Ottawa Aces

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

The silver lining of this could be the potential of Toronto and Ottawa restarting in L1 in 2022. I wont hold my breath and there are numerous hurdles to that, not least deeply rooted institutionalized rot in the governing of the game, but it would be a spark of hope. 

I've always thought that the whole North American expansion would work better with multiple clubs in the same league at the same time. It would obviously need to be at Championship level, rather than League 1, but if you had Toronto, Ottawa and even New York if they ever came to pass, teams could fly out play all 3 in a week or just over and fly back. One set of flights, expenses shared, less expense for the North American teams from traveling as much etc and not much more hassle for the visiting team and if anything it would be a heck of an experience for them.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I've always thought that the whole North American expansion would work better with multiple clubs in the same league at the same time. It would obviously need to be at Championship level, rather than League 1, but if you had Toronto, Ottawa and even New York if they ever came to pass, teams could fly out play all 3 in a week or just over and fly back. One set of flights, expenses shared, less expense for the North American teams from traveling as much etc and not much more hassle for the visiting team and if anything it would be a heck of an experience for them.

I like all the teams at the same level. You could quickly get to a NA conference that way that then had play-offs with the Championship team and some cross-conference games. Bit of a fantasy but possible. The problem with this is that most of the championship is part time so they couldnt go over in blocks. 

I mean honestly I think NA expansion is over unless some kind of miracle happens and the RFL wrestle control of the game back and Elstone is hung, drawn and quartered.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

It’s very annoying that a lot of people in Toronto took an interest in attending rugby league and the U.K. has knocked on the opportunity presented to it.

As others have said it must worry Ottawa as the whole tone from Super League was wrong imo.

Would be great if the Aces and Wolfpack could resurrected/saved in some fashion - time for a cheeky conferences thread? 😉

7 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

A good question.  In my opinion most of the L1 and Championship should be amateur anyway.  And next season is still under a cloud.  Maybe a tier that could be "open", that is amateur but could pay a limited number of players if they could afford.  In any event how can teams afford to travel away to them?

As such it makes it difficult to see teams like them jumping straight in without serious finance.  But surely following the TWP debacle, they need a foundation and developing their own players as well.

"Clears throat". Let's spell it out for the millionth time.  The Toronto "debacle" was not a "debacle" at all. They were investing far more money in the game than other "super" league clubs. But then this thing called covid happened - you might have heard about it.

8 hours ago, SL17 said:

There’s so much that could have been done in lockdown. I’m bewildered at the clubs taking the easy option of furlough. You have the big bonus now of sitting on your ar ses  until March. 

Good Luck.

One day you may tell us all about these things you know for certain that clubs and fans could have done, you spend a lot of time telling us theres loads they could do yet strangely never actually say what those amazing things are.

9 hours ago, Damien said:

Yes its far too far away from the M62. It should just be a northern game for northern people.

I said it was a serious question. I wanted a serious answer. So again, why? 

Loving the game isn't enough of an answer. 

8 hours ago, silverback said:

What would a been canadian about ottowa playing in lancashire with local lads for all of 2021.😇

It would *have been very Canadian to accept and embrace that working together towards a common agoal means more than where you came from.

*Ottawa

Before people try and shoot me down I know "Major League Rugby" which surprising as it might be is in North America and Union . Is due to start their 18 week regular season on 20 March 2021 with the final being 1st August. That has a pro club from Toronto traveling across USA not quite yet got into Ottawa. A 12 is team league with a standard US style college draft too. They have been running for 4 years and already look professional although attendances on the low side for USA with average across the league 2100 but imagine that is all paying fans.

If Rugby Leagues North America adventure is going to be transatlantic and last we need to either concentrate on one country e.g. Canada and have a development officer assigned there or have "East Coast Region" which includes Canada and I would get this down to developing a team from Florida (either way) and possibly even Jamica building on the World Cup Success with a view of creating an All NA and Caribbean League system (Nicaragua and others are up and coming too) 

2 hours ago, Hello said:

"Clears throat". Let's spell it out for the millionth time.  The Toronto "debacle" was not a "debacle" at all. They were investing far more money in the game than other "super" league clubs. But then this thing called covid happened - you might have heard about it.

No. There was more than that.  And covid has lost loads of money by other SL clubs.

43 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Before people try and shoot me down I know "Major League Rugby" which surprising as it might be is in North America and Union . Is due to start their 18 week regular season on 20 March 2021 with the final being 1st August. That has a pro club from Toronto traveling across USA not quite yet got into Ottawa. A 12 is team league with a standard US style college draft too. They have been running for 4 years and already look professional although attendances on the low side for USA with average across the league 2100 but imagine that is all paying fans.

If Rugby Leagues North America adventure is going to be transatlantic and last we need to either concentrate on one country e.g. Canada and have a development officer assigned there or have "East Coast Region" which includes Canada and I would get this down to developing a team from Florida (either way) and possibly even Jamica building on the World Cup Success with a view of creating an All NA and Caribbean League system (Nicaragua and others are up and coming too) 

The professionalism of MLR https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/oct/21/major-league-rugby-us-glendale-raptors-withdrawal

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just how many times will we come to a TGG thread where it will be hijacked by Yawn? It's like being in a Twickers sandwich between them and the anti-expansionist lobby. ( Lobby is not being used as a pseudonym for Leigh by the way)

Ottawa are on the way out because they've come to their senses, probably. I know Perez says it's noting to do with the TWP fiasco but he's a bit too astute for him not to have taken the hint.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

59 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

No. There was more than that.  And covid has lost loads of money by other SL clubs.

Ha ha, they had just months before paid a record huge amount for just one player - blows out of the water any silly notion that it was anything other than covid that caused them to withdraw.

Archived