Putting Leigh in SL is the biggest mistake RL ever made (Merged threads)

This is another Wide to West written all over it. Thousands of posts by over elusive expansionists with wrists the size of Popeye every time Leigh get stuffed !

Get this one saved Degsy and shove it up every one of their backsides !  Toulouse would obviously stuff Wigan, Warrington ,Cas etc.... and play in front of 45000 people every bloody home game etc...  blah blah !

Well done Leigh for sticking their necks out and give it a few more weeks, may be competitive enough to escape relegation !

It really is boring !

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just want to understand the logic for putting Leigh in SL coz I still don't understand.  Toulouse has just signed a 9 year deal with Stade Toulousain that not just allows them to play at the ic

Toulouse will hopefully get promoted on the back of a winning season which also helps selling tickets and corporates for their first season in the big time. I have no problem with Leigh being promoted

If I were at Toulouse, I wouldn't have been too anxious to get a free ticket into $uperleague for 2021. Too many obstacles to international travel at the moment, too much uncertainty, too little

Posted Images

1 minute ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Taking nothing away from the french element but the biggest draw against full houses is respective fixtures 

I assume you meant repeat and yeah I agree totally. We need to make big games special. Potentially the crowdless first half of the season will have cut away at some of that repeat fixture fatigue

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don’t think SL would miss Wakey at all, though of course that is a rubbish thing to say when considering their fans, who while limited in number are as passionate as any, and have to watch the game from a shed. 

I aways like the real Wakey fans - passionate and loud

There are some absolute b**** ends too. The sort who rip up seats at the ground then create a load of pointless aggro for a decent West London bar

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Catalans held a SL game there in Toulouse a few years ago. It got over 10,000 at Wallon. There is an appetite for top class sport in France. Like anywhere, there is less of an appetite for a game against Dewsbury (sorry just off the top of my head) in the lower leagues.

When did they play in Toulouse - nothing showing on google ??

22 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

may be competitive enough to escape relegation

Livin' the dream

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I assume you meant repeat and yeah I agree totally. We need to make big games special. Potentially the crowdless first half of the season will have cut away at some of that repeat fixture fatigue

Yes predictive text

13 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

When did they play in Toulouse - nothing showing on google ??

Here you go. That is a 19k stadium so pretty health crowd.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Eddie said:

You think Toulouse would sell out the Wallon for a league game against Catalans? 

Friday or Saturday night it would be at least 80% full,  mínimum. Thats over 15000 for a game of RL in France.  I think you might get a few from Carcassone who want to witness a bit of French RL history too. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Thats where a 14 SL comes in.  Loop fixtures gone but both French teams have a third game Magic weekend they take on the road. 

7 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I just want to understand the logic for putting Leigh in SL coz I still don't understand. 

Toulouse has just signed a 9 year deal with Stade Toulousain that not just allows them to play at the iconic ground but gives them a major presence at the complex. In addition to that they now have backing from the various local authorities which in France is significant. With the partnerships they have in place  I'm confident in saying that over the next few years Toulouse will quickly become one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

The commercial partnerships that Toulouse have are on a different scale to Leigh's and it gives the RL exposure to the 4th biggest city in France that has a population in the  metropolitan area of over 1.3 million, plus many more across the South West region. It would have increased the competition's presence in France and the number of professional players which allows the France national team to become more and more competitive and create a natural rival for England on its doorstep, that has so many commercial benefits in itself to UK RL. 

We were told over and over that they had an 'oven baked squad' ready to compete. If that's the case why are they now loaning a player from another SL club? On paper, their squad wasn't any better than Toulouse's and they finished below them in the league table in recent seasons.

Apparently the bids were assessed by an 'independent panel of experts' yet there has been no explanation into the reasoning behind the decision. 

To top it all off the majority of people in this country don't even know where Leigh is and thought that the parish of Leigh-on-Sea in Essex had entered a team into SL.

It was a terrible decision which says so much about the mindset of people running the sport here. It's several months on and I'm still disgusted 

Covid 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I don’t know where the 18,000 additional fans would come from, certainly not from Perpignan, but of course it would be great if I’m wrong and they did get 19k through the gate. 

The same place they emerge from when Wigan play Saints at home.  Not saying Toulouse are going to get that every game but I certainly think it becomes the game that Toulouse sports fans pencil in their diary every year. 

7 hours ago, Scubby said:

Toulouse will hopefully get promoted on the back of a winning season which also helps selling tickets and corporates for their first season in the big time. I have no problem with Leigh being promoted, they were willing to step up.

