Sign in to follow this  
Marty Funkhouser

"RFL will take back power 'through the backdoor' "

The government are interested in the community impact of RL. It's the reason why the RFL are relevant rather than SL. It makes sense for the game to be one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

How reliable do people think that the 'Hull Daily Mail' is?

Its not the Hull Daily Mail" it's The Daily Mail where there is an article with a quote from an unnamed Super League Club Chairman....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/article-8164483/Coronavirus-UK-Super-League-clubs-told-reunite-Rugby-Football-League.html#comments

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

What power do the RFL want that they don't have already? The 'split' such as it were simply meant that mostly marketing functions were moved to a new body. Why would the RFL be so desperate for that?

Or by power do we mean money?

Occurred to me the other day when listening to Sky’s Golden Point podcast that Robert Elstone might be made redundant. He’s certainly been sidelined.

I hope Elstone stays on as Super League needs someone to do the negotiating with Sky and lead the commercial and marketing etc.

The RFL may well hold the whip hand at the moment but frankly they are hopeless at running Super League.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ackroman said:

The government are interested in the community impact of RL. It's the reason why the RFL are relevant rather than SL. It makes sense for the game to be one.

Have you a link for that?

1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

How reliable do people think that the 'Hull Daily Mail' is?

more reliable than hull fc

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

The point that was made in the article - and I believe it is a valid one - is that the Government probably aren't going to give a massive financial package simply to 'save Super league'.

But they might well give that same package to 'save Rugby League' - which means clubs at all levels, right down to the community game.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Rimmer’s getting credit for stuff? From who?

From a significant number of club chairmen if what I read is crrect.

It was also rumoured before this crisis that there was considerable disillusionment amongst a number of SL leaders with the performance of SL with the inference being that one particular chairman had more influence than anyone else. Will adversity bring the SL clubs closer together or will it drive them apart?

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

The point that was made in the article - and I believe it is a valid one - is that the Government probably aren't going to give a massive financial package simply to 'save Super league'.

But they might well give that same package to 'save Rugby League' - which means clubs at all levels, right down to the community game.

Indeed, and the SL clubs have much bigger problems than the rest. It could get messy!

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Thats fair enough, but what is the massive financial gap that needs filling in the community game, or even the lower end of the semi pro game?

Sure, the community game is dormant, but most of the activity is voluntary anyway, so it's easy enough to start back up when social gathering is allowed. Indeed it may be allowed to comeback earlier. 

It's Superleague and the Championship where potentially millions of pounds of revenue - which pays hundreds of peoples wages - has been shut off. So if the bailout is intended to make up for lost revenue, that's where the lost revenue is. Where else would it go? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Thats fair enough, but what is the massive financial gap that needs filling in the community game, or even the lower end of the semi pro game?

Sure, the community game is dormant, but most of the activity is voluntary anyway, so it's easy enough to start back up when social gathering is allowed. Indeed it may be allowed to comeback earlier. 

It's Superleague and the Championship where potentially millions of pounds of revenue - which pays hundreds of peoples wages - has been shut off. So if the bailout is intended to make up for lost revenue, that's where the lost revenue is. Where else would it go? 

Rents, rates, electricity bills, ground maintenance etc. It isn't just 17 fat lads on a council pitch.

And where does it say that any bailout is intended to replace lost revenue? I can't imagine anyone being happy to be told that government funds were going to be made available to pay generous sporting contracts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I see what you're saying Toby. I suspect there will be at least some community clubs that actually will be running into financial troubles, albeit at lower levels of money. For example, those clubs who rely on income from a clubhouse, bar takings, or things like '100 clubs' or raffles or simply subs from people.

But I think the broader issue is that the Government will be more likely to respond positively to the RFL - who represent a broader constituency, with much more 'participants', than 12 SL clubs who only really care about themselves to be honest.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

What's the difference?

No point in spending money to get the championship and L1 through the season, seeing SL fall over and everything falling over next year when there is no money coming in.

Just now, Ackroman said:

Have you any common sense?

Just asking for a source. If you are making it up that's fine.

• Haha 1

A quote from the article ...

"The RFL will get the money, not the clubs, and will then disperse it right throughout the sport down to referees, match officials and the community game."

So who currently pays the wages for the referees, etc ? Is it the Super League clubs or the RFL ?  If Super League want independence then they should be paying all the wages of their staff from out of their own pockets and not expect the RFL to still do so.

In fact might it come to a situation like when BARLA split from the RFL ....for a while referees had to choose which organisation they wanted to officiate for. Of course those with any ambition to progress stayed with the RFL.

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Occurred to me the other day when listening to Sky’s Golden Point podcast that Robert Elstone might be made redundant. He’s certainly been sidelined.

I hope Elstone stays on as Super League needs someone to do the negotiating with Sky and lead the commercial and marketing etc.

The RFL may well hold the whip hand at the moment but frankly they are hopeless at running Super League.

Well he hasn't been much better.

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

What?  You want the guy who screwed up the deal which Catalans had with BeIN Sports to handle negotiations and lead the commercial and marketing part of things???  Oh vey!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

What?  You want the guy who screwed up the deal which Catalans had with BeIN Sports to handle negotiations and lead the commercial and marketing part of things???  Oh vey!

Wasn't much of a deal. Seemed an Eddie Stobart type effort.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Wasn't much of a deal. Seemed an Eddie Stobart type effort.

It was a paying contract for them, and realistically it paid the French market value of a league where most of the visiting teams are in places unknown to the French public and when they go to France to play they play in a small town which is likely also unknown to the bulk of the French public.

• Like 4