Sign in to follow this  
JM2010

RL's fastest player XIII

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Dave chisnall was deceptively fast for a prop saw him chase down john woods, in the past every club had sprinters on the wing, Drummond, Fielding both hit top times in superstars. Wasnt a former sprint champion trialled at leigh I think he was Bailey-Mcdonald. 

Yep , those little legs Dave had couldn't half move fast over 20 yards , I recall him putting in a chip kick that bounced off the crossbar which he then caught to score while playing for Warrington against Wigan at Central park in the 75 CC quarter final , if a prop did that today the pundits would be orgasming over it 

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Dave chisnall was deceptively fast for a prop saw him chase down john woods, in the past every club had sprinters on the wing, Drummond, Fielding both hit top times in superstars. Wasnt a former sprint champion trialled at leigh I think he was Bailey-Mcdonald. 

Beat me to it, drat.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Beat me to it, drat.

Another fast back rower Dave mako(spelling may be wrong). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Darryl Clark's recorded speed in 2019 would have made him the 5th fastest player in the NRL last year... ahead of Ryan Papenhuyzen and James Tedesco among others.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/24/addo-carr-sets-new-nrl-record-as-speedsters-xiii-is-revealed/Amp/

I would suggest that this is a pretty strong case for him being among the fastest 9's to have played the game.

Is it top speed or quickest over 40 meters or 100 meters etc

46 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Is it top speed or quickest over 40 meters or 100 meters etc

I don't mind. Who are the quickest over 40 metres and 100 metres?

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I don't mind. Who are the quickest over 40 metres and 100 metres?

40m is acceleration where as 100m is more of a measure on aceleration and top speed.

Top speed is 35m/sec etc

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

40m is acceleration where as 100m is more of a measure on aceleration and top speed.

Top speed is 35m/sec etc

Yes, I have been posting the top speed of players as we have that information from the GPS trackers we have. Do we have the 40m and 100m info?

35m/sec is pretty rapid... that's 100m in under 3 seconds.

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, I have been posting the top speed of players as we have that information from the GPS trackers we have. Do we have the 40m and 100m info?

35m/sec is pretty rapid... that's 100m in under 3 seconds.

Ha that was as example, 

It would be hard to compare pre GPS tracker 

We would have 40m data if they released it

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Dave Chisnall defied his body shape with the pace he could generate. 

The darts player ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The darts player ?

Got me David, since the Jockey Wison et all era I think I can only name one darts player Phil Taylor such is my interest in that sport - game -, albeit my old mum would never miss 'Bullesye' on a Sunday.

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Got me David, since the Jockey Wison et all era I think I can only name one darts player Phil Taylor such is my interest in that sport - game -, albeit my old mum would never miss 'Bullesye' on a Sunday.

Loved it . Especially when the couple from a terrace in Oldham won a speedboat 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Ha that was as example, 

It would be hard to compare pre GPS tracker 

We would have 40m data if they released it

I agree that it is impossible to compare the pre and post GPS tracker era's.  But today we have a really accurate picture of which players are the quickest - and top speed is a pretty a good reflection of which are the quickest players... i.e. those that run the fastest are the quickest.

As for the 40m and 100m.  I would suggest that the 40m is the most important measure.  While 100m sprints in League can happen (length of the field efforts) they are not common and there are more 40m efforts in games.

The top speed and acceleration are not going to be truly synonymous as players can reach top speeds quicker than others but I would suggest that those who register the top speeds in the games would also have some of the strongest 40m sprint times... the likes of Addo-Carr, Matt Dufty, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Suliasi Vunivalu etc.

An example of a player who may not register right at the top of the highest speed list but has really good acceleration is Damien Cook.

• Like 1

There were some absolute flying machines in the game in the 50s. For example, Ralph McCarten at Workington who clocked 9.7 seconds for 100 yards and beat the Then world record holder and Olympic medalist McDonald Bailey on 3 occasions. Or Frank Castle at Barrow who ran in professional sprint races and clocked 9.6 seconds. Then there were Mike Murray (Barrow) and Rodney Tickle (Leigh) who both won the world professional sprinting championship at Powderhall.

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

16 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Berwyn Jones who played on the wing for Bradford Northern and Wakefield in the 1960s won sprint medals in the Commonwealth Games and European Championships before he turned to rugby.

Vaughan Thomas on the opposite wing was no slouch either. He was also a Powderhall sprinter and when he moved from Fev to Bradford it was said at the time that collectively Northern had the fastest pair of wingers in the game. It was also rumoured that Berwyn wouldn't go up against him in training for fear of losing, 

3 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Another good shout. M Jackson Medley and Nickle backrow

Wouldn't you say Hanley was faster? He started out as a winger

One of the fastest back row forwards I ever watched was big Bill Ashurst ,,and Mike Gregory was not far behind.

But come on you Salford guys - what about your Quality St gang ? Maurice Ritchards had pace and Dai Watkins had it to burn....

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

There were some absolute flying machines in the game in the 50s. For example, Ralph McCarten at Workington who clocked 9.7 seconds for 100 yards and beat the Then world record holder and Olympic medalist McDonald Bailey on 3 occasions. Or Frank Castle at Barrow who ran in professional sprint races and clocked 9.6 seconds. Then there were Mike Murray (Barrow) and Rodney Tickle (Leigh) who both won the world professional sprinting championship at Powderhall.

The Powderhall Sprint, was a Handicapped race.

Edited by Harry Stottle

5 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

McDonald Bailey's Rugby debut. Also his last match.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

McDonald Bailey's Rugby debut. Also his last match.

Scored a try in the game though according to the voice over on the video.