Strangest thing you've ever eaten

Just now, Jeff Stein said:

I had no idea you could still get crispy pancakes.

Back in the day for Saturday lunch I used to have fried eggs on baked beans on pizza on crispy pancakes on fish fingers on potato waffles. It remains a mystery how I ended up with diabetes

Not enough layers. That's where you went wrong.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, redjonn said:

yep for sure....

I had a stroke couple years back and upon coming home from hospital and feeling a bit  in need of something to cheer up me taste buds, so to speak... I had a desire for Birds Eye fish fingers not having had any since being a little un... don't ask me why but that's what came out when the missus asked...

It was just something my mind told me would be just the ticket... had this image of nice think plump fingers of tasty fish in a thin covering of breadcrumbs...  never been so disappointment with the little thin fingers, no more than breadcrumbs with the thinnest slice of fish possible.

yep reality can sometimes never match the dream/desire

I still have a fish finger sandwich, but like you say, they ain't wot they used t'be.

Fish fingers are tasteless I now find............. but I still have them now and again as it's easy quick & filling to put a pack of them into a couple of butties when I've missed breakfast and it's gone dinnertime.

22 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I still have a fish finger sandwich, but like you say, they ain't wot they used t'be.

Fish fingers are tasteless I now find............. but I still have them now and again as it's easy quick & filling to put a pack of them into a couple of butties when I've missed breakfast and it's gone dinnertime.

There are some non-Bird's Eye chunky fish fingers (supermarket own brand) that are more satisfying, but you still need to be generous with the butter and red/brown sauce, so there's some comforting drippage* from the sandwich to go with the fish flavour.

*that's what you scoop up with the crusts.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

26 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There are some non-Bird's Eye chunky fish fingers (supermarket own brand) that are more satisfying, but you still need to be generous with the butter and red/brown sauce, so there's some comforting drippage* from the sandwich to go with the fish flavour.

*that's what you scoop up with the crusts.

you've piqued my interest, I have always had red sauce on a fish finger buttie.  Fish fingers and HP is a whole new food groupage. I will report back soonest.............

Remembered a few more in the odd eat meat category - reindeer & elk, and bear (wild shot in Russia).

I've eaten tar in Finland many times. (They make it by burning pine and then extracting the burnt sap). Tastes exactly like you'd expect if you'd ever smelled tar being used to make roads. Used as a flavouring for meat, ice cream, sweets etc.

9 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

you've piqued my interest, I have always had red sauce on a fish finger buttie.  Fish fingers and HP is a whole new food groupage. I will report back soonest.............

Not tried brown sauce on fish fingers myself, to be honest.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, JonM said:

Remembered a few more in the odd eat meat category - reindeer & elk, and bear (wild shot in Russia).

I've eaten tar in Finland many times. (They make it by burning pine and then extracting the burnt sap). Tastes exactly like you'd expect if you'd ever smelled tar being used to make roads. Used as a flavouring for meat, ice cream, sweets etc.

The Finns also like salmiakki, which is liquorice flavoured with ammonium salt. In my experience, it tends to be stronger than zout, the Dutch equivalent. I prefer the latter, personally.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The Finns also like salmiakki, which is liquorice flavoured with ammonium salt. In my experience, it tends to be stronger than zout, the Dutch equivalent. I prefer the latter, personally.

Yes - vile stuff. There is a similar sweet called Turkish pepper which is like stronger tasting salmiakki but with added chilli and sugar.

16 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I did go through a phase of putting salad cream on bacon sandwiches, but I've not done that for years. I recall it really worked at the time, but have since gone more conventional.

After one of the Cod wars of the 1970s, Hull trawler fleet tried introducing some different types of fish to replace cod and haddock, whale meat didn't work for some reason ! Plus what they described as shark (can't say which type) was equally vile.

In France, horse meat, snails (with/without garlic) and frogs legs.

Plus stork (and I don't mean the spread) but can't remember which country.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Escargots are basically just a delivery vehicle for a garlic butter overdose.

Nothing wrong with that, of course.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Mulukhiyah

the only thing my Mother in law has cooked that I couldn’t stomach 

it looks and smells like a boiled cowpat with lumps of meat floating in it

91F169E6-1A3A-4DD9-A731-C97610AE839F.jpeg

Just looked that up, and it did not sound appetising. Slimy food in general, like natto, are a bit of a turn-off.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Crocodile

Black bear

Elk

jelly fish

bison

deer

duck

pigeon 

Emu

Python

Cobra meat

cobra blood in whisky 

Fruit bat

Some type of jungle frog

Water buffalo

Horse

Sheep brains

Baby eels

heart (I think it was beef heart)

goat

Kangaroo

Wallaby

durian (the only non-animal on the list ... i've eaten it many times)

I'm certain i've missed a few things.

I'm the sort of person to blame for covid! 

7 hours ago, Copa said:

Elk

jelly fish

deer

duck

goat

Elk, yes in Canada, Jelly Fish in Japan, Deer in, well everywhere they serve Venison, Duck I have three great French recipes for Canard, but I cannot cook Goat Curry as good as my Jamaican (ex) Mum-in-Law.

Razor Clams, BBQ-ed straight off the beach at low tide in Hastings.

We went for a Mexican meal in Salisbury a month or so ago, one of the starters was a bowl of guacamole topped with four dried crickets.

there being four of us at the table we had one each.

tasted a bit like moth.

4 hours ago, Shadow said:

We went for a Mexican meal in Salisbury a month or so ago, one of the starters was a bowl of guacamole topped with four dried crickets.

tasted a bit like moth.

You know what moths tastes like?

( don’t say crickets ) 😏

5 hours ago, Shadow said:

tasted a bit like moth.

When did you eat moth ?

Archived