by the chief medical officer and chief sentific officer.

Get well soon Boris, and although I can't help thinking that isolating Boris is a positive thing I'm unhappy that he gets a test that is unavailable to me and all my colleagues when I have to engage in direct personal contact as a nurse.