Jump to content
Eddie

Your involvement in RL

Recommended Posts

How many of you have been involved in running league clubs or leagues; be it ownership, director, administrative, coaching etc? And if you have, at what level?

For the record I’ve had no involvement at all, sadly I’ve lived 100+ miles from the nearest rugby league team since I was 21. If I did live nearer one I’d definitely like to get involved in some administrative capacity. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

where did you live, btw life during corona has proved people can work effectively remotely. i am sure most RL clubs would welcome you on board.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IM2 said:

where did you live, btw life during corona has proved people can work effectively remotely. i am sure most RL clubs would welcome you on board.

Norfolk. 
 

I had thought about that, I might get in touch with a few clubs and see if there’s anything I could do ?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a Player, and committee person at the Great Irlam Hornets, I played for (Brent) -Ealing, when I moved to London, and started an ill fated club that lasted 1.75 seasons called Hillingdon Tigers, based in Uxbridge. After us not going on to win the World Club Challenge, I sort of lost interest in organising RL.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I was a Player, and committee person at the Great Irlam Hornets, I played for (Brent) -Ealing, when I moved to London, and started an ill fated club that lasted 1.75 seasons called Hillingdon Tigers, based in Uxbridge. After us not going on to win the World Club Challenge, I sort of lost interest in organising RL.

Actually, after getting beat 0-102, and breaking both olacranon in the same match demolarised me. That's when I turned to the DARK SIDE, & started playing Union, Roxteth Manor OB, then West London RFC

Edited by Bleep1673

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been there and have got the T shirt.

In my time from founding an expansionist amatuer club to a semi pro outfit. I have done EVERYTHING from clearing up dog muck to being the chairman ( both vital). 

I have experienced every adjective except boring.

Would I do it again?........... not in a firkin million years.

The best bit was some of the people.

The worst bit was some of the other people.

 

Edit. On reflection

That's not fair. I can only count on my fingers the number people that have given me grief. As against the literally thousands ( including some to be found lurking on this forum) that have been a real pleasure to meet.

Edited by Bearman
  • Like 16

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Been there and have got the T shirt.

In my time from founding an expansionist amatuer club to a semi pro outfit. I have done EVERYTHING from clearing up dog muck to being the chairman ( both vital). 

I have experienced every adjective except boring.

Would I do it again?........... not in a firkin million years.

The best bit was some of the people.

The worst bit was some of the other people.

 

Edit. On reflection

That's not fair. I can only count on my fingers the number people that have given me grief. As against the literally thousands ( including some to be found lurking on this forum) that have been a real pleasure to meet.

What club is that, if you don’t mind me asking? I’m guessing Cov?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Been there and have got the T shirt.

In my time from founding an expansionist amatuer club to a semi pro outfit. I have done EVERYTHING from clearing up dog muck to being the chairman ( both vital). 

I have experienced every adjective except boring.

Would I do it again?........... not in a firkin million years.

The best bit was some of the people.

The worst bit was some of the other people.

 

Edit. On reflection

That's not fair. I can only count on my fingers the number people that have given me grief. As against the literally thousands ( including some to be found lurking on this forum) that have been a real pleasure to meet.

You missed out lifting up the broken  beer bottle glass and empty syringes before kick off  Bearman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Actually, after getting beat 0-102, and breaking both olacranon in the same match demolarised me. That's when I turned to the DARK SIDE, & started playing Union, Roxteth Manor OB, then West London RFC

Oof! That must have been some tackle if you broke both elbows and lost all your back teeth.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought shares in Skolars last year but didn't manage to get to a board meeting due to work. Hoping to get more involved whenever the season gets going again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Bought shares in Skolars last year but didn't manage to get to a board meeting due to work. Hoping to get more involved whenever the season gets going again.

Can anyone buy shares in the Skolars, or is there a minimum investment / other requirements?

In fact does anyone know if there are any clubs that fans/the public can buy shares in? I’m not talking about loads, just a few hundred quid (obviously with no expectation of a return!). 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played at junior school , last game was lifting a trophy at Hilton Park , coached at junior school and community kids level , first season we managed one draw , lost the rest 

A director at a Championship/SL club for 4 years in joint charge of academy and community dept had a right laugh ( had to explain to a police forensic officer that the community dept hadn't been broken into and trashed , but was in fact a mess created by myself and several others holding a party in there after gaining promotion to SL ? ) and also immense frustration at the lack of innovation and long term thinking 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played junior and open age, been club secretary and chairman, been on local league committee (PRO and IC disciplinary), videoed for 3 pro clubs and RFL, still videoing for 1 (Skolars), helped set up 2 amateur sides, taken training from schools sessions to open age, , set up scheme to bring French juniors to UK clubs (Tony Gigot was one of those to come across to Broncos), refereed, sorted out kit and other clothing and now thinking about just spectating after I reach 60. 

Edited by BJW
amended
  • Like 2

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Eddie said:

For the record I’ve had no involvement at all, sadly I’ve lived 100+ miles from the nearest rugby league team since I was 21. If I did live nearer one I’d definitely like to get involved in some administrative capacity. 

