9 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

You need a lot of dexterity so reusable ones are no good for certain things. Reusable ones are used too but for different tasks. 

As @Copa outlined a few posts ago.

• Haha 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... after 66 days in ICU my sister's fella who was described as being as near to death as can be without dying.... has made it. He's home. Half the fella he was.... and the virus has ravaged his l

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well hav

Well my sister's fella is making very small steps in the right direction. From being described as as near to death without being dead, he's now sat up, off dialysis and yesterday was breathing on

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Fair enough.  Could get tricky for your company in the coming months.  I'm hoping that there will be some remains of manufacturing capability in this country that may be able to turn their hand to making such things as disposable gloves, masks, etc as we are going to need one heck of a lot of them. 

They’re presumably working on other suppliers but it’s just an example of how this crisis has knock on effects you hadn’t even considered. 

Well they've just released a list of the key workers for schools.

In a nutshell it's about half the workforce. 

I understand the difficulties they are facing but tomorrow is Friday and most schools have little idea exactly what Monday is going to or is supposed to look like. 

29 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Well they've just released a list of the key workers for schools.

In a nutshell it's about half the workforce. 

I understand the difficulties they are facing but tomorrow is Friday and most schools have little idea exactly what Monday is going to or is supposed to look like. 

Have they, Matt Hancock said delayed until tomorrow on QT not very long ago?

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Have they, Matt Hancock said delayed until tomorrow on QT not very long ago?

My missus showed me a copy that her headteacher had shared; she only told me after she posted that it was from NI. They do seem to be quite in step with us though, so I'm not sure it will be much different.

Delaying until tomorrow seems crazy and way too late to be able to sort this out properly. Put it this way my school has identified around 120 children (out of 350) that they think might be eligible whereas my wife's school is expecting less than this despite being a 1600 pupil secondary school. School's basically have no idea what to do.

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

My missus showed me a copy that her headteacher had shared; she only told me after she posted that it was from NI. They do seem to be quite in step with us though, so I'm not sure it will be much different.

Delaying until tomorrow seems crazy and way too late to be able to sort this out properly. Put it this way my school has identified around 120 children (out of 350) that they think might be eligible whereas my wife's school is expecting less than this despite being a 1600 pupil secondary school. School's basically have no idea what to do.

I imagine the list published tomorrow will be v similar to that for NI. One thing that has come out is that only one parent needs to be classed as an essential worker for a child to be eligible. 

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I imagine the list published tomorrow will be v similar to that for NI. One thing that has come out is that only one parent needs to be classed as an essential worker for a child to be eligible. 

Whereas I know of schools that have already sent out the opposite.

The education secretary has suggested that schools will be open to around 10% of pupils, when these lists will mean many more.

There is also a great deal of confusion about what is expected to be done with these children. My school is planning on putting on a form of lessons but the Williamson was saying today it's more a case of childcare. 

• Like 1

An unbelievable number of priests dying in Italy. 

For these people, I genuinely hope they find their heaven. 

• Like 4

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

So much could be said about this, but that is for another time and another thread.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

39 minutes ago, ckn said:

Just watching on Sky the terrible situation in their hospitals in Lombardy.  Lots of everyone appear to be dying.  They've been allowed in one of the hospitals.  Their health service is decimated.  If that is what is coming our way then heaven help us.  I'd happily live in a lockdown to avoid what looks like a terrible pneumonia virus.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I watched earlier the Commons during "Business Questions" with Moggy and MP after MP stood up to explain why a particular group should be deemed as  "key" workers.

I am not suggesting  any of them should not be, but with this list it appears schools are staying open for everyone apart  from kids of lawyers, stockbrokers/city types, professional athletes.

So basically it is Monday as normal for teachers! 

7 hours ago, Johnoco said:

They’re presumably working on other suppliers but it’s just an example of how this crisis has knock on effects you hadn’t even considered. 

Worth ringing Arco on Bowling Back Lane and Screwfix a bit further up Wakefield Road?

• Thanks 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

8 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I'd happily live in a lockdown to avoid what looks like a terrible pneumonia virus.

I think I said that my sister had the symptoms of covid-19?

We face-timed yesterday. She's a very healthy 48 year old who is a regular runner, served for 20+ years in the forces and does all sorts of 'out and about' stuff.

Watching what the condition has done to her was devastating. She will (almost certainly) be fine but it is a brutal, horrible condition and you can see why anyone is at risk.

We should be doing all we can to stop it.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

It takes a crisis to properly identify who is a “key worker”

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think I said that my sister had the symptoms of covid-19?

We face-timed yesterday. She's a very healthy 48 year old who is a regular runner, served for 20+ years in the forces and does all sorts of 'out and about' stuff.

Watching what the condition has done to her was devastating. She will (almost certainly) be fine but it is a brutal, horrible condition and you can see why anyone is at risk.

We should be doing all we can to stop it.

This is the problem with the comparison to the flu. People are going back to using flu is mean a nasty cold, which is completely wrong. A case of the flu will have you sweating buckets and if you are on your own happily choosing to go hungry rather than leave the house.

That many people have something a bit worse than the flu is actually significant. And, those cases do not get hospitalised, so those who are with mild to moderate symptoms in hospital have it far worse.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

12 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

This is the problem with the comparison to the flu. People are going back to using flu is mean a nasty cold, which is completely wrong. A case of the flu will have you sweating buckets and if you are on your own happily choosing to go hungry rather than leave the house.

That many people have something a bit worse than the flu is actually significant. And, those cases do not get hospitalised, so those who are with mild to moderate symptoms in hospital have it far worse.

Also, when you see northern Italy with some of the most advanced healthcare capacity in Europe having to make hard age- and health-based decisions on who should get ventilators, that should give people real pause. People are being left to die who may be saveable because there’s no resources to keep them alive, resources are being aimed at those most likely to survive rather than everyone who may survive. 

But selfish folk will be selfish folk and keep partying because they’re likely to get through an infection alive. And damn everyone else they infect. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

When I had flu about 15 years ago it laid me up for over a week and it was two weeks before I went back to work. My average number of sick days at work over the last 40 years is about 2-3 per year.

If people say they've had flu, I ask them - if you were lying in bed and there was £200 in the next room that would be yours if you went and got it (without crawling and within 30 seconds), would you do it. If the answer is Yes, you didn't have flu.

Before Christmas my son-in-law was close to death with seasonal flu - he was hospitalised for 5 days with sever breathing issues.

If this is potentially worse than that, I don't want it. Some of the images from italian hospitals are sobering.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

As my teacher wife said, schools may as well have just continued as normal if this is the case with the children that they are used to because the bulk of children are going to be in anyway. Which kind of defeats the point of closing any schools.

It’s not everyone in those sectors though. It’s more than you might have planned but a long way from the majority.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)