Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Sat 22 Feb: WCC: St Helens v Sydney Roosters KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

70 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens by 13 points or more
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • Sydney Roosters by 1 to 6 points
    • Sydney Roosters by 7 to 12 points
    • Sydney Roosters by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/02/20 at 19:45

Roosters by 24

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

No Regan Grace in the 21 man squad. I’m not suggesting he’s a match winner by any stretch or would be pivotal in us doing the unlikely and winning the game but we now have Coote, Grace and Percival out from our backline and look likely to have Welsby at fullback, Costello on the wing and probably Bentley or Peyroux at centre. I wasn’t confident anyway but I now fear we could be on the end of a bit of a hammering. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Percival is in the squad.

Sydney Roosters don’t seem to have names a travelling squad anywhere.

That’s surely a mistake. I believe he’s been operated on this week, so I can’t imagine he’s close to being selected, especially after the clubs diagnosis was “several months”. 

49 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Pleased Cordner is out... loss of leadership and quality in the Roosters team. 

Strange one with Cordner - why take him to not play him. I just don't buy the 'work overload' reason that's been given. 

Roosters have names their squad: 

1. James Tedesco

2. Daniel Tupou

3. Angus Crichton

4. Joseph Manu

5. Brett Morris

6. Luke Keary

7. Kyle Flanagan

8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

9. Jake Friend (c)

10. Siosiua Taukeiaho

11. Sitili Tupouniua

12. Mitchell Aubusson

13. Victor Radley

INTERCHANGE

14. Sam Verrills

15. Isaac Liu

16. Nat Butcher

17. Lindsay Collins

18. Matt Ikuvalu

19. Poasa Faamausili

20. Asu Kepaoa

21. Lachlan Lam

Even with Cordner out that is still a very imposing side. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

1. James Tedesco

2. Daniel Tupou

3. Angus Crichton

4. Joseph Manu

5. Brett Morris

6. Luke Keary

7. Kyle Flanagan

9. Jake Friend (c)

10. Siosiua Taukeiaho

11. Sitili Tupouniua

12. Mitchell Aubusson

13. Victor Radley

INTERCHANGE

14. Sam Verrills

15. Isaac Liu

16. Nat Butcher

17. Lindsay Collins

18. Matt Ikuvalu

19. Poasa Faamausili

20. Asu Kepaoa

21. Lachlan Lam

Geez... that's some team. Not surprising given the difference in salary caps but still.

I guess if you've any ambition in sport you want to be testing yourself against the best whenever you can but it's gonna be tough to go toe to toe with them.

Sod it. Saints by 24 😎

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I feel like not everybody has seen this and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular but please absorb and let's move on - especially on this thread! 

image.thumb.png.d8694f56577d77b45b2fd58e953eb576.png

8 posts removed that unnecessarily waffled on about Folau. Thank you for screenshotting that and posting it here.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Really looking forward to see Radley play.

Same! After years of 13 being a third prop it seems some NRL teams (thinking Cam Murray too) are going back to the smaller more agile 13. He's an absolute animal in defence as well.

• Like 1

I may be alone in thinking that this Roosters side is a little way off their 2020 best.

On his day, Lattrell Mitchell is the most dangerous player in world Rugby League while Boyd Corder is a great on field leader and Cooper Cronk was the best on field general in the game last year.

The loss of these three turns a great team into a very good one and life without Cronk will be a big learning curve and not one they will crack overnight.

If Saints play with the energy and confidence they have for the last 12 months, this will be a very competitive game.

21 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Same! After years of 13 being a third prop it seems some NRL teams (thinking Cam Murray too) are going back to the smaller more agile 13. He's an absolute animal in defence as well.

Maybe. But it could just be that Murray and and Radley are just great talents that a coach must make a space for.

Certainly the reduction of the interchanges means that teams need to carry a middle with a bit more energy and more minutes and these two fit that bill... but in other teams it is a different player... Cam Murray averaged 60 minutes a game last year and Radley averaged 65 while a player like Haas at the Broncos averaged 64 and Taumalolo at the Cowboys 62.

You just need the engine and sometimes that comes with size too.

24 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I may be alone in thinking that this Roosters side is a little way off their 2020 best.

On his day, Lattrell Mitchell is the most dangerous player in world Rugby League while Boyd Corder is a great on field leader and Cooper Cronk was the best on field general in the game last year.

The loss of these three turns a great team into a very good one and life without Cronk will be a big learning curve and not one they will crack overnight.

If Saints play with the energy and confidence they have for the last 12 months, this will be a very competitive game.

I think if everyone was fit and available for Saints I’d agree with you. As it is I think there’s ample quality in that Roosters team to blow Saints away unfortunately. My one hope is Saints start all guns blazing and manage to capitalise on a bit of early season rustiness from the Roosters. If they could go a couple of scores up it might give them the confidence to defend a lead. 

Edited by bobbruce
  • Like 3

Quite fancy Saints to win this one, looks like they will have a strong almost first choice team out (Roby)? So I'll go for them +10.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Quite fancy Saints to win this one, looks like they will have a strong almost first choice team out (Roby)? So I'll go for them +10.

Just seen the Saints squad didn't realize there would be no Coote,Grace or Percival not so sure now.

3 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

1. James Tedesco

2. Daniel Tupou

3. Angus Crichton

4. Joseph Manu

5. Brett Morris

6. Luke Keary

7. Kyle Flanagan

9. Jake Friend (c)

10. Siosiua Taukeiaho

11. Sitili Tupouniua

12. Mitchell Aubusson

13. Victor Radley

INTERCHANGE

14. Sam Verrills

15. Isaac Liu

16. Nat Butcher

17. Lindsay Collins

18. Matt Ikuvalu

19. Poasa Faamausili

20. Asu Kepaoa

21. Lachlan Lam

It's a good team no doubt but it has a second row in the centre and a 21 year old at scrum half who has only played 9 NRL games so it has some weak links.

They have some wonderful individual strike weapons in Tedesco, Tupou and Manu in particular but pretty much all the creativity in that team will have to come from Keary and so Saints have a key part of the game to close down.

Edited by Dunbar

Sad to see us all struggling to give Saints a chance. I have friends in Aus who take their general superiority as a given certainty whichever NRL team plays against whichever SL team. Would so like to see the Aussies suffer at the hands of Saints.