How sure are you about that?  I see Eastern Rhinos, seem to be quite an active club, they are 65 miles away in Colchester.

Then there is the King's Lynn Black Knights at 27 miles.  Now I know, they are not exactly in your backyard, but still more within reach than it first seemed.

From what I see, King's Lynn seem to have either recently folded or on the verge of folding.  Who knows, maybe someone like you coming along might just tip the scales again and get them going again?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, langpark said:

How sure are you about that?  I see Eastern Rhinos, seem to be quite an active club, they are 65 miles away in Colchester.

Then there is the King's Lynn Black Knights at 27 miles.  Now I know, they are not exactly in your backyard, but still more within reach than it first seemed.

From what I see, King's Lynn seem to have either recently folded or on the verge of folding.  Who knows, maybe someone like you coming along might just tip the scales again and get them going again?

 

Not sure where you get your distances from. Colchester is 80 miles from where I live and Kings Lynn over 50. Also in Norfolk 50 miles is well over an hour, unless you’re using our one duel carriageway (the A11), which I wouldn’t be for either of those trips. 
 

Thanks for the info though, I’ll look into Kings Lynn, though I think they folded a few years ago. I know they (or people who were involved with them) have been promoting the Lithuanian National team since. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to consider myself the official pie and beer taster when my local suburban team plays.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to put my experience down, since the lockdown at the end of March, I have created the foundations to a new rugby league team setup in Harrogate (Harrogate Fire Ants) creating a website, social media and club policies before moving on and securing sponsors, physios and medical teams and recruiting interested players. I have also been on the RL championship and League 1 podcast after establishing links with York City Knights foundation. Also creating links with 2 schools for community projects and a specialist colllege for Learning disability rugby league and the biggest project bringing a mentor on board from North Yorkshire Sport which if anyone is setting up a team getting the local equivalent if available really is invaluable, to assist with applying for grants and council training pitches or other training facility contacts etc. All of this has been done without any face to face contact, all done via zoom/Skype and on the phone and email. It has taken alot of time in the evenings and weekends as I have been working full time from home but have had the time to do it due to lockdown so once lifted it is literally ready to go. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a season ticket for the Bulls.

Who play five drives and a kick on a mini-pitch.

In Dewsbury.

I buy my mate one as well.

It's expensive but cheaper than having to pay a dominatrix to laugh at my dogged persistent attitude, sneer at my memories, wee on me and then hit me with a spiky bat.

 

???

 

 

 

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a secretary / team manger of open age & junior teams. Plus chairman of junior section for a bit. Quite happy now being a part time masters player

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Just to put my experience down, since the lockdown at the end of March, I have created the foundations to a new rugby league team setup in Harrogate (Harrogate Fire Ants) creating a website, social media and club policies before moving on and securing sponsors, physios and medical teams and recruiting interested players. I have also been on the RL championship and League 1 podcast after establishing links with York City Knights foundation. Also creating links with 2 schools for community projects and a specialist colllege for Learning disability rugby league and the biggest project bringing a mentor on board from North Yorkshire Sport which if anyone is setting up a team getting the local equivalent if available really is invaluable, to assist with applying for grants and council training pitches or other training facility contacts etc. All of this has been done without any face to face contact, all done via zoom/Skype and on the phone and email. It has taken alot of time in the evenings and weekends as I have been working full time from home but have had the time to do it due to lockdown so once lifted it is literally ready to go. 

Mate, that sounds absolutely superb!!!

Just out of interest, regarding the Fireants, what league are you going to enter and have you got many players? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said before that I started playing last year at the age of 33.

Began coaching this year with the U8s. Got one trial game in and COVID put an end to it and my playing season.

I was on the first board of the Latin Heat after founding the El Salvador Rugby League in '13 or '14 and stayed on the next year.

I'm currently on the Australian steering committee of the ESRL.

I also founded the Nicaragua rugby league last year and they played their inaugural 4-team domestic comp in the same year. 3 different cities are involved. That's probably my proudest moment.

I've been involved with a few more nations also.

Currently trying to spread the game to the rest of Central America and looking into a potential Central American Super League. It may be beyond me but it's worth a look.

If anyone believes they are too far away from the heartlands or whatever, don't be disheartened. You can do anything these days without leaving your house.

Get in touch if you'd like. Your time and money goes a lot further in developing nations.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Mate, that sounds absolutely superb!!!

Just out of interest, regarding the Fireants, what league are you going to enter and have you got many players? 

 

Thanks alot, it's been alot of graft so far and have learnt alot whilst doing it too but can't wait to get going. For 2020 (if any play) and 2021 we will be playing friendlies against several teams both home and away and hopefully going to the London 9s. We have established links with a few clubs for this. We are looking at 2022 for entry into Yorkshire mens. We have a firm interest from approx 20 currently, with the schools programme and promotional events like our sponsors launch night is should be sustainable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...