Jump to content

The Toulouse squad listed for 2021 is much too small.


Recommended Posts

https://www.to13.com/effectif-to-xiii/

Toulouse has a very strong starting squad.

However there are only 23 players listed in the squad! This is ridiculous. It is especially ridiculous for a club that aspires to win the Championsip in 2021 and to be promoted to Super League.

 

Remi Casty is a very good addition at prop. He is supported in that position by the very capable Mitch Garbutt, Joe Bretherton, Justin Sangare, Ben Evans, Maxime Puech and also Harrison Hansen. So they seem to have quality and lots of depth at prop.

At hooker they have Eloi Pelissier and Lloyd White, with utility forward Anthony Marion as cover for injury. That seems good.

In the second row they have quality in former St Helens Dominic Peyroux, Joseph Paulo and Andrew Dixon. But that is only three. Surely no cover for injuries. Unless they are planning to use Harrison Hansen, officially listed as a prop, in the second row.

But for lock/loose forward, they only have utility Anthony Marion with Joseph Paulo as an option. They surely need another specialist there. 

One other big question mark is in the halves, where they don't seem to have replaced the mercurial Stan Robin. The plan appears to be that Jonathan Ford will be partnered by Ben Reynolds. But no specialist back up for injuries, which are inevitable. Anthony Marion seems to be the only cover in that position. I don't know what has happened with William Barthau.

The first choice outside backs look good, with Mark Kheirallah at full back, Paul Marcon and Ilias Bergal on the wings, Bastien Ader, Junior Vaivai, and Jussaume Mathieu in the centres, but only Latrell Schaumkel as cover for the outside backs. This is totally inadequate.

So it seems to me that Toulouse must sign at least two more dedicated back rowers, another half,  and one extra winger

 

Their listed 23 players are clearly insufficient to complete a season. 27 would be a minimum. 28 would be safe.

Does anyone know if the club is still planning on signing more players? It is getting very late.

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To me this is the strongesst group they've put together by some distance. The Elite 1 comp finishes late June. There must be players there who could give them hand late on if necessary.

  • Like 4

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

https://www.to13.com/effectif-to-xiii/

Toulouse has a very strong starting squad.

However there are only 23 players listed in the squad! This is ridiculous. It is especially ridiculous for a club that aspires to win the Championsip in 2021 and to be promoted to Super League.

 

Remi Casty is a very good addition at prop. He is supported in that position by the very capable Mitch Garbutt, Joe Bretherton, Justin Sangare, Ben Evans, Maxime Puech and also Harrison Hansen. So they seem to have quality and lots of depth at prop.

At hooker they have Eloi Pelissier and Lloyd White, with utility forward Anthony Marion as cover for injury. That seems good.

In the second row they have quality in former St Helens Dominic Peyroux, Joseph Paulo and Andrew Dixon. But that is only three. Surely no cover for injuries. Unless they are planning to use Harrison Hansen, officially listed as a prop, in the second row.

But for lock/loose forward, they only have utility Anthony Marion with Joseph Paulo as an option. They surely need another specialist there. 

One other big question mark is in the halves, where they don't seem to have replaced the mercurial Stan Robin. The plan appears to be that Jonathan Ford will be partnered by Ben Reynolds. But no specialist back up for injuries, which are inevitable. Anthony Marion seems to be the only cover in that position. I don't know what has happened with William Barthau.

The first choice outside backs look good, with Mark Kheirallah at full back, Paul Marcon and Ilias Bergal on the wings, Bastien Ader, Junior Vaivai, and Jussaume Mathieu in the centres, but only Latrell Schaumkel as cover for the outside backs. This is totally inadequate.

So it seems to me that Toulouse must sign at least two more dedicated back rowers, another half,  and one extra winger

 

Their listed 23 players are clearly insufficient to complete a season. 27 would be a minimum. 28 would be safe.

Does anyone know if the club is still planning on signing more players? It is getting very late.

