Jump to content

London Broncos Moving Update


Recommended Posts


7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The year we made it to Wembley after the greatest Challenge Cup Semi Final of all time our average attendance went down.

96-98 was our best SL 'run' though (relatively) so attendances climbed for that reason, the 99 season kept higher because of the CC run only.... 2000 was an awful SL and CC year... That's why attendances dropped 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

So when do we find out about the move...

By the looks of things when the AFC Wimbledon media studies placement kid finishes his tea and updates the website. 

  • Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

By the looks of things when the AFC Wimbledon media studies placement kid finishes his tea and updates the website. 

Nah, if the Broncos run to form it'll be 3 weeks after the first game there.

(edited for clarity)

Edited by Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Nah, if the Broncos run to form it'll be 3 weeks after the first game there.

(edited for clarity)

I was going to suggest when our opponent for our first home match provides directions to the ground for their supporters but we're both thinking more or less the same thing, really.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I was going to suggest when our opponent for our first home match provides directions to the ground for their supporters but we're both thinking more or less the same thing, really.

God that sounds scandalous. Disgraceful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I was going to suggest when our opponent for our first home match provides directions to the ground for their supporters but we're both thinking more or less the same thing, really.

First home game wont have any supporters

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surely the prime criterion should be "do the fans want it."   Ealing is not all that accessible from mainline termini from the north.  Neither was The Stoop and neither is Wimbledon.  Not sure if this should be a consideration.  But from the point of view of crowds it ought to be.  I went to Ealing in 2017. I'd say a substantial number of the fans were Fev fans, who'd either travelled by train like me, or come on a supporters' bus.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Surely the prime criterion should be "do the fans want it."   Ealing is not all that accessible from mainline termini from the north.  Neither was The Stoop and neither is Wimbledon.  Not sure if this should be a consideration.  But from the point of view of crowds it ought to be.  I went to Ealing in 2017. I'd say a substantial number of the fans were Fev fans, who'd either travelled by train like me, or come on a supporters' bus.

Do you mean home or away fans? For home fans, anything near a tube or overground station is probably the most desirable aspect over a mainline station.

I'd certainly go more games if it wasn't a near two hour each way journey across bus, train, tube, train and bus for me. But for some people it's probably really convenient. 

It's occurred to me before that for an extra hour and a half I could get back home for a Widnes game, cost forgiving. 

Edited by DI Keith Fowler
  • Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

As much as I understand the reasoning behind Wimbledon I actually liked Ealing nice bars great VIP facility for the level the Broncos were at it was perfect.

 

Paul

I couldn’t agree more. Attendances were higher at Ealing than Barnet ( despite the Hive having more seating 😁) and yet we never ever had a sell out crowd at Ealing.

There are obviously other considerations that are not being openly discussed by the RFL or they club in my opinion. 
 

Will the attraction of the new venue only last a season or two and so we will be looking to move again in the future? History suggests the answer to that question is yes.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

I couldn’t agree more. Attendances were higher at Ealing than Barnet ( despite the Hive having more seating 😁) and yet we never ever had a sell out crowd at Ealing.

There are obviously other considerations that are not being openly discussed by the RFL or they club in my opinion. 
 

Will the attraction of the new venue only last a season or two and so we will be looking to move again in the future? History suggests the answer to that question is yes.

.

Thanks WLF for me nowadays its all about the match day crack and with the Broncos Ealing is perfect for crowds of 800/1000 (Rather like the days of friendly London RU clubs way back) I also like Richmond (Rugby is ######) but the club is really nice same goes for London Scottish.What I fear most is sitting in a soulless atmosphere surrounding by 8000 empty seats NO THANKS.

 

Paul

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Thanks WLF for me nowadays its all about the match day crack and with the Broncos Ealing is perfect for crowds of 800/1000 (Rather like the days of friendly London RU clubs way back) I also like Richmond (Rugby is ######) but the club is really nice same goes for London Scottish.What I fear most is sitting in a soulless atmosphere surrounding by 8000 empty seats NO THANKS.

 

Paul

and not a decent beer or ale in sight

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/01/2021 at 16:50, DI Keith Fowler said:

Do you mean home or away fans? For home fans, anything near a tube or overground station is probably the most desirable aspect over a mainline station.

I'd certainly go more games if it wasn't a near two hour each way journey across bus, train, tube, train and bus for me. But for some people it's probably really convenient. 

It's occurred to me before that for an extra hour and a half I could get back home for a Widnes game, cost forgiving. 

