Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

NRL plans to re-launch on 28 May

Recommended Posts

The NRL could be back on the field on Thursday 28 May, if the Australian Rugby League Commission gives the go-ahead at its meeting on...

View the full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

The NRL could be back on the field on Thursday 28 May, if the Australian Rugby League Commission gives the go-ahead at its meeting on...

View the full article

Please God make this happen.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see how this could work if players and officials are tested on the way in and then kept in a 'bubble' but how would the Sydney based players travelling to and from home work (as proposed) if there are still social restrictions in place.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dunbar said:

I could see how this could work if players and officials are tested on the way in and then kept in a 'bubble' but how would the Sydney based players travelling to and from home work (as proposed) if there are still social restrictions in place.

Players, officials, the guy who marks the pitch, the people who wash the kits, all the camera and tech operators, the caterers ... it's going to be quite a big bubble.

Plus also see: how reliable are the tests ...

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great news. I hope Superleague can do so as well soon. Like the NRL, I really think they need to just accept they have to run a shorter season, rather than cramming in games or playing until December. I know finances aren't great, but Superleague is in a great position to provide broadcasters with content they need, given only 2 games a week are shown. Would be pretty easy to just show 3 each week in a 22 game season from here - even if they have to provide the third tv game on another weeknight they could. With the NRL finishing on schedule an ashes series would be possible, so here's hoping England can make it work too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Players, officials, the guy who marks the pitch, the people who wash the kits, all the camera and tech operators, the caterers ... it's going to be quite a big bubble.

Plus also see: how reliable are the tests ...

Well it's either that or allowing players and all the rest to do all their jobs and then go back to their families every day.

Surely health and wellbeing of the general public supersedes the need to get a rugby competition back up and running. How can it possibly work with social restrictions still in place?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

How can it possibly work with social restrictions still in place?

It can't. It's simply the latest in a series of dumb ideas the NRL seems to have been putting out there as a way of avoiding reality.

 

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am sorry but i would have a suspect hamstring for at least 6 months. its crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Hurrah! Same thing will happen to football here, and RL will follow.

The Bundesliga is looking at restarting in May behind closed doors. Training has already begun in small groups

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The Bundesliga is looking at restarting in May behind closed doors. Training has already begun in small groups

Indeed.
The show must go on and all that jazz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Pulga said:

That’s some serious support when the government will help out as much as they can to get it started up again.
........

For me, the NRL is an opportunity as a state and nation to start the process of recovery. I can assure you that we want to work with the NRL. Government has a role here. I’ve had a conversation with the Premier that if the NRL can put forward its measures, its protocols, we will work with them to get through this season.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This afternoon, I was watching a replay of a 2019 Abu Dhabi T10 cricket match. A bit of panem et circenses helps the long day go by. Rugby League, even in an empty stadium, would help scratch that itch.

  • Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, del capo said:

This is a world wide epidemic. The black cloud has yet to hit Australia full on. Lock down and stay that way or lose thousands of lives....

Yes it is a world wide issue and fortunately Australia is doing a lot better than most which is why the Nrl with expert knowledge can consider restarting. I feel for the countries that have been hit hard by this.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Omott91 said:

Yes it is a world wide issue and fortunately Australia is doing a lot better than most which is why the Nrl with expert knowledge can consider restarting. I feel for the countries that have been hit hard by this.

I think the issue is that we are not sure why Australia is doing better. Unfortunately, there are likely to be appealing ideas about Australians being special which might be dangerous.


"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

How exactly is the NRL going on in isolation putting the general public in danger?

 You do understand that the competition would be going on in isolation and that once inside the camp none of the participants would have contact with anybody on the outside.

It is a gathering of at least thirty-four men in close physical contact, plus physios, officials etc.


"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It is a gathering of at least thirty-four men in close physical contact, plus physios, officials etc.

The cameramen are going to be thrilled at living in isolation for several months.

Still, as presumably wives and sex workers won't be allowed into the bubble, we may finally see a normalising of homosexual relations in men's rugby league.

Though hopefully not on the field.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nine Blast NRL powerbrokers over lack of consultation opver restart

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-2020-channel-nine-stunning-attack-mismanagement-015505242.html


?

Quote

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

 
Eddie Demsey RMT
 
Quote

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Nine Blast NRL powerbrokers over lack of consultation opver restart

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-2020-channel-nine-stunning-attack-mismanagement-015505242.html

I strongly suspect that's a media company realising it has less cash than it would like and is flinging a dead cat on the table.

  • Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

How exactly is the NRL going on in isolation putting the general public in danger?

 You do understand that the competition would be going on in isolation and that once inside the camp none of the participants would have contact with anybody on the outside.

The article posted yesterday from the Sydney Morning Herald said the following.

"After high-level discussions between the NSW government and NRL powerbrokers, Sydney-based players will be allowed to remain at home when the competition resumes, which was well received by the RLPA, whose members were reluctant to undergo solitary confinement."

Has that been reversed and everyone in the comp will now be in isolation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

Wtf are you talking about?! You think a pandemic is a laughing matter? Shame on you 

Ah... no... returned troll... off you go. Plague somewhere else please.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks like a 'we desperately need the money and to hell with player welfare and any other consequences' strategy to me.

Deluded and it will be a PR disaster.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...