jroyales

Countdown to the new season

Really looking forward to the new season. Obviously, with some trepidation looking at the main task of just staying up.

I feel Diskin  has to pick the games that we have a realistic chance of winning and avoiding losing players through injury in the others. The ones to target, I feel, have to be Batley, Swinton, Whitehaven and Dewsbury. I can't see us getting much change out of the rest. However, it still won't stop me being there, including a trip to Toulouse in a couple of weeks.

All the best to the Yeds supporters and who knows  it could be a great season with lots of great memories.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tandle said:

do I detect a lack of interest, sad times a head I sense. I have to go now to feed the fairies at the bottom of my garden .

That's what I was thinking. If you look through the forums in general they seem pretty quiet compared with what they used to be. But yes on this forum it does seem quiet these days. I suppose the attendance figure's will tell us if people are interested. 

• Like 1

Apparently over 350 hardy souls watch Anne's v head in the standard cup at the weekend.

That's more than Oldham got at whitebank  against saints under 20s

Can't wait for the start of the season myself. Pre season has been a bit stop start with the Rochdale game being the only major worry. Going from Naylor to Diskin may have some teething problems at the start of the year but I think it was necessary for us to kick on in the Championship. We are trying to promote the ball more which has looked slick at times and at others has looked extremely sloppy but we had to change to have a chance at staying up.

We know we don't have the squad numbers at the minute for the whole of the season but the 17 we put out on Sunday is good enough to win. Widnes will bring a fair few fans so this should be a cracking atmosphere to start the new season and whilst they may think this game might be a easy start we won't make it so.

Some of the new lads look extremely promising especially Abram and Fletcher who look like they can really add quality to our team.

Loved going to the Fold in 2016 and 2017 and can't wait again to go to every game there this season.

Come on the Yeds

• Like 5

I too am looking forward to the season, though I know it won't be easy and we'll probably lose more than we win, but who knows.  I'm also looking forward to going to the Fold again as it's a great stadium for RL. 

As Brooksy says, we did need to change our style of play to stand any chance in this league and hopefully the players will get used to the open play that Diskin is trying to promote.

Come on Oldham!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

12 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

According to the championship forum on the main board the bookies are giving us 8 points start against Widnes.  They're expecting a close game. Might put half a crown on us.

Half a crown, you say ?  Forsooth, good sir, would that I could participate in your financial optimism.  For this particular game, based on our pre-season contests, I fear that I could not wager (or afford to lose) more than 1 shilling and 3 pence.

However, I sincerely hope my reluctance to wager a significantly larger sum and subsequently accumulate a most pleasing pecuniary reward does not, based upon the final result, come back to haunt me. 

Or words to that effect.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

According to the championship forum on the main board the bookies are giving us 8 points start against Widnes.  They're expecting a close game. Might put half a crown on us.

How much real money is half a crown worth?

Just now, RL does what Sky says said:

You'll find out once we come out of Europe and go back to having the actual real money of pounds, shillings and pence (£sd).

Honestly, I've always wondered.  Is a crown $20?

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Honestly, I've always wondered.  Is a crown $20?

No, under the old money (ie pre 15 February 1971) a crown was 5 shillings (25p in today's money).

12 pence was one shilling;   20 shillings in a pound.

Crown = 5 shillings;    Half Crown = 2 shillings, 6 pence

... and you could get entry to a match; a programme and a pie for a tanner (no, not a tenner). 😉

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

How much real money is half a crown worth?

In today's money 'half a crown' would be worth GBP 12.5 pence.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ArthurO said:

In today's money 'half a crown' would be worth GBP 12.5 pence.

So a crown is a 25 cent piece..what we call a quarter or two bits over here.  And here me thinking all this time it was the top of a rugby pitch.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

So a crown is a 25 cent piece..what we call a quarter or two bits over here.  And here me thinking all this time it was the top of a rugby pitch.

Well over here it was 5 shillings = 60 "old" pennies (not cents) but that was before the UK changed to decimal currency in 1971. (The equivalent in today's money is 25 pence).

