21 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Rovrum isn't a pleasant town and its rarely as you describe. I had to nip to pharmacy and as I drove through town there were many folks milling about.... kids and families in groups in the park. I live across from a park and that too has been almost at normal occupancy...

I despair. The lock down is half ar sed and not policed anywhere near proactively enough if we are to combat this virus. Its relying on voluntary compliance and "woolly" conditions as to what lock down means.

I drove through Rov on Friday. I followed a couple of police cars through the centre and out towards Conisbrough; they seemed happy enough for there to be quite a few pedestrians wandering about at 1 in the morning. I half expected to be stopped myself but wasn't.

38 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Is it just me or is my brown ( cans,bottles and plastics ) bin filling up much quicker ATM ? ?

Ours has looked the skip behind our local for the last three weeks.

• Haha 2

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

What day did the figures announced today cover? 

Four legs good - two legs bad

14 minutes ago, JohnM said:

What day did the figures announced today cover? 

Only got the England breakdown as there isn't a UK breakdown provided.

NHS England has announced 784 more deaths of people who tested positive for Covid-19, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 13,918.

Of the 784 new deaths announced on Saturday:
- 150 occurred on 17 April.
- 320 occurred on 16 April.
- 101 occurred on 15 April.

The figures also show 187 of the deaths took place between 1 and 14 April, and the remaining 26 deaths occurred in March, with the earliest new death taking place on 14 March.

18 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Isn't it the NHS which is supposed to be responsible for ordering PPE for example?  That's what I was led to believe anyway.  

Ish

There are 2 things re PPE (trying to be as apolitical as possible noting the thread we are on)

1. The NHS should have day to day supplies, a reduction in budgets over the past couple of decades means that there has been a reduction in stocks as it is seen as sunk capital - why have 10m masks sat n warehouses if you could have 500k - market economy and just in time ordering etc etc

2. Strategic reserves - there have been various exercises and studies but despite what they have shown there does not appear to have been the creation/upkeep of strategic reserves of kit like this - I "guess" there have always been things seeen as more important than spending gvt cash on filling a warehouse with "stuff" that might never be used. 

The storing of "things" for emergencies has been argued over since the 50's - https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/1951-03-15/debates/a64aebe3-382f-48f0-8c89-e6ff2f23c53b/EmergencyFoodReserves it is always something that is seen as being able to be left until tomorrow

from http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=1480

(The following foods were held in the 1980s):
Flour - This was a special high protein, low moisture content flour which was turned over every 4-5 years.
Yeast - Packed in tins with an expected life of 10 years.
Sugar - Held in 56 lb sacks and turned over if it started to deteriorate.
Fat - Known as `Ministry Marge' with an expected shelf life of 20 years.
Biscuits - Sweet biscuits in large tins apparently baked in the 1960s.)
Depending on source it was estimated the UK food reserves were between 60 and 90 days

For those who are convinced the lockdown is still justified and will be for a while, why not skip onto the next post. Trust me. Just don’t, just thank me and move on. 

For those who think that it needs to end, or  think it’s all a bit of a con and overly damaging the country. Here is the latest gold standard report on outcomes from critical care in England, Wales and NI. Start on p16, table 7 that compares outcomes for COVID-19 vs a normal viral pneumonia that requires critical care. Table 8 (p19) covers outcomes for those on ventilators vs others. Table 10 (p21) covers death percentages by age.

If you read that and STILL think the lockdown is a bit much then you really need help. 

• Thanks 3

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

43 minutes ago, ckn said:

For those who are convinced the lockdown is still justified and will be for a while, why not skip onto the next post. Trust me. Just don’t, just thank me and move on. 

For those who think that it needs to end, or  think it’s all a bit of a con and overly damaging the country. Here is the latest gold standard report on outcomes from critical care in England, Wales and NI. Start on p16, table 7 that compares outcomes for COVID-19 vs a normal viral pneumonia that requires critical care. Table 8 (p19) covers outcomes for those on ventilators vs others. Table 10 (p21) covers death percentages by age.

If you read that and STILL think the lockdown is a bit much then you really need help. 

Phah, stop using facts to ruin good conspiracy theories.

