Wigan's indoor Fan Zone

"Robin Park’s indoor running track will be converted into a huge fanzone during Warriors home games – complete with live music."
https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/bars-and-live-music-inside-wigan-warriors-new-indoor-fanzone-next-to-the-dw-stadium-1-10227505

Wigan trying to add to the game day experience - good work, and using existing facilities.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wonder if this will be a decent money spinner for them, i. e getting some of that beer and food money that they can't necessarily get in the main stadium. 

Would be good if they do it well and convince others to make an effort with fanzones too. 

Terrific initiative, well done Wigan. 

Not just a bar area but fans can also go to the Robin Park stand and watch a live game as well... Womens fixtures, Academy and PDRL will take place on the pitch.

In the height of summer this should provide a great pre and post match experience.  I really hope it's a success.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Terrific initiative, well done Wigan. 

Not just a bar area but fans can also go to the Robin Park stand and watch a live game as well... Womens fixtures, Academy and PDRL will take place on the pitch.

In the height of summer this should provide a great pre and post match experience.  I really hope it's a success.

Which other clubs have that sort of indoor space close enough to the stadium? I assume they'll be looking at this, taking notes and making their own plans if it turns out to be a success.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This was announced and trialled last season, it hits the Stadium Co. in the pocket. 

Recently the Stadium Co. has put in a planning application to convert a very large first floor storage area under the East Stand into a bar area with food outlets.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Wonder if this will be a decent money spinner for them, i. e getting some of that beer and food money that they can't necessarily get in the main stadium. 

Would be good if they do it well and convince others to make an effort with fanzones too. 

By food, I assume you mean a selection of meat pies?

18 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Would love Hull to do something like this at the arena next door, but would never happen. Doubt they'll pay the hiring costs.

Wigan have the advantage of owning the Robin Park Arena, no hire costs involved.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

14 minutes ago, Padge said:

Wigan have the advantage of owning the Robin Park Arena, no hire costs involved.

What actually is the RPA, ie is it an Indoor athletics stadium or something, and how big is it? Been to the DW a couple if times and I’ve never noticed it (probably because I’ve had a few hours in the Moon Under Water). 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

What actually is the RPA, ie is it an Indoor athletics stadium or something, and how big is it? Been to the DW a couple if times and I’ve never noticed it (probably because I’ve had a few hours in the Moon Under Water). 

Its a sports complex with 4 all weather 5 a-side soccer pitches 1 full size rugby/soccer pitche and a full size grass rugby/soccer pitch with a running track around it and a stand for about 2,000.

It also has an indoor running track gym and various meeting rooms/conference facilities and offices.

It was owned by Wigan Council but was bought by Wigan Rugby so the council could off-load it, since they took over the rugby club has expanded and upgraded large parts of it. 

They have now moved their operations from Central Park their base in a former school into the arena.

When people go on about Wigan's debt, this is where a lot of it resides, not in player contracts.

It is right next door to the stadium, next to the South Stand..

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Thanks Padge. 

The way Wigan’s crowds are declining they could use it as their home ground in a few years time ? 

A few years out of date but this shows the DW and the Arena next door.

image.png.bf0c1f26d3d57d56ff4fa1e2a37b4886.png

1 hour ago, Padge said:

When people go on about Wigan's debt, this is where a lot of it resides, not in player contracts.

Not really true, Wigan's debts have been driven by being operationally loss making, not capex/depreciation and Lenegan covering those losses. Nonetheless this seems a small step towards making Wigan a viable operation and hopefully it works out.

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Not really true, Wigan's debts have been driven by being operationally loss making, not capex/depreciation and Lenegan covering those losses. Nonetheless this seems a small step towards making Wigan a viable operation and hopefully it works out.

So how much is down to players contracts and how much is due to purchasing and refurbishing the Arena. A rough percentage will do.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

So how much is down to players contracts and how much is due to purchasing and refurbishing the Arena. A rough percentage will do.

Well I don't want to turn this into yet another discussion of Wigan's finances but based on their most recently published accounts, which show debts of around £6m owing to banks and to Lenegan, I estimate approximately 0% relates to "purchasing" and refurbishing the arena. Because they aren't purchasing it, they are leasing it, and it appears no work had started at the time of those accounts.

It’s interesting that they refer to the Leagues clubs in Australia. There are a few Raiders clubs in Canberra but none are near the stadium! Each has restaurants, bars, big screen TVs etc. The closest one to me is open 9am to 4am (yes 4 in the morning) 7 days a week. 

23 minutes ago, Copa said:

It’s interesting that they refer to the Leagues clubs in Australia. There are a few Raiders clubs in Canberra but none are near the stadium! Each has restaurants, bars, big screen TVs etc. The closest one to me is open 9am to 4am (yes 4 in the morning) 7 days a week. 

We call them pubs in England ?

Archived