Rugby league receives £16 million loan lifeline (Merged threads)

Rimmer was just on R4 (about 7.25) explaining the loan. Said the Rugby League Dividend report played a role (a valuable legacy of Andy Burnham’s presidency if I may say so, commissioning that was a very smart move).

The money will be used to “reshape and re-emerge”. Adamant it won’t be spunked on wages.

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 3

The professional arm of the game, will have seen a large reduction in its costs, so this should not be seen to enable a top level competition to start up again, and forget about the rest of the structure

Sky have also provided their current quarters TV payment, so there is other income coming in at the top level

This should overall be to maintain the integrity of the structure of the whole game from a club in Division 5 of the Yorkshire League to say Leeds Rhinos at the top. The whole game does a lot of great work in the community and this loan should be treated as a whole game sum

I can also see that the Govt want to see a successful RLWC in 2021 and this may be a factor in ensuring that the whole game is able to ride the current storm and put on a great World Cup next year

• Like 2

The government PR about it makes clear that it is, in part, about meeting a manifesto commitment to support the RLWC next year. There must have been a genuine worry that rugby league wouldn't have the resources to do what's need doing this year for that next year.

Also, given that it needs to be paid back, this will be going to things that can themselves generate £16m plus.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

31 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

The professional arm of the game, will have seen a large reduction in its costs, so this should not be seen to enable a top level competition to start up again, and forget about the rest of the structure

Sky have also provided their current quarters TV payment, so there is other income coming in at the top level.

It’s not all about Super League, absolutely, but it’ll ease the financial pain of SL clubs coming off furlough payments when the scheme ends next month and playing behind closed doors with no gate money.

7 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

I’ve no idea how many Community RL clubs there are but there can’t be more than 1000. If so, that’s £16,000 each and more than many of them would have ever seen. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t some preconditions regarding receipt of this money which is linked with a major reorganisation of the sport. 

Are not community clubs cover by or eligible for Sport England help. This reads like there is £165 million across all "community" sports.  Anyone on here actually involved?

On 31 March, we (Sport England) announced up to £195 million of funding to help the sport and physical activity sector through the ongoing coronavirus crisis.The package, which is a combination of National Lottery and government funding,...

https://www.sportengland.org/how-we-can-help/coronavirus-funding-and-flexibility

I'm connected to a (community) jazz club ( 100% volunteers, no wages) and we have already had a 5 figure grant from our local authority, so these things are out there and happening.

• Like 3

Four legs good - two legs bad

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Friends in high places.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/11521989/rugby-league-government-package-coronavirus/

£16m should tide us over. Shouldn’t it?

Very welcome news and well done RFL. Typical Sun though. Why is this Johnson's rescue package? I doubt he'd recognise Rugby if he found it in his soup 

Edited by John Rhino
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Are not community clubs cover by or eligible for Sport England help. This reads like there is £165 million across all "community" sports.  Anyone on here actually involved?

On 31 March, we (Sport England) announced up to £195 million of funding to help the sport and physical activity sector through the ongoing coronavirus crisis.The package, which is a combination of National Lottery and government funding,...

https://www.sportengland.org/how-we-can-help/coronavirus-funding-and-flexibility

I'm connected to a (community) jazz club ( 100% volunteers, no wages) and we have already had a 5 figure grant from our local authority, so these things are out there and happening.

I’m a member of a small, private Bowling Club and along with numerous other bowling clubs in the Yorkshire area  we have also received a £10,000 grant ( not a loan)

Help is available out there and it’s a simple online application, our money came through in a matter of days. Well done to the Government ??

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Amazing how many negative comments there are about this, what exactly did anyone expect or realistically want ?

I don't see any negative comments so far. Not one. Everyone has welcomed it. People are just speculating whether it's a loan or a grant, if a loan what are the conditions. What else is there to say on a discussion forum 

• Like 1

Great news for the game and should really aid in the survival of clubs. Obviously all the other measures that clubs have had to do with regards furloughing and cutbacks will have to stay in place but this additional money should be enough to see clubs through with their basic running costs.

11 hours ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Hurrah.

And thanks for that.

I read a snippet in the BBC about various sports getting together to discuss the future. Not really followed the details, but the RL not listed. May be an oversight.  But 16 mill greatful and the loan details seem generous.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Rimmer was just on R4 (about 7.25) explaining the loan. Said the Rugby League Dividend report played a role (a valuable legacy of Andy Burnham’s presidency if I may say so, commissioning that was a very smart move).

The money will be used to “reshape and re-emerge”. Adamant it won’t be spunked on wages.

Not being spent on Odsal then?

Yes I know it's a bad joke, but it's early in the morning.

It will help a great deal, but many sponsors might be unable to continue supporting certain clubs, in which case some of this money might be needed to compensate for these shortfalls?

I believe that we should be proud that the RFL responded to this crisis with alacrity and produced what I understand to be a very comprehensive case for government support before some "bigger" sports had even thought about what to do.

Ralph Rimmer and his team have been subjected to waves of criticism, possibly justified in some cases, by fans and chairmen of SL clubs but in this instance they should be praised for their foresight and initaitive.

Sad to say but I now await a stream of claims from certain SL chairmen explaining why ther vast majoroty of this money should be funnelled directly to their clubs.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

It will help a great deal, but many sponsors might be unable to continue supporting certain clubs, in which case some of this money might be needed to compensate for these shortfalls?

"Needed" Steve?

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Dave Woods on BBC says the repayment if the loan should not be onerous. But frankly irrespective, it's better than the game disappearing.

But also let's be , "frank, candid and earnest", other similar sized sports are in the same boat and dare I say it, they them the RU, they are bigger but have farther to fall.

So outside Premiership football it's going to be 12 months toil for all concerned.  

And personally, having seen people on TV gasping for breath on ventilators, I have to gird my loins and keep my fingers crossed just going to the local co op.  So thanks to this horrible mass virus, life is going to be different for some time. Sport is not going to be any different.

As for RL, I do think the game needs to take this unheralded (unfortunate) hiatus to take a long hard look at itself looking forward.  But clearly we are not very good at that. But again, fingers crossed.

But for now, bless us all and praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

I’d already responded to the point John but yes there is the grant available for eligible businesses which I think is linked to payment of business rates. There will be clubs out there that may not be paying them I suspect and they will be vulnerable. The loan is clearly very welcome for the game, although I repeat what I said about possible demands of government that the sport reorganise and cut unnecessary costs, which will link in with what was being trailed last week about SL and RFL coming back together. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Firstly, kudos to the RFL for moving swiftly and proactively on this and 'getting the job done'. I've been as a big a critic of Rimmer and his ilk for many years, but he's delivered here.

I guess we see now why McManus and Hudgell have been so keen to praise the RFL and talk openly about getting back into a partnership with them? Presumably they figured out that the RFL would be responsible for distributing the £16million and don't want to be on the outer. Cynical? Yes, a bit...

I assume that Toronto, Catalans and Toulouse won't be getting any of it? In this instance, I can see the argument why they shouldn't.

I look forward with interest to see the terms and conditions of the apportionment - as ever, the 'devil is in the detail'. I really, really hope it is going to be focussed on building long-term sustainability and, eventually, growth. Not simply 'tide over' money for failing businesses. What's the point in giving a club a big chunk of money just to delay their demise by a few months? That money would then need to be paid back by the game as a whole, and there wouldn't be anything in the pot to do that.

• Like 5