Yeah,if only they had a reserve team currently playing in an improving competitive league to boost player numbers from.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

https://www.to13.com/effectif-to-xiii/

Toulouse has a very strong starting squad.

However there are only 23 players listed in the squad! This is ridiculous. It is especially ridiculous for a club that aspires to win the Championsip in 2021 and to be promoted to Super League.

 

Remi Casty is a very good addition at prop. He is supported in that position by the very capable Mitch Garbutt, Joe Bretherton, Justin Sangare, Ben Evans, Maxime Puech and also Harrison Hansen. So they seem to have quality and lots of depth at prop.

At hooker they have Eloi Pelissier and Lloyd White, with utility forward Anthony Marion as cover for injury. That seems good.

In the second row they have quality in former St Helens Dominic Peyroux, Joseph Paulo and Andrew Dixon. But that is only three. Surely no cover for injuries. Unless they are planning to use Harrison Hansen, officially listed as a prop, in the second row.

But for lock/loose forward, they only have utility Anthony Marion with Joseph Paulo as an option. They surely need another specialist there. 

One other big question mark is in the halves, where they don't seem to have replaced the mercurial Stan Robin. The plan appears to be that Jonathan Ford will be partnered by Ben Reynolds. But no specialist back up for injuries, which are inevitable. Anthony Marion seems to be the only cover in that position. I don't know what has happened with William Barthau.

The first choice outside backs look good, with Mark Kheirallah at full back, Paul Marcon and Ilias Bergal on the wings, Bastien Ader, Junior Vaivai, and Jussaume Mathieu in the centres, but only Latrell Schaumkel as cover for the outside backs. This is totally inadequate.

So it seems to me that Toulouse must sign at least two more dedicated back rowers, another half,  and one extra winger

 

Their listed 23 players are clearly insufficient to complete a season. 27 would be a minimum. 28 would be safe.

Does anyone know if the club is still planning on signing more players? It is getting very late.

TO still have the covid issue to deal with which could prove very costly for them.  I think running light at this stage could be a smart move.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

https://www.to13.com/effectif-to-xiii/

Toulouse has a very strong starting squad.

However there are only 23 players listed in the squad! This is ridiculous. It is especially ridiculous for a club that aspires to win the Championsip in 2021 and to be promoted to Super League.

 

Remi Casty is a very good addition at prop. He is supported in that position by the very capable Mitch Garbutt, Joe Bretherton, Justin Sangare, Ben Evans, Maxime Puech and also Harrison Hansen. So they seem to have quality and lots of depth at prop.

At hooker they have Eloi Pelissier and Lloyd White, with utility forward Anthony Marion as cover for injury. That seems good.

In the second row they have quality in former St Helens Dominic Peyroux, Joseph Paulo and Andrew Dixon. But that is only three. Surely no cover for injuries. Unless they are planning to use Harrison Hansen, officially listed as a prop, in the second row.

But for lock/loose forward, they only have utility Anthony Marion with Joseph Paulo as an option. They surely need another specialist there. 

One other big question mark is in the halves, where they don't seem to have replaced the mercurial Stan Robin. The plan appears to be that Jonathan Ford will be partnered by Ben Reynolds. But no specialist back up for injuries, which are inevitable. Anthony Marion seems to be the only cover in that position. I don't know what has happened with William Barthau.

The first choice outside backs look good, with Mark Kheirallah at full back, Paul Marcon and Ilias Bergal on the wings, Bastien Ader, Junior Vaivai, and Jussaume Mathieu in the centres, but only Latrell Schaumkel as cover for the outside backs. This is totally inadequate.

So it seems to me that Toulouse must sign at least two more dedicated back rowers, another half,  and one extra winger

 

Their listed 23 players are clearly insufficient to complete a season. 27 would be a minimum. 28 would be safe.

Does anyone know if the club is still planning on signing more players? It is getting very late.

