Is it happening???

The key in sports sponsorship is to cast your net far and wide and also think outside the box.

There are some brilliant companies out there looking to spend money in the UK (One of my wifes biggest clients is in Belarus) and they are a multi billion euro global company who have advertised at rugby union/football and cricket.

Sell the sizzle LOL:)

Despite all the doom and gloom on this forum RL still has a lot going for it to name a few things.

* Major competition on BBC with the final on BBC 1

* Flagship league over 70 matches a year on a global TV company

* World Cup this year

I rest my case.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The key in sports sponsorship is to cast your net far and wide and also think outside the box.

There are some brilliant companies out there looking to spend money in the UK (One of my wifes biggest clients is in Belarus) and they are a multi billion euro global company who have advertised at rugby union/football and cricket.

Despite all the doom and gloom on this forum RL still has a lot going for it to name a few things.

* World Cup this year

I rest my case.

Get that game on in Portsmouth and we can all retire.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

This week’s Chasing Kangaroos Podcast (guest Phil Caplan) is about the potential NRL involvement with SL, it’s a decent listen. 

According to Martyn Sadler in LE this idea has got no legs whatsoever. There is no priority within the NRL to pursue a share in SL, especially given their own desperate financial state at present.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, iffleyox said:

So, the risk at this point in the brand cycle (which is totally worth taking and the only way to move forward if you're Gallagher), is that anyone in the UK who does know them is going to think 'well they only sponsor one of our leagues, so they can't be that big, but they're the Australian shirt sponsor, so they're big over there, but Australia is small, so Gallagher must be at about the level of sponsoring Australia but not at the national team level elsewhere.

Maybe I have over estimated the profile of union in you country, it`s totally based on what I pick up on these pages. Threads like " RU. Disproportionate Media Coverage" on the Cross Code forum or the domination of Touch/Tag by union don`t help. But it feeds into my perception that League is unions poor cousin in GB. So when our national team gets the same sponsor as your premier union competition I think `that`s got to be a good thing`. And you blokes should be pleased about it. Perceptions wise, it puts us on a level footing. And at the end of the day it is all about perceptions. O.k. you say that not a lot of people will see it, but some will, and some of those will put two and two together.

4 hours ago, iffleyox said:

In addition, as has been pointed out by others, the fact that Gallagher is written on the front of a shirt in a tournament that most people (let's be honest) aren't going to watch means that  the actual risk outlined above of Gallagher coming off as small-time is pretty well non-existent.

I think that perhaps there is a little too much realism there and not enough enthusiasm. We shouldn`t be weighing up if there is a risk of Gallagher looking small time in any way, shape or form just because they choose to sponsor the national team of a small southern hemisphere nation. Unless of course their sponsorship of English union is paltry and meaningless as well.

When I see Vodaphone on the Fijian jumper, I think two things, great for Fijian RL and they must be a pretty big company to have such reach and be prepared to spend money in a lot of places, I certainly don`t think how small time they are. Maybe people will think the same thing about Gallagher. Vodaphone obviously think there is a lot of growth potential for RL in Fiji, and they want their brand to be associated with it.

5 hours ago, iffleyox said:

What it isn't is the spearhead that will make literally anyone change their opinion of RL or Gallagher (positive or negative to be fair).

It has to be a positive, maybe not a Visa or McDonalds earthshattering positive, but a step in the right direction positive even just because it`s not going backwards and not standing still either but progress.

Any way I enjoyed your post it is great to have people with experience in different fields contribute because that is how we learn.

16 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Maybe I have over estimated the profile of union in you country, it`s totally based on what I pick up on these pages. Threads like " RU. Disproportionate Media Coverage" on the Cross Code forum or the domination of Touch/Tag by union don`t help. But it feeds into my perception that League is unions poor cousin in GB. .

Just on this point, you're right in your perception that League is Union's poor cousin (in terms of how people think about it, insofar as anyone does), but what I think you're missing is that both codes are so far into football's shadow in the sporting landscape that they need the floodlights on 24/7 to be seen. 

Union has a lot of influential fans, and the 6 Nations is massively important because, like Wimbledon, it's one time in the year when RU breaks into the popular consciousness. But the RU premiership is 12 teams, so that's 6 matches a week that get any sort of gate you can really measure, and they only play in small grounds (relatively). Below that most matches at level 2 (another 6 per week) get 1000 or so fans, then at level 3 (8 per week) a bit less....

We're the outliers on here because we're interested in rugby. Unless you live in a big RL town, or Gloucester (maybe Exeter now) watching either code is a niche pursuit. Neither is remotely comparable to NRL.

32 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

Just on this point, you're right in your perception that League is Union's poor cousin (in terms of how people think about it, insofar as anyone does), but what I think you're missing is that both codes are so far into football's shadow in the sporting landscape that they need the floodlights on 24/7 to be seen. 