Actually a "crown" is not top of a rugby pitch but is the top-most area of a piece of land used for another sport ... Crown Green Bowling (that's an outside sport, not like ten-pin bowling). It's played by rolling balls along a piece of grass (the "Green") which is not flat but rises to a point near the middle (the "Crown") and the winner is the nearest to get to a certain point on it.

Like Rugby League it's played more in the North of England.   There is another version played on a flat green but, like Rugby Union, that version is played more down south and so get more publicity because of those who participate yet Rugby Lea.....err, I mean Crown Green Bowling is more skillful as you have also judge the rise and fall of the "Crown" when rolling your ball.

See this ...

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ArthurO said:

Half a crown, you say ?  Forsooth, good sir, would that I could participate in your financial optimism.  For this particular game, based on our pre-season contests, I fear that I could not wager (or afford to lose) more than 1 shilling and 3 pence.

However, I sincerely hope my reluctance to wager a significantly larger sum and subsequently accumulate a most pleasing pecuniary reward does not, based upon the final result, come back to haunt me. 

Or words to that effect.....

Was going to go with a couple of bob. But then I thought why not round it up from a florin and add a tanner. 

• Haha 3

What's most of the above got to do with the coming season and importantly the first three games. Losing these badly will reflect badly on home attendances and the rest of the season with even less money to spend.

23 minutes ago, jroyales said:

What's most of the above got to do with the coming season and importantly the first three games. Losing these badly will reflect badly on home attendances and the rest of the season with even less money to spend.

It's got to do with the bookies not being as downbeat and miserable as some people. The bookies are not in the business of losing money and seem to think we have a better chance than we are being given. 

• Like 3

I never got to see Oldham play but they sure have alot of proud history...good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Well over here it was 5 shillings = 60 "old" pennies (not cents) but that was before the UK changed to decimal currency in 1971. (The equivalent in today's money is 25 pence).

Actually a "crown" is not top of a rugby pitch but is the top-most area of a piece of land used for another sport ... Crown Green Bowling (that's an outside sport, not like ten-pin bowling). It's played by rolling balls along a piece of grass (the "Green") which is not flat but rises to a point near the middle (the "Crown") and the winner is the nearest to get to a certain point on it.

Like Rugby League it's played more in the North of England.   There is another version played on a flat green but, like Rugby Union, that version is played more down south and so get more publicity because of those who participate yet Rugby Lea.....err, I mean Crown Green Bowling is more skillful as you have also judge the rise and fall of the "Crown" when rolling your ball.

See this ...

Its called 'Lawn Bowling' over here and is still played in certain areas.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Was going to go with a couple of bob. But then I thought why not round it up from a florin and add a tanner. 

I'm very confident, so will be having a couple of guineas on.

Anyone change one of these here big white fivers?

• Haha 2

New away shirt looks good. Could be my first replica shirt since the 1996 ‘green slime’ away shirt when I was 7!

After recently rekindling my love for RL I’m hoping to get to more games this season.

71AD03C8-D945-45FF-8D8E-7C0C3C362AA4.thumb.jpeg.dd4d0c10d0c266c180768b72a1033fc5.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OL14.yeds said:

New away shirt looks good. Could be my first replica shirt since the 1996 ‘green slime’ away shirt when I was 7!

After recently rekindling my love for RL I’m hoping to get to more games this season.

71AD03C8-D945-45FF-8D8E-7C0C3C362AA4.thumb.jpeg.dd4d0c10d0c266c180768b72a1033fc5.jpeg

Can I please make one request ?

If we are playing away against a team NOT in red and white then can we please still wear our traditional hooped colours ?

If not .. WHY ?????

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Can I please make one request ?

If we are playing away against a team NOT in red and white then can we please still wear our traditional hooped colours ?

If not .. WHY ?????

I don't know the definitive answer to that but this is what I reckon.  If money's tight at the club, and we all know it is, then the club has to maximise its resources.  So it's wise to use both strips in as equal measures as you can.

I'd prefer us to play in our traditional colours on every occasion we can, but hey-ho.