This is typical of the white coat wearing lizards that are out to control our minds by pedaling science and facts, we can see through you, Karen knows best, she went to school once, I mean just the once.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

51 minutes ago, ckn said:

Does anyone on here think that the lockdown is a 'bit much' (I mean in any sense other than it is hard work to keep staying indoors)?

8 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Does anyone on here think that the lockdown is a 'bit much' (I mean in any sense other than it is hard work to keep staying indoors)?

No, it is still pretty lenient and easy to live with, compared to some other countries.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

16 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Bryan C? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

26 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

No, it is still pretty lenient and easy to live with, compared to some other countries.

Indeed and arguably the deterrent is no where near enough compared to other countries. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Rovrum isn't a pleasant town and its rarely as you describe. I had to nip to pharmacy and as I drove through town there were many folks milling about.... kids and families in groups in the park. I live across from a park and that too has been almost at normal occupancy...

I despair. The lock down is half ar sed and not policed anywhere near proactively enough if we are to combat this virus. Its relying on voluntary compliance and "woolly" conditions as to what lock down means.

I accept that mate. But the pubs were empty. The shopping precincts deserted. Restaurants closed. 

Parks should be busier than normal, people are not going to the gym, not walking to work etc.. 

6 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I believe @Dave T made the same point, it is a few people and some newspapers who are giving the impression of a mass movement against the lockdown.

• Like 2

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

I believe @Dave T made the same point, it is a few people and some newspapers who are giving the impression of a mass movement against the lockdown.

That's right, in my view, against a faint impression that all lockdowns are the same, policed in the same way. 

I think that the enforcement practices in France would not be accepted here. Indeed, the police have more or less said that by their proclamations of policing by consent. 

I expect that enforcement and conditions in Spain, Italy are much more severe than here, too. 

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

That's right, in my view, against a faint impression that all lockdowns are the same, policed in the same way.

It is a big segweg, but there are articles today warning that there might be no effective vaccine ever.

Again, no shade of grey and I very much doubt this is the actual information the journalists got. A vaccine will be here sooner or later, but as humans vary, it will not be 100% effective. Eventually a vaccine will be ready for everyone, which is to get the herd immunity, but that is to lower rather than eliminate the transmission rate. Nothing has changed, but they get two big simple stories rather than one vague one.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

44 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It is a big segweg, but there are articles today warning that there might be no effective vaccine ever.

Again, no shade of grey and I very much doubt this is the actual information the journalists got. A vaccine will be here sooner or later, but as humans vary, it will not be 100% effective. Eventually a vaccine will be ready for everyone, which is to get the herd immunity, but that is to lower rather than eliminate the transmission rate. Nothing has changed, but they get two big simple stories rather than one vague one.

When you think of the consequences of that and contact sports then you wonder when, or if, the likes of a rugby game in a cramped stadium will be seen again.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

When you think of the consequences of that and contact sports then you wonder when, or if, the likes of a rugby game in a cramped stadium will be seen again.

We will, I am sure. In a few years, this disease might disappear to a childhood sniffle. People living

in London seems (I don’t know) to be as big a risk as major events  

My understanding of where the UK was in 2008 and where it is now has been an eye opener though.  Pandemic preparedness was clearly sacrificed during austerity. Whether that was sensible is a judgment call for another thread. 

This is sounding a lot like the political version of the thread but that's just to be expected I suppose.

Sister in laws just rang,old lad next door as gone in hospital this morning with covid 19, But hes not been out for 5 weeks,and had no visitors.?

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, silverback said:

Sister in laws just rang,old lad next door as gone in hospital this morning with covid 19, But hes not been out for 5 weeks,and had no visitors.?

That's a strange one.  I wonder if he's had a delivery of something and the person delivering the something has been carrying the infection?

Another example of that kind of spread is the US navy ship that had an outbreak on it but apparently it hadn't docked anywhere for weeks.

7 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

That's a strange one.  I wonder if he's had a delivery of something and the person delivering the something has been carrying the infection?

Another example of that kind of spread is the US navy ship that had an outbreak on it but apparently it hadn't docked anywhere for weeks.

Had either example got a 5g mobile phone or a windows PC?

Loved this (but this is one of my fave dance tracks so that probably helps!):

• Like 1