Union has a lot of influential fans, and the 6 Nations is massively important because, like Wimbledon, it's one time in the year when RU breaks into the popular consciousness. But the RU premiership is 12 teams, so that's 6 matches a week that get any sort of gate you can really measure, and they only play in small grounds (relatively). Below that most matches at level 2 (another 6 per week) get 1000 or so fans, then at level 3 (8 per week) a bit less....

We're the outliers on here because we're interested in rugby. Unless you live in a big RL town, or Gloucester (maybe Exeter now) watching either code is a niche pursuit. Neither is remotely comparable to NRL.

yep, plus your second paragraph hits the nail... my wife has no idea what's happening in tennis or RU through the year but is well aware and watches both Wimbledon and 6 nations... (whilst being a RL fan).   I am sure that's she is not dissimilar to the wider sporting public.

We did have the Challenge Cup which I think use to break into the sporting publics consciousness.  It still does to a lesser degree.   

The Grand Final whilst the pinnacle to us has no cut through across my wider circle.  The magic weekend has even less to non existent awareness.

The Challenge Cup seems to me to be the one in the short term to continue and to improve its break through into the wide sporting consciousness.  That's the one with our limited investment resource we need to focus more attention to reach a wider audience of the sports awareness and distinctiveness.

Yes internationals would do it, if regular calendar spot but that's wishful thinking.

37 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

This is very much worth saying. In other countries, there are usually several sports that have turns in the spotlight even if football is the biggest, and there are a small number where there's several sports that aren't football. Here, there is football. And then just behind football there is some more football. And following that there are further varieties of football.

England RU had to get to a final last year to outdraw the women's football team on terrestrial TV. The cricket team won the most exciting World Cup final in history with less than 8m watching.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 15/12/2020 at 15:57, iffleyox said:

Ok, I can do the negative then (I used to do brand consultancy for a living). It definitely does, but in England no one really knows about rugby league here, let alone in Australia. Virtually no one outside the fans of the clubs involved could tell you who sponsors the RU premiership, and I would expect Gallagher (genuinely) to have no name recognition beyond the same people - and even a lot of them probably couldn't tell you.

You're really overthinking this.

There is a blunt hierarchy, you want to sponsor a nation, a top club, then a league, then another team in order of preference.

So, inasmuch as anyone will care, what you've got here is Gallagher written on a nation's shirt turning up in a country where they only sponsor a league.

Genuine reaction of person in the street, in order of likelihood:

- there's two sorts of rugby?  

there's an RL world cup?

- they play RL in Australia?

- those green shirts with Gallagher written on them are Australia? I thought they played in yellow?

- Gallagher? Never heard of them, must be Australian, probably a brewery like Fosters.

I don’t think some Aussies grasp this. The game was born here yes, but unless you actively go looking for it you generally won’t notice it. Here’s the BBC in December 2017 just days before the last RLWC final between Aus and England,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42191891/rugby-league-world-cup-the-final-hardly-anyone-seems-to-be-talking-about

Rugby League World Cup: The final hardly anyone seems to be talking about

England play in a World Cup final in Australia against the hosts on Saturday.

But look at your social feed or the front pages of news websites and you've probably not seen much about it.

And a quote from an amateur RL coach: “we're in the final of a World Cup. First time in more than 30 years and there's no coverage anywhere.”

This is why I’m loathe to give the NRL much praise and bash the RFL, they are operating in two completely different sporting landscapes. The NRL setting up and funding a club in Melbourne is a piece of p### in comparison to the RFL doing a similar job with London. NRL are pushing a wide open door, RFL are pushing the front door of Fort Knox.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

This is very much worth saying. In other countries, there are usually several sports that have turns in the spotlight even if football is the biggest, and there are a small number where there's several sports that aren't football. Here, there is football. And then just behind football there is some more football. And following that there are further varieties of football.

England RU had to get to a final last year to outdraw the women's football team on terrestrial TV. The cricket team won the most exciting World Cup final in history with less than 8m watching.

Ball park figure, I’d say football takes up about 75% of general sports news content. Sky Sports News for instance, in a one hour show you could go about two thirds the way through before another sport is mentioned (unless of course something big has just happened in another sport (especially if Sky have the rights to it), or it’s a quiet day in football). General rugby news (both codes) like new signings etc. just don’t get covered. You have to read your rugby magazines, click on the rugby section of a website (which may cover it, though it’s minimal) or listen to rugby podcasts for that. A Justin Holbrook leaving St Helens for instance, that’s making zero waves outside RL circles.

On 15/12/2020 at 15:57, iffleyox said:

- they play RL in Australia?

- those green shirts with Gallagher written on them are Australia? I thought they played in yellow?

The Jillaroos will be playing in gold with 2 green chevrons since the ARL made the smart move before the 2013 WC to give them a distinct identity by reversing the colours. Having both the Jillaroos and Kiwi Ferns simultaneously in the country next year could alert parts of the British public to the existence of RL who wouldn`t be reached by the men`s game. 

As much as possible should be done pre-tournament to publicize that these are the top two women`s RL sides in the world. And some of the most impressive female athletes in any sport. That will be apparent after the final, but by then it will be too late to maximise the value of their presence here.

