garry schofield

I really enjoyed it as a game.  

My mum said it was quite boring.  Her partner said he thought Saints had more breaks (not my impression).

They both thought the last try was flukey (though I'd say a mixture of fluke/determination/Wigan error).

People see the same thing differently I guess.

I don't mind Schofield.  He gets it wrong sometimes for sure but he also dishes out some legitimate criticism and is one of the few in the game to do it (and who isn't just a moaning fan).

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

He gets it wrong sometimes for sure but he also dishes out some legitimate criticism

He gets it wrong all the time for sure but he also dishes out some unnecessary and negative criticism

I don't think my synonyms button is working.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, dkw said:

Calling that try a fluke is a disgraceful description of something we as a sport pride ourselves on, and thats not giving up, chasing everything to the final second of the game, pure effort after 80 minutes of battle by an astonishing young player. Its exactly the kind of thing every single coach at every single level of the sport should be showing all of their players, the rewards that come with incredible effort in the ultimate game in our country. To try and talk it down is disingenuous at best, bitter and pathetic at worst. Zeroing in on French making a mistake rather than Wellsby making the most of the tiniest opportunity sums up the miserable nature of so many of our so called supporters.

Can't disagree with any of that dk, BUT, it was noticable at the moment the touchdown was made there were 3 Saints player's in the picture who had chased up field just in case the ball rebounded of a post - it was always big and long enough to go dead,  so the only reason it was followed by the chasers was just in case it hit an upright - had it rebounded in another direction it could still possibly have gone in the direction of the other chasing Saints and we could have been applauding another try scorer. 

Now whilst I agree with you that coaches in other sports should be extolling the virtue of reward comes with effort, that could equally apply to the Wigan player's who also could have had an inkling the ball may hit an upright and so chased back 'just in case', the trouble for Wigan was none of them could be bothered to retreat back to defend it. I agree that is a great clip for coaches to show not only for the offensive rewards but also for the defensive not to give up.

6 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

He likes to try to be controversial and different, he is telling everyone today it is Tuesday. 

I might come back tomorrow and read this just to check how controversial and different he is then.

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Because it's his job to be a professional contrarian. 

I would disagree with your last word and substitute it for a somewhat shorter one, although I could still retain three out of the first four letters.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Years ago when he was still with Leeds he was  being used to phone round to supporters doing promotions I.E season ticket renewals etc . My mates wife picked up the phone and spoke to him before handing over to her husband and she commented ' they dont employ articulate office staff at Leeds do they ? ' we all laughed our heads off 🤣

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Absolutely.

A player could chase a drop goal attempt in case it hit the post or didn't go dead a thousand times and get no reward.

To have the energy and motivation to chase that kick at the end of such a game is tremendous play.  It got its reward.

If Stevo was still on comms he would have said that it was a training ground move 🤣 

I watched Mr Schofield some time ago on that Forty 20 thing on You Tube. He seemed to be a popular member of the 4 man panel. I never took him to be talking twaddle.

Caught up with the more recent Forty 20 stuff and he's gone missing along with some other bloke who had a lot to say?

The panel is now down to  Phil Caplan and a large looking chap I have trouble in understanding?

Did Mr Schofield get his marching orders or just taking a break? 

7 hours ago, my missus said:

Why can't he just accept that the final was a great game? in todays League Express he reckons it was absorbing if you like "the wrestle" but not an all time classic, how can anyone find anything negative about that game.

And why take away Welsby's magic moment by saying french switched off, french was beaten by the bounce he did nothing wrong imo.

If you compare the Grand Final to, for example, the 1985 Challenge Cup Final between Wigan and Hull FC, in which Garry played, then it certainly wasn't a classic if you define a classic to mean a game full of brilliant tries scored from deep with brilliant individual performances.

On the other hand, you might define a classic as a tightly contested game with the outcome uncertain until the final piece of action.

I would tend to agree with Garry that the match was absorbing and deeply so, but defences were too tight for it to be a classic running game.

7 hours ago, The Future is League said:

No one of intelligence takes any notice of him.

He's just an attention seeker, 

A very good player, but one of the worst if not the worst Rugby League coache of the modern era and we have a had a few

It must be marvellous to be as intelligent as you clearly are.

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Because it's his job to be a professional contrarian. The problem with people like that is it's often impossible to take what they say at face value. There's a decent chance he genuinely doesn't think it was a great game. There's an equal chance he thinks it was but knows he should write that it wasn't in order to generate interest.

Garry says what he thinks.

Sometimes you'll agree with him and sometimes you won't.

He doesn't write anything to strike a pose.

7 hours ago, my missus said:

And why take away Welsby's magic moment by saying french switched off, french was beaten by the bounce he did nothing wrong imo.

But French did switch off.

I don't think that takes away from Welsby. He still had to chase it, get to the ball first when the bounce changed and ground it before the line whilst keeping his body in play.

However, French (and this is massively in hindsight obviously) should have booted that has into next week. He let it bounce and positioned himself in a way as to try and catch it, either unaware of the chasers or confident he would collect it before they would. 

(Again, that's in hindsight. After 80 minutes of a grueling physical contest, and given such a split second time to make it, you expect some decisions to backfire).

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Ramon Rojo said:

I watched Mr Schofield some time ago on that Forty 20 thing on You Tube. He seemed to be a popular member of the 4 man panel. I never took him to be talking twaddle.

Caught up with the more recent Forty 20 stuff and he's gone missing along with some other bloke who had a lot to say?

The panel is now down to  Phil Caplan and a large looking chap I have trouble in understanding?

Did Mr Schofield get his marching orders or just taking a break? 

Garry Schofield is absent for the simple reason as Phil Caplan stated he does not have wifi.

The other  missing gentleman is Mark Wilson a commentator on Talk Sport who also does commentary on Sky's Rugby league coverage from time to time

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

i always wonder why a few blokes are called garry instead of gary? why the need for the extra r when one is clearly enough, you wouldnt call someone brrian or marrk or brrendan would you?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

59 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

If you compare the Grand Final to, for example, the 1985 Challenge Cup Final between Wigan and Hull FC, in which Garry played, then it certainly wasn't a classic if you define a classic to mean a game full of brilliant tries scored from deep with brilliant individual performances.

On the other hand, you might define a classic as a tightly contested game with the outcome uncertain until the final piece of action.

I would tend to agree with Garry that the match was absorbing and deeply so, but defences were too tight for it to be a classic running game.

You tend to agree with him 99% of the time, but you employ him so i suppose you should

Archived