Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I have to say that in the annals of breakaway/rebel leagues this is looking like one of the most poorly executed.

Correct me later, but it seems they haven’t even got the players onside, let alone the fans, before embarking on this.

Like watching a Blackadder/Baldrick style cunning plan! 🤦🏻

They may feel they don’t need the players they have now just like they don’t need the fans they have now.

No idea. It’s a dog’s dinner so far.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oddly, no one ever said they were. I went to plenty of games with low level hooliganism - and some with a bit more than that - it's one of the reasons I'm not too misty-eyed about what the past w

Leeds United's response has been to change the clubs names on the fixture list on their website. They now have games against Mersyside Reds, Trafford Reds, Manchester Blues, London Whites, London Blue

Posted Images

As far as I can tell, Amazon, BT and Sky have all now said they won’t cover it.

That leaves, basically, beIN (who are PSG so let’s assume only if it is massively beneficial to them), DAZN and Pornhub.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/04/2021 at 22:42, Robthegasman said:

As a Manchester United fan I am totally opposed 💯 to this proposed European Super League.

It makes football more and more elitist.

 I hope the fans of all these clubs oppose this.

Out of curiosity, will you still be a fan if this European Super League takes of?. Yes you are correct though, typical soccer money, money, money. Its disgusting, a kick in the knackers for the fans of all clubs concerned. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

As far as I can tell, Amazon, BT and Sky have all now said they won’t cover it.

That leaves, basically, beIN (who are PSG so let’s assume only if it is massively beneficial to them), DAZN and Pornhub.

BBC Four.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

As far as I can tell, Amazon, BT and Sky have all now said they won’t cover it.

That leaves, basically, beIN (who are PSG so let’s assume only if it is massively beneficial to them), DAZN and Pornhub.

Luckily i have a subscription with one of them ...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

As far as I can tell, Amazon, BT and Sky have all now said they won’t cover it.

That leaves, basically, beIN (who are PSG so let’s assume only if it is massively beneficial to them), DAZN and Pornhub.

I think further to this that Amazon, BT and especially Sky will have a massive hole in their business model if this breakaway can be made to work.

The Premier League rightly or wrongly will be a very broken ‘product’ minus these clubs.

So I take their moral indignation with a pinch of salt as usual.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think further to this that Amazon, BT and especially Sky will have a massive hole in their business model if this breakaway can be made to work.

The Premier League rightly or wrongly will be a very broken ‘product’ minus these clubs.

So I take their moral indignation with a pinch of salt as usual.

There’s nothing moral about it - I’m not an idiot.

But they are on record as saying it so they must think that even if their own assets take a hit, there is even less value to be had in an unwanted and unloved European Super League.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites

spurs and arsenal are garbage  - man u  are trading on past glories - the others think they are far better than they are - let em go - ban em from the premier league insist all remaining clubs field 5 english players per game - enjoy a more wholesome fresh start

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

spurs and arsenal are garbage 

To be fair, Spurs were football league champions in 1961, so it's still more recent than Warrington being rugby league champions.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

All of that is quite true.

Still doesn’t stop this breakaway league being a vile idea though that is *even worse* than the odious stuff we have now.

Granted, I’d like to see even 1% of the *visible* outrage happen when England run out at a World Cup venue that has literally cost the lives of hundreds of slave workers.

Greedy barstools of course. But we always knew that.

They want to organise their own closed shop midweek European league not under UEFA control and everything else carries on as normal.

You'd have thought they'd be doing a bit of on-field innocent baby slaughter given the wailing and hand wringing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There’s nothing moral about it - I’m not an idiot.

But they are on record as saying it so they must think that even if their own assets take a hit, there is even less value to be had in an unwanted and unloved European Super League.

Possibly, I think the initial reports did link DAZN to this on Sunday evening.

No idea if that was denied subsequently.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

if anyone is bored with this superleague story since it broke on sunday- well- at least there hasn't been anything about racism in football in the last 2 days!

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

You'd have thought they'd be doing a bit of on-field innocent baby slaughter given the wailing and hand wringing.

The only positive from the (over)reaction is that at least Johnson is confident enough with his client media friends that he can get away with the truth - that he has no real interest in soccer and doesn't even pretend to follow a team.

But, broadly, if you got worked up about (say) the Super League schism in rugby league to the point of, I don't know, publicly protesting against it [I have no idea if this applies to you by the way] then the only difference between that and the voices today is one of scale.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The only positive from the (over)reaction is that at least Johnson is confident enough with his client media friends that he can get away with the truth - that he has no real interest in soccer and doesn't even pretend to follow a team.

But, broadly, if you got worked up about (say) the Super League schism in rugby league to the point of, I don't know, publicly protesting against it [I have no idea if this applies to you by the way] then the only difference between that and the voices today is one of scale.

Meh.

Our existential crisis had a seismic change of season, radically altering fans' interaction with the sport.

It also had mergers, wiping out clubs. 

It also artificially altered the composition of all domestic leagues.

It also changed forever the international programme and tours.

Soccer's is simply a Champions League re-jig

Edited by marklaspalmas
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

 

Just to point out that if a government interferes with the running of football in a country - for good or bad - then that country is meant to be sanctioned by FIFA.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I find this 'poor football' faux outrage all a bit much

How is the whole pyramid structure decimated with a midweek Euro League, not much different to now

Football in England & Wales is no more in danger than it was in 1992 when the Sky shilling was taken without much of a murmur. Same conditions - those at the top of the pyramid want more for themselves

And the Govt can't really do anything, they are just playing the populism card, to cover other ineptitude and corruption up

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Meh.

Our existential crisis had a seismic change of season, radically altering fans' interaction with the sport.

It also had mergers, wiping out clubs. 

It also artificially altered the composition of all domestic leagues.

It also changed forever the international programme and tours.

Soccer's is simply a Champions League re-jig

Oooo ... winter to summer.

The mergers didn't happen.

There had already been the changing of rules midseason to relegate Nottingham et al. Sort of artificial, really.

Rugby league had a proper international programme for about fifteen years of its history. If Super League hadn't changed it then something else would have done.

It is a Champions League rejig - to an extent - but it also more than that.

(I'm only really here pointing out that if rugby league had a profile and reach like soccer than you'd have been overrrun with hot takes and overreactions just as we are now for soccer's Super League. It doesn't stop the protests against it being, in my opinion, in essence correct.)

 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the big clubs are so worried about future monies and sustainability the solution is easy, bring in Toronto FC to the ESL , it's a sure fire winner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

At least we know, from the Prime Minister's reaction, that he isn't getting a back-hander from ESL.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...