Hopefully not!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they also have a dual reg agreement with Catalan Dragons. But I agree with the original poster, 2 half backs and 3 second rowers in a squad challenging for promotion is a bit light. Yes, they could cover injuries and suspensions with players from Catalan Dragons and their reserve side but what quality will the players be? 

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah,if only they had a reserve team currently playing in an improving competitive league to boost player numbers from.

Thats a real positive. They are in a much stronger position, when it come to squad players getting competitive games, than any other Championship or SL club due to that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Damien said:

Thats a real positive. They are in a much stronger position, when it come to squad players getting competitive games, than any other Championship or SL club due to that.

That and the fact there are some good players at other Elite 1 clubs who could slot right in at Championship level which makes the OP a strange statement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, Toulouse Olympique gave twenty-four players squad numbers for the start of the 2019 and 2020 seasons, so they’re running at one fewer at this time with a reserve team playing to the summer and, seemingly, the ability to attract players from Super League. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

, so they’re running at one fewer at this time with a reserve team playing to the summer and, seemingly, the ability to attract players from Super League. 

Given the opportunity to earn my living in say Wigan..... or Toulouse... I'd be off to South West France in an instance. 🇫🇷

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Covid is presenting a real nightmare for Toulouse and the RFL till May 17th

Did Covid influence the decision to omit Toulouse from being selected to perform in SL this season in preference to an English based club? 

A club was being selected to bring the numbers back up to 12 clubs in SL, the problem will still be there if it effects Catalan, it would have been doubled if Covid prevented 2 clubs from France fullfilling the fixture list.

Not for any other reason than a personal one, I would have preferred Toulouse had got the nod to be 'promoted' I think that the Championship is going to be one hell of a comp this season and also that my club is not ready or equipped with the right squad to compete in SL even with the bottom clubs, but I would love to be proven wrong, as far as I'm concerned an 11th place finish would equate to winning the GF for me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I think they also have a dual reg agreement with Catalan Dragons. But I agree with the original poster, 2 half backs and 3 second rowers in a squad challenging for promotion is a bit light. Yes, they could cover injuries and suspensions with players from Catalan Dragons and their reserve side but what quality will the players be? 

It’s a long season, maybe they are holding back some of their budget to make mid season signings 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Did Covid influence the decision to omit Toulouse from being selected to perform in SL this season in preference to an English based club? 

A club was being selected to bring the numbers back up to 12 clubs in SL, the problem will still be there if it effects Catalan, it would have been doubled if Covid prevented 2 clubs from France fullfilling the fixture list.

Not for any other reason than a personal one, I would have preferred Toulouse had got the nod to be 'promoted' I think that the Championship is going to be one hell of a comp this season and also that my club is not ready or equipped with the right squad to compete in SL even with the bottom clubs, but I would love to be proven wrong, as far as I'm concerned an 11th place finish would equate to winning the GF for me.

 

I don't think it will have been front and centre (I think DB's "we'll play for free" tweet and the prospect of a thousand Leigh away fans were more important). If anything from an RFL perspective it makes sense to have the foreign teams in the fully pro league.

That said, it would have been a bit harsh too to say to Toulouse "oh yeah so you're going to get half funding and we're potentially going to ask you to base yourself in the UK for a portion of the season - maybe indefinitely". From that sense Toulouse had to be done properly whereas we have seen with the English teams is was possible to half-###### it from a financial perspective.

I do feel sorry for you mate. Unless DB knows something we all don't about relegation this year it feels like you're being taken for a ride and a certain element of hubris has been used against your team. 11th would be an exceptional achievement.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I think they also have a dual reg agreement with Catalan Dragons. But I agree with the original poster, 2 half backs and 3 second rowers in a squad challenging for promotion is a bit light. Yes, they could cover injuries and suspensions with players from Catalan Dragons and their reserve side but what quality will the players be? 

There is no Dual Reg any more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...