SL standings will be based on percentages

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

An admission that the season won’t be finished then? Why not just scrap the loop fixtures now. 

I don’t see it as an admission that the season won’t be finished. Probably more of a plan for the worst but hope for the best. Also stops any arguments regarding any tough call being made halfway through with the teams being clear what may happen should the scenario arise.

3 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Better to make the call now rather than later, but it doesn't sit easily that a side may stay up on win percentage by virtue of playing fewer games than a relegation rival.

Or a team make the play-offs, for the same reason?

It's pragmatic decision - better than crying about a change of rules later in the year.

I think it's as much about Catalans than anything. I wonder if some of their early fixtures will be postponed, and this gives them cover if they can't be rescheduled. Effectively they can miss 7 games and still be playoff eligible. 

As for relegation, like the union premiership, I'd expect them to cancel relegation if teams near the bottom have missed a number of games - it would be a field day for the lawyers otherwise. But they won't announce that until much later in the season if it becomes an issue. 

38 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I think it's as much about Catalans than anything. I wonder if some of their early fixtures will be postponed, and this gives them cover if they can't be rescheduled. Effectively they can miss 7 games and still be playoff eligible. 

As for relegation, like the union premiership, I'd expect them to cancel relegation if teams near the bottom have missed a number of games - it would be a field day for the lawyers otherwise. But they won't announce that until much later in the season if it becomes an issue. 

Catalans travel plus everyone else just getting it. Leeds and other clubs have had to shut down during pre-season due to outbreaks.

Until July not every player will have been offered the vaccine.

Not sure about relegation, they've basically made it as hard as possible for Leigh to finish 11th as it is.

Now we see the wisdom of signing over-the-hill Aussies - they'll be so old they get the jab before the rest of the players! :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

in the championship 

Clubs will be required to have played 70% of their league fixtures (16 out of 22 in the Betfred Championship) to qualify for the play-offs. 

BUT!!!!!

The bottom two teams in the Betfred Championship will be relegated – irrespective of how many fixtures they have played.

30 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

And how is that fair for the Championship clubs ?

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Better to make the call now rather than later, but it doesn't sit easily that a side may stay up on win percentage by virtue of playing fewer games than a relegation rival.

There should not be relegation.

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

As opposed to voting to give them less tv money?

13 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Why did the top tier decide to have a top six play off instead of five ?. Myself id have preferred it to have remained a top five play off system. 

5 is A) a bit over complicated, and B) Points percentages don't really lend themselves to it as a play off method.

This is all dependent upon three factors

• The level of COVID transmission in the community especially once restrictions are eased. Remember League players are not in a bubble and once large(ish) crowds are allowed to gather this will be the acid test for normality in seeing if this leads to arise in infection rates
  • How well or badly COVID 19 is managed in France, which will affect Catalans directly.
  • If the RLWC goes ahead, If not as I suggested in another thread, you could use those dates to lengthen the season not only avoiding 3 games in 10 days but also to catch up on any postponed fixtures if required.

It's not all gloom and doom. The NFL stateside, where things are worse than here, managed to get through a season without either having to extend it or go to percentages.

Eventually once vaccination has rolled out in the UK people will have to live with COVID-19 and that includes Sports.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why not just scrap the loop fixtures now. 

Well the only loop fixtures are round 1 & 2 which have already been earmarked for blanket coverage from SKY TV. 

Yes the clubs could tell SKY to XXck off and even at this late stage force them to cancel the 12 TV games scheduled for the loop games of round 1 & 2. And while we're at it let's tell them what to do with their 'Rugby League only' channel for the loop games.

Then we can resume negotiations for a new deal from 2022.

What a farce. Any coach with half a brain will strategically avoid a few games and this would be of significant benefit to the final table. Plus it's a sure fire way of lessening the effects of a bad injury crisis. I bet there is at least one coach out there already planning to avoid at least a couple of fixtures.

Archived