I meant access from the North of England, after all that is where most away supporters are going to come from.  Getting to Trailfinders  from Kings Cross involves an underground change and then a bus ride.  Probably similar for Wimbledon.  Of course if London were generating huge home crowds, it wouldn't really matter, but they're not..    The DW Stadium is not exactly handy for fans from Yorkshire, but Wigan aren't particularly dependent upon away fans.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I meant access from the North of England, after all that is where most away supporters are going to come from.  Getting to Trailfinders  from Kings Cross involves an underground change and then a bus ride.  Probably similar for Wimbledon.  Of course if London were generating huge home crowds, it wouldn't really matter, but they're not..    The DW Stadium is not exactly handy for fans from Yorkshire, but Wigan aren't particularly dependent upon away fans.

Wimbledon will bluntly be a pain in the neck for you guys up norff:(

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/01/2021 at 11:17, ATLANTISMAN said:

Thanks WLF for me nowadays its all about the match day crack and with the Broncos Ealing is perfect for crowds of 800/1000 (Rather like the days of friendly London RU clubs way back) I also like Richmond (Rugby is ######) but the club is really nice same goes for London Scottish.What I fear most is sitting in a soulless atmosphere surrounding by 8000 empty seats NO THANKS.

 

Paul

Yep, guess it is more like old friendly London RU clubs.

I always enjoyed the visits to Trailfinders -  although it always seemed to be warm weather and hence good walking around, enjoying a drink from the large bar facility, plus the clubhouse was lively after the game, the BBQ food facilities all added to a good day out.

The crowd was always seemed a reasonable size, only issue looking ahead I guess was the end with the scoreboard, I guess if that had a stand/terrace it would be quite a "cute" crowd for a lower level team.

I guess if aspirations if being in higher league the current ground may be an issue but for the current level its seems good to me as an away traveller.

We always drove but on the away travel train/bus others have brought up, don't most fans either come on club coaches or drive - although parking is an issue if you can't park in the ground - but then I guess in London that will always be an issue..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/01/2021 at 10:44, westlondonfan said:

I couldn’t agree more. Attendances were higher at Ealing than Barnet ( despite the Hive having more seating 😁) and yet we never ever had a sell out crowd at Ealing.

There are obviously other considerations that are not being openly discussed by the RFL or they club in my opinion. 
 

Will the attraction of the new venue only last a season or two and so we will be looking to move again in the future? History suggests the answer to that question is yes.

.

Of course attendances were higher at Ealing than Barnet - do you not recall the squad we had that year? Winning 1 game? It was hardly making people want to watch us get beat by 50 points a week.

If I heard a game was almost selling out at Trailfinders - i would decide not to attend the game. The ground is great for 800 / 1000 people max. I've been there for bigger games when the ground was pretty full, and it was an awful experience, even with being able to sit in the ST seats. 

It may be great in the VIP area, but the rest of the ground is god awful.

If the Broncos want to be a semi-professional club and stick around the Championship/L1 for the rest of our lives, then staying at Ealing would be perfect for that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Click said:

If the Broncos want to be a semi-professional club and stick around the Championship/L1 for the rest of our lives, then staying at Ealing would be perfect for that.

And that's the crux of it for me. If that is what London Broncos want, and that is fine for Rugby League in itself, then so be it. However if RL wants a top flight Super League club then it will require someone else to take up the mantle.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The key question is “what is the Broncos role in the game, and what do they want to be?”. If the answer is to be a solid, stable, competitive Championship team, who acts as the catalyst for junior development in their area, resulting in good numbers of local guys getting their start in pro league, before the better ones move away to bigger careers in SL or the NRL, then why move as the facilities are perfect for that set up. If on the other hand the aim is to be a competitive SL outfit, then I’m not sure how that can happen without a move, which in itself may end up being more damaging to the club.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the back of my last post, I have a serious question for Broncos fans, who actually go to games. If the Broncos were happy to stay as a stable, solid Championship team, winning most weeks and finishing in the top 3-4, but never ever looking like they were going to go any further, but at the same time providing you with entertainment and the chance to see the start of some great careers, then would you be happy with that and still go, or would the limited ambition put you off? Yes I know you could ask that of the fans of any top Championship team but honestly I can only currently see the Broncos, and the Bulls, who both find themselves in the position where to get to SL is going to require a ground move, but that move in itself may do more harm than good. So maybe a question for Bulls fans too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...