NRL ‘should buy Super League’

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some interesting thoughts in there and it is always nice to see an Australian calling for more internationals and strengthening of the international game.

I am not sure how the NRL taking over Super League can be reconciled with his comments in the same article that the NRL is just a competition and should be cutting administrators and and handing funding back to the 16 Australian clubs though.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

There are some interesting thoughts in there and it is always nice to see an Australian calling for more internationals and strengthening of the international game.

I am not sure how the NRL taking over Super League can be reconciled with his comments in the same article that the NRL is just a competition and should be cutting administrators and and handing funding back to the 16 Australian clubs though.

Yes, I thought the later comment about the NRL not being a brand was highly contradictory too.

Gus Gould absolutely loves Peter V'landys. Always praising him.

No mention of the NRL working closer with the International Rugby League or SL, just a take over. Which speaks volumes about their opinion of both organisations and their ability.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

says Gus Gould:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/league-was-lucky-to-survive-here-is-how-it-can-thrive-once-again-20200620-p554i3.html

This seems to be an idea gaining traction but - other than the cosmetic rebranding of Super League as ‘NRL Europe’ (which has echoes of the failed World League/NFL Europe) - what would be the advantage?

IMO it should.  We will be a lot stronger together as a game.

No doubt there are experts that will disagree and 5 years ago I thought differently,  but not anymore.  Despite both the NRL and SL having money problems, the NRL, associated media & TV, RL development and the structure seems to be a whole lot more professional to me.

Not for me. While it’s unequivocally clear that Super League needs a far better administration than we have, I think we need to maintain a sense of independence from the NRL. A better working relationship and a sharing of ideas is fine with me, however, I feel a little bit uncomfortable being under the NRL umbrella and potentially being more of a feeder league for the NRL. 

19 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Not for me. While it’s unequivocally clear that Super League needs a far better administration than we have, I think we need to maintain a sense of independence from the NRL. A better working relationship and a sharing of ideas is fine with me, however, I feel a little bit uncomfortable being under the NRL umbrella and potentially being more of a feeder league for the NRL. 

I think this just about sums up my feelings as well and as a Hull fan whenever anything like this is brought up its just hardwired into me to think merger. 

Some good points but a lot a vagueness and waffle too. I don't think many would dispute a lot of what he says but its more of a wish list of the type you see on here and quite frankly the NRL could have made much progress on a lot of it a decade ago.

Every NRL club could adopt a Super League club and run them as a feeder club. Players could come over from the NRL club to gain experience before they are ready for the NRL. The SL players who are good enough could step up and go play for their parent NRL club. On top of this NRL clubs are undoubtedly better run off the field (maybe with the exception of Leeds) they could bring their expertise to SL.

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Every NRL club could adopt a Super League club and run them as a feeder club. Players could come over from the NRL club to gain experience before they are ready for the NRL. The SL players who are good enough could step up and go play for their parent NRL club. On top of this NRL clubs are undoubtedly better run off the field (maybe with the exception of Leeds) they could bring their expertise to SL.

This is exactly what I see as a worst case scenario for Super League. 

13 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Complete male genitals , a couple of months ago there was a thread highlighting the financial mess several NRL clubs were in 

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Would it not be a better idea to have an organisation such as the IRL given more power rather than the NRL and Super League doing their own things?

To me it would depend upon their intentions.

If they want to increase matchups between Northern and Southern Hemispheres at either club or international levels it will be a positive for us.

If they want to share best practice and money making know how then that’s great although it’s worth bearing in mind that we’re up against the Premier League and they’re up against Aussie Rules in the battle for sports fans time and interest so there’s a big difference.

If the intention is to accelerate a talent drain then we’ll forever remain a junior partner in this relationship and their competition will grow at the expense of ours.

46 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

To me it would depend upon their intentions.

If they want to increase matchups between Northern and Southern Hemispheres at either club or international levels it will be a positive for us.

If they want to share best practice and money making know how then that’s great although it’s worth bearing in mind that we’re up against the Premier League and they’re up against Aussie Rules in the battle for sports fans time and interest so there’s a big difference.

If the intention is to accelerate a talent drain then we’ll forever remain a junior partner in this relationship and their competition will grow at the expense of ours.

Considering they generally see internationals as second fiddle and have poor financial records which for many clubs depends on slot machine money despite getting 130% of the cap paid from central funding; I'd wager the chances are we'd become a feeder comp.

Archived