Once Toulouse and Catalans are both in SL however, there should be exemption from relegation for both clubs indefinitely. If you want to relegate a French club then you have to have another French club willing to take their place. We have just got to cut this #### out. The Championship is a penniless pit of teams that has survived on handouts and duel registration for years and years. It doesn't have enough organic vibrancy to have Anglo-French representation. We need to move on from this. 

Organic vibrancy 😂

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I can't quite remember the timeline but when was it announced that "Team 12" would receive less TV money? Before or after applications opened

Before. Teams knew the terms they were applying under.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Before. Teams knew the terms they were applying under.

Doesn't make it right though, sort of Hobdons choice. 

5 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Doesn't make it right though, sort of Hobdons choice. 

I never said it did and I have always said I don't agree with it. Teams did know what they were signing up for though, they didn't need to apply. It would have been interesting if all clubs had stuck together and refused to apply under the condition of less money.

• Like 3
Just now, Damien said:

I never said it did and I have always said I don't agree with it. Teams did know what they were signing up for though, they didn't need to apply. It would have been interesting if all clubs had stuck together and refused to apply under the condition of less money.

Fair point. 

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Less money or full money makes no difference if there's nobody to sign 

• Like 2

CALM DOWN EVERYONE.

It is well know on this forum that I am pro Toulouse and French Rugby League, however with the pandemic far from over putting Toulouse in SL this season would not have had the lift that any expansionist would have wanted.

Leigh was a sensible option and if they go down and Toulouse go up (Or anyone else thats life:)

Paul

• Like 1

There is going to be a lot of upset people when Fev replace Leigh at the end of this season and Leigh likely go back up the year after. Degsy might be a person who I hold in very low esteem but I don't think he is a total fool and would have planned that relegation would be likely this season and from the squad put together you would imagine they will make a healthy profit this year ready to build on the next couple of years.

Most SL teams are in such bad shape they are essentially bankrupt without the sky money, its such a shame the top league of such a great sport is such a mess but while the teams make the decisions all we will have is self preservation.

• Like 2

I don't agree it's the biggest mistake that SL ever made

For the likes of Salford and Wakefield it's the best possible decision as it lets them avoid relegation for another season. 

It looks like Featherstone could well be next seasons cannon fodder, probably replaced by Leigh again in 2023...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Thats where a 14 SL comes in.  Loop fixtures gone but both French teams have a third game Magic weekend they take on the road. 

Removing the loop fixtures should be core aim for the authorities because they fundamentally undermine the competion.

However, it difficult to justify 14 teams in terms of playing quality. Are there really enough players to populate more top grade teams ? The evidence would suggest that there is a competitive Top 8 and a competitive Next 8 [where an additional 2 teams could be added without completely compromising the divsion]

Which leaves a 18 team comp.

Top 8 play each other home and away + the Next 10 once

The Next 10 play each other home and away + the Top 8 once

Looping back to the subject of the topic ...

Leigh & Toulouse get to play in the Next 10 ... with teams & clubs of similar strength, building towards the Top 8 .. while also playing super meanigful league derby's and big games against the likes of Wigan / Saints etc and of course Catalan

5 minutes ago, JT RL said:

Removing the loop fixtures should be core aim for the authorities because they fundamentally undermine the competion.

However, it difficult to justify 14 teams in terms of playing quality. Are there really enough players to populate more top grade teams ? The evidence would suggest that there is a competitive Top 8 and a competitive Next 8 [where an additional 2 teams could be added without completely compromising the divsion]

Which leaves a 18 team comp.

Top 8 play each other home and away + the Next 10 once

The Next 10 play each other home and away + the Top 8 once

Looping back to the subject of the topic ...

Leigh & Toulouse get to play in the Next 10 ... with teams & clubs of similar strength, building towards the Top 8 .. while also playing super meanigful league derby's and big games against the likes of Wigan / Saints etc and of course Catalan

We arent there yet.  Long term I think a split works but for next 4-5 years 14 teams with 2 French Locked in is the way to go. 

Player base wise, plenty of players leave the sport because money isnt there.  Get a Newcastle and Toulouse in their and plenty of quality part time or other players who give it up can be added to player pool. 

12 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I don't agree it's the biggest mistake that SL ever made

For the likes of Salford and Wakefield it's the best possible decision as it lets them avoid relegation for another season. 

It looks like Featherstone could well be next seasons cannon fodder, probably replaced by Leigh again in 2023...

Nail on the head. Just to make sure let them in without the full funding as well. 🤣

• John Drake changed the title to Putting Leigh in SL is the biggest mistake RL ever made (Merged threads)