Sat 22 Feb: WCC: St Helens v Sydney Roosters KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens by 13 points or more
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • Sydney Roosters by 1 to 6 points
    • Sydney Roosters by 7 to 12 points
    • Sydney Roosters by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/02/20 at 19:45

Bare in mind I have only seen the game at real time and haven’t been benefitted by the replays that are shown by Sky, I have to say that I’m a bit upset by the scoreline. I expected to have been on the receiving end of a beating ala Souths in 2015 and the Rabbits in 2016 but to get that close to a Sydney side that hadn’t played together this year, that’s what annoys me a little. I think a lack of creative spark from key players in Lomax, Fages, Roby and Smith probably was the decider tonight. 

I think our forwards lay a platform for the creative players but when it come to it, our key players didn’t do anything and the Roosters key men were clinical. I will watch again at home, if I remembered to record it before travelling up on Friday night, but from being at the ground, it felt that a lot of the play, more so in the second half, appeared to be in Roosters territory, though we never made repeat sets or penalties worth our while.

I would like to watch the game again before I mention the refereeing performance but it appeared to be a bit of a poor game from Kendall. 

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

St Helens lost because of poor execution at key try scoring moments. The Lomax pass to set Makinson up was brilliant. He just dropped it. And on the left, it was clear it was a new combination. They looked disjointed, and blew at least two tries as a result. St Helens did themselves proud, and I thought their halves were great. Unfortunately Wellsby wasn't great when he came into the backline, and the execution out wide was off. At full strength, St Helens probably win.

2 hours ago, frank said:

If this had been played in Australia both teams  would have been faster and benefited from the conditions.

The final pass for Keary's try look  about half a metre forward.

Just watched Keary's try again and the pass was fine.

10 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

***** sake...

Apart from Clarke's fishing gear tonight has been a disaster 

Thank God I've got hospitality at Trailfinders tommorow.... If we nil the Neets it'll still be a good weekend 

Surely RL Cares have had a massive influx of donations after all of Clarke’s mates have paid up when he won the bet to wear that outfit?

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Bare in mind I have only seen the game at real time and haven’t been benefitted by the replays that are shown by Sky, I have to say that I’m a bit upset by the scoreline. I expected to have been on the receiving end of a beating ala Souths in 2015 and the Rabbits in 2016 but to get that close to a Sydney side that hadn’t played together this year, that’s what annoys me a little. I think a lack of creative spark from key players in Lomax, Fages, Roby and Smith probably was the decider tonight. 

I think our forwards lay a platform for the creative players but when it come to it, our key players didn’t do anything and the Roosters key men were clinical. I will watch again at home, if I remembered to record it before travelling up on Friday night, but from being at the ground, it felt that a lot of the play, more so in the second half, appeared to be in Roosters territory, though we never made repeat sets or penalties worth our while.

I would like to watch the game again before I mention the refereeing performance but it appeared to be a bit of a poor game from Kendall. 

The middle part of the game was good, it was the inexperienced edges let them down really, understandable too, but it's something the likes of Costello, Welsby, Bentley etc will learn from and hopefully make them stronger.

As for Kendall, i thought he did a brilliant job, got most things spot on, only issue i could have is he didn't make  Friend sit down for 10 for constantly yapping at him.

12 minutes ago, meast said:

The middle part of the game was good, it was the inexperienced edges let them down really, understandable too, but it's something the likes of Costello, Welsby, Bentley etc will learn from and hopefully make them stronger.

As for Kendall, i thought he did a brilliant job, got most things spot on, only issue i could have is he didn't make  Friend sit down for 10 for constantly yapping at him.

Spot on assessment 

9 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

What is happening to Saints attendances?

A World Club Challenge match and you couldn't even fill the ground?

Deary me, I think I might have to start a thread about this pathetic decline.

If SL could  be as successful in halting this decline as they are in  putting obstacles in the way of the Wolfpack and other like teams trying to enter comp, we would not have this problem of declining gates.

For us to begin to compete with the Aussies the salary cap has got to increase.The vast difference against our main competitors(union and the NRL) is telling.

Saints are by far our best team,yet with 3 or 4 players out injured they just didn,t have the strength in depth to give themselves a realistic chance of winning.

1 minute ago, bamfordsbeans said:

For us to begin to compete with the Aussies the salary cap has got to increase.The vast difference against our main competitors(union and the NRL) is telling.

Saints are by far our best team,yet with 3 or 4 players out injured they just didn,t have the strength in depth to give themselves a realistic chance of winning.

The salary cap should be a fixed percentage of true income. That way it naturally increases (& falls) as the club improves its performance or not 

34 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

What is happening to Saints attendances?

A World Club Challenge match and you couldn't even fill the ground?

Deary me, I think I might have to start a thread about this pathetic decline.

Just like Hudds, Salford, Toronto and Cats- Sydney dont bring many away fans!

Throw them out of the competition!

Down with these clubs.

Lots of positives for me about the game, im a leeds fan but travelled from Montenegro to cheer on the Saints; the game of RL is too small not to support each other.

The matchday experience under the lights was pretty good , a decent band  lights, pyrotechnics etc probably made for a good prematch experience for many; the game was very physical and Saints were just not clinical enough.

Overall i thought it was a good night for RL and a reminder that we have to create events rather than just rely on the same old people rocking up to have a few pints and 80 mins of action.

5 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Lots of positives for me about the game, im a leeds fan but travelled from Montenegro to cheer on the Saints; the game of RL is too small not to support each other.

The matchday experience under the lights was pretty good , a decent band  lights, pyrotechnics etc probably made for a good prematch experience for many; the game was very physical and Saints were just not clinical enough.

Overall i thought it was a good night for RL and a reminder that we have to create events rather than just rely on the same old people rocking up to have a few pints and 80 mins of action.

Blimey, puts my journey to Saints games into perspective. Glad you enjoyed it, and you're spot on about creating an event out of a game. Doesn't have to be expensive either.

If only we'd kept the glitter ball and fairy lights from Knowsley Road ?

2 minutes ago, Moove said:

Blimey, puts my journey to Saints games into perspective. Glad you enjoyed it, and you're spot on about creating an event out of a game. Doesn't have to be expensive either.

If only we'd kept the glitter ball and fairy lights from Knowsley Road ?

There was probably 100 Sydney fans too which was a fantastic effort

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The scoreline flattered Saints, Sydney Roosters were far superior to them.

That's harsh. Saints were very good and on top for vast periods of that match. They just lacked a little bit of skill when it mattered and lacked the execution and composure at crucial times.

2 hours ago, LeeF said:

Surely RL Cares have had a massive influx of donations after all of Clarke’s mates have paid up when he won the bet to wear that outfit?

That is a huge presumption that Phil Clarke has mate's. Garth Crookes could be a possibility, imagine those two together in analysis ?????

On reflection I thought Saints did ok.

They came into the game with three of their first choice three quarter line missing with Percival and Grace massive attacking threats and Coote a key part of the spine and an extra kicking and handling pivot.

Over the 80 minutes they probably lost the battle in the ruck, particularly play the ball speed but the forwards were hardworking and Walmsley in particular was great.

Ultimately, their lack of continuity out wide meant any good field position wasn't capitalized on... but I am not being too critical of those players as I thought they did as well as could be expected.

It was a very good occasion.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

10 hours ago, frank said:

If this had been played in Australia both teams  would have been faster and benefited from the conditions.

The final pass for Keary's try look  about half a metre forward.

Don't underestimate how big home field advantage is. Having the game in England is a massive leveler. We've seen this in the recent GB tour just how much tougher it is travelling to the other side of the world especially for a one off game. 

Archived