On 15/12/2020 at 16:01, gingerjon said:

Also, "That can't be Australia, it's green. Must be South Africa."

Nothing annoys me more than the low recognition there is for what really should be the most iconic Australian shirt.

Aesthetically I`ve never cared for the Kangaroos` jersey, but it`s uncomfortably recognisable.

5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

* World Cup this year

I rest my case.

It appears to me that Rugby League is are not very Avant Garde when it comes to getting sponsorship from the big brands

52 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

It appears to me that Rugby League is are not very Avant Garde when it comes to getting sponsorship from the big brands

that's not totally true - Gillette are a global name, so that's a genuinely big tick, at least comparable with the sponsors of the other handling code. How much they are/were paying for the privilege is another question, but no quibbles from me on their involvement.

We've also got the problem I alluded to earlier of people not being able to see outside their own country - Dacia are not a global player, but they're a significant European one (despite lack of brand recognition in the UK until the last couple of years). Very good to have them on board too.

11 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

that's not totally true - Gillette are a global name, so that's a genuinely big tick, at least comparable with the sponsors of the other handling code. How much they are/were paying for the privilege is another question, but no quibbles from me on their involvement.

We've also got the problem I alluded to earlier of people not being able to see outside their own country - Dacia are not a global player, but they're a significant European one (despite lack of brand recognition in the UK until the last couple of years). Very good to have them on board too.

I agree (The first 3 years was fab) until P and G bought the brand it went down from £500K a year (Merci 4 Nations) to literally a few grand.

And the great thing about it was that Gillette were leveraging the sponsorship for an equal amount .

Its all well and good a sponsor paying  XYZ however unless they are willing to spend an equal amount on leverage its pointless.

14 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Maybe I have over estimated the profile of union in you country, it`s totally based on what I pick up on these pages. Threads like " RU. Disproportionate Media Coverage" on the Cross Code forum or the domination of Touch/Tag by union don`t help. But it feeds into my perception that League is unions poor cousin in GB. So when our national team gets the same sponsor as your premier union competition I think `that`s got to be a good thing`. And you blokes should be pleased about it. Perceptions wise, it puts us on a level footing. And at the end of the day it is all about perceptions. O.k. you say that not a lot of people will see it, but some will, and some of those will put two and two together.

I think that perhaps there is a little too much realism there and not enough enthusiasm. We shouldn`t be weighing up if there is a risk of Gallagher looking small time in any way, shape or form just because they choose to sponsor the national team of a small southern hemisphere nation. Unless of course their sponsorship of English union is paltry and meaningless as well.

When I see Vodaphone on the Fijian jumper, I think two things, great for Fijian RL and they must be a pretty big company to have such reach and be prepared to spend money in a lot of places, I certainly don`t think how small time they are. Maybe people will think the same thing about Gallagher. Vodaphone obviously think there is a lot of growth potential for RL in Fiji, and they want their brand to be associated with it.

It has to be a positive, maybe not a Visa or McDonalds earthshattering positive, but a step in the right direction positive even just because it`s not going backwards and not standing still either but progress.

Any way I enjoyed your post it is great to have people with experience in different fields contribute because that is how we learn.

Honestly I think you severely overestimate the significance that Australia holds in the world and in the UK. Europe doesn’t really care about Australia. If we think of Australia, it’s the hot country far away with nice beaches and dangerous animals. That’s it!

For some reason, a lot of Aussies seem to think they’re some sort of mini America that holds the same significance as America 

18 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

According to Martyn Sadler in LE this idea has got no legs whatsoever. There is no priority within the NRL to pursue a share in SL, especially given their own desperate financial state at present.

I'd be interested in this aspect.

3 hours ago, bennyboy said:

Honestly I think you severely overestimate the significance that Australia holds in the world and in the UK. Europe doesn’t really care about Australia. If we think of Australia, it’s the hot country far away with nice beaches and dangerous animals. That’s it!

For some reason, a lot of Aussies seem to think they’re some sort of mini America that holds the same significance as America 

In the late 80s Australia gained some niche cool among English teenagers because of Neighbours and Home & Away, but other than that yeah it’s pretty insignificant other than the sporting rivalry. 

18 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

It's good to know that Peter V'landys and Martyn Saddler are in contact, so Martyn can squash any rumours coming out of Australia about Rugby League after speaking or exchanging messages with Peter V'landys. 

22 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

It's good to know that Peter V'landys and Martyn Saddler are in contact, so Martyn can squash any rumours coming out of Australia about Rugby League after speaking or exchanging messages with Peter V'landys. 

I think you will find that this idea is coming from others in OZ (As an idea rather than the powers to be) Shane Richardson I am hearing.

On 16/12/2020 at 19:34, iffleyox said:

Tier one global sporting event - there's basically 2, the football world cup and the Olympics.

I really miss the days in Australia when the soccer World Cup was on and only soccer fans knew about it..

57 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

You read the article then?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived