Toulouse now kicking their heels for 3 weeks

Just looked at the fixtures and now Featherstone won't be travelling to France (May 1st) and neither will Widnes (May 8th) - this is after London binned off the trip last week and were given a 24-0 loss. Exactly how is this meant to create any kind of valid competition in 2021? Toulouse will have to make the play offs based purely on winning away fixtures and their rivals will avoid their win percentage being affected by losing a tough away trip. They also will go weeks without games. It will be one game in a month.

I know the RFL have given the p/t f/t team excuse but this is literally creating a two-tier competition based on all the risk and burden being on one competing club. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Just looked at the fixtures and now Featherstone won't be travelling to France (May 1st) and neither will Widnes (May 8th) - this is after London binned off the trip last week and were given a 24-0 loss. Exactly how is this meant to create any kind of valid competition in 2021? Toulouse will have to make the play offs based purely on winning away fixtures and their rivals will avoid their win percentage being affected by losing a tough away trip. They also will go weeks without games. It will be one game in a month.

I know the RFL have given the p/t f/t team excuse but this is literally creating a two-tier competition based on all the risk and burden being on one competing club. 

I presume in both cases that Toulouse will be awarded 24 point victory's and put in there plus section and minus 24 in the Fev and Vikings sections

Just now, The Future is League said:

I presume in both cases that Toulouse will be awarded 24 point victory's and put in there plus section and minus 24 in the Fev and Vikings sections

Nope I understand these are void fixtures. I stand to be corrected so no 24-0.

12 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

What happens if the situation in France remains the same?

I haven't got a clue. Toulouse should be able to apply for promotion to SL as per 2021. They are being punished for being the only full time professional elite sports team in a part-time cashless Championship. You can't keep punishing them for having fixtures scheduled against part-time skint clubs who can't (or won't) travel.

If they aren't SL ready, how come no one else in the league is being considered an elite professional sports club for fulfilling fixtures?

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I haven't got a clue. Toulouse should be able to apply for promotion to SL as per 2021. They are being punished for being the only full time professional elite sports team in a part-time cashless Championship. You can't keep punishing them for having fixtures scheduled against part-time skint clubs who can't (or won't) travel.

If they aren't SL ready, how come no one else in the league is being considered an elite professional sports club for fulfilling fixtures?

What is your solution Scubby? 

If they are the only FT team and are playing skint amateurs, I expect they will walk all the games they play and they will be fine. 

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If they are the only FT team and are playing skint amateurs, I expect they will walk all the games they play and they will be fine. 

None of the other clubs in the Championship are actually planning and preparing to create a sustainable SL club. They can't go to Toulouse because they can't be designated elite professional sport as they are doing p/t on the cheap. The RFL won't support it either and they were trying to force London to go but no one else.

The competition is asking Toulouse to make the type of financial sacrifice that is making this a two-tier competition. Imagine if they could apply for SL now and actually spend 11 months preparing to create a vibrant SL club. We want them to travel to Sheffield and play on a park field (and not even get to play in their 19k stadium they have just secured) because the RFL and part-time clubs are not up to elite professional standards. Not only that they are being asked get every win away from home and other clubs dodge a tough away trip.

Just now, Scubby said:

None of the other clubs in the Championship are actually planning and preparing to create a sustainable SL club. They can't go to Toulouse because they can't be designated elite professional sport as they are doing p/t on the cheap. The RFL won't support it either and they were trying to force London to go but no one else.

The competition is asking Toulouse to make the type of financial sacrifice that is making this a two-tier competition. Imagine if they could actually apply for SL now and actually spend 11 months preparing to create a vibrant SL club. We want them to travel to Sheffield and play on a park field (and not even get to play in their 19k stadium they have just secured) because the RFL and part-time clubs are not up to elite professional standards. Not only that they are being asked get every win away from home and other clubs dodge a tough away trip.

Just now, Dave T said:

Invite tenders for promotion to SL in 2022 now. There is a chance that the Championship will have the strongest club playing 6-10 less fixtures than anyone else. Give the club a chance to prepare for a huge step rather than force them to spew tonnes of cash and get no benefit from being a home side. They have just signed a ten year lease at a major stadium. They are being punished for preparing for long term growth.

I grew up as a kid watching Featherstone, but they are not in any position to either go full time or be sustainable. Other top clubs are surviving on loan players and are not being asked to prove they can add value to the competition.

Scubby. Dont they play on a RU ground ??, Yes Slag off Sheffield  but have you ever been to a tiny little town called Featherstone where a percentage of SL clubs grounds are not a patch on POR.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

If it was an even fixture list I guess alL the games could have been reversed. However teams don’t play them all twice, hence the unique situation we’re in

True Spidey. But also some of the biggest names in the Championship at the moment are on their knees. Scrapping around for players and are in no fit state to be playing to go in SL. Pretending this is just another normal season is just plain stupid.

Toulouse are a SL club in all but name and are being asked to sacrifice tonnes of cash and get zero benefit from being a home side. If you had 3-4 top clubs in the Championship, well run with strong squads banging on the door I would think differently. But the Championship is currently on its knees financially.

10 minutes ago, haskey said:

Scubby. Dont they play on a RU ground ??, Yes Slag off Sheffield  but have you ever been to a tiny little town called Featherstone where a percentage of SL clubs grounds are not a patch on POR.

I spent my whole youth going there every week. I am fond of the club. Featherstone have a nice ground but they are papering over the cracks at the moment. What any Championship club needs right now is time to plan to be a SL club. Leigh are showing this and Covid has amplified this requirement. The game is on its knees, SL have set a precedent for promotion. They need to do it again but give clubs more time.

Championship clubs are absolutely skint - the cupboard is bare and a lot of it is not their fault. The last thing they need to be doing is spending cash they haven't got pushing for promotion that won't work as they are almost bust now.

The fact Toulouse can't play these guys at home is because no one will pay to upgrade their status to elite sports club for Covid permissions.

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Yes, the problem lies with the fact that 13 teams are inconveniently located in England.

1 minute ago, hrtbps said:

Yes, the problem lies with the fact that 13 teams are inconveniently located in England.

There are 15 clubs inconveniently located in Australia but the NRL are bending over backwards to support the Warriors and try and make them feel included - including financially and concessions. Toulouse are being told 'as you were you are lucky to be here'.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

There are 15 clubs inconveniently located in Australia but the NRL are bending over backwards to support the Warriors and try and make them feel included - including financially and concessions. Toulouse are being told 'as you were you are lucky to be here'.

Comparing France to NZ at this ' Covid ' moment isn't really fair 

What Scubby is saying IMO is that there is only one team in the Championship that could realistically make a step up to SL this season. However, their location and fixture issues due the COVID are putting them at a disadvantage. 

If they are the only credible club to be able to make a go of SL, guarantee them a place in SL now and let them plan for that. Attracting quality players with that assurance of top flight competition will help them transition to a much higher standard   required in SL. We can see the folly of admitting Leigh in without suitable preparation. They appear to be nothing more than cannon fodder.

Of course, it’s highly unlikely there will be any forward planning of this nature. The current system is very much in favour of the current SL clubs as opposed to an under prepared, newly promoted side. It also satisfies those that feel on field results are the only way a side can earn promotion, even if the playing field isn’t an even one.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

We seem to have approached the point where P&R is a millstone around the game's neck. There just aren't enough clubs who can make the jump over the divide between Super League and Championship.

While it may seem fair and meritocratic to allow promotion on the field, Leigh are showing that it isn't, really.

Archived