EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Saw that. I'm also willing to be that the person involved couldn't actually tell you anything about the 1936 Berlin Olympics beyond, at an absolute push, Jesse Owens being there and Leni Riefenstahl making a film.

Similar to those that think they are suddenly experts about Scandinavian football 🙂

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might get banned for the heinous statement I am about to make, but the winning goal against Denmark in some publications and websites, state that it was a Penalty, it wasn't because it came off the goalkeeper and was hit in. Therefore is was a goal from open play.

21 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

£6.49 on Italy to win 2-1 @ 10/1.

Might seem an odd bet figure, but I was just rounding down my account with my betting company.

If I win, I am back to a strange account level. 🙂

And if you lose you are back to my normal account level 😂

Which channel to watch the match ? , if Jermaine Jenas is summariser on Beeb I will go with them.

If it is Danny Murphy then no thanks as he never shuts up ...waffle waffle waffle , over to ITV where it will probably be Lee Dixon.

You can always mix'n'match - watch one channel's studio panel and switch over for the other's live commentary.

Or do what I do, and only start watching when the game is about to start.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

26 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

You can always mix'n'match - watch one channel's studio panel and switch over for the other's live commentary.

Already do that , and I meant summarisers during the match

14 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Tyldesley and McCoist have been the best pairing by far for commentary

I’m not sure why Tyldesley has been dumped as No1 by itv , he’s by far the best . Him and McCoist make a good team and have a bit of a laugh . 

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I think Emma Hayes has been the most astute but she's the one ITV go to for occasional comments during the game (at this stage) and she isn't on the half time panel. I will probably watch the BBC but I think both broadcasters have done a decent job this tournament - a good mix of commentary and pro-England without being ridiculous.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, HawkMan said:

Is this understandable or a step too far ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57774782

I don't understand how you can declare a Bank Holiday for the Monday at 10.30pm the day before. Stocks don't trade on a bank holiday for example. It would play well with certain (mostly retired) folk but what are actual banks meant to do?!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I heard a snippet of Chris Waddle on the radio pondering about the uselessness of Sterling seconds before he scored against Germany . He seems to have been on there a long time 

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I don't understand how you can declare a Bank Holiday for the Monday at 10.30pm the day before. Stocks don't trade on a bank holiday for example. It would play well with certain (mostly retired) folk but what are actual banks meant to do?!

You can’t. We have around 200 Engineers out there due at properties. If they aren’t going and the back office is shut who’ll tell the customers. Typical nonsense from him. 

I think he’s since back peddled on Monday, but just shows his detachment from reality

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I heard a snippet of Chris Waddle on the radio pondering about the uselessness of Sterling seconds before he scored against Germany . He seems to have been on there a long time 

Waddle is a miserable git. I've been listening to the daily euros and he finds it very hard to say anything positive about England. 

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Go to 1:50ish here to see a dive that would make a proper football fan blush.

The match should never have been played of course.

Sickening to see the Finnish fans celebrate at the end. The arrogance.

Thanks for this, it is way worse than the Sterling one and puts to bed any idea that Denmark were cheated by the evil English. 

2 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Thanks for this, it is way worse than the Sterling one and puts to bed any idea that Denmark were cheated by the evil English. 

The Danes didn't even appeal for the penalty.

You and another poster seem to have some problem with Denmark purely because they played England and have dared call out Sterling's dive. Again, incidents such as the laser are always by England fans and of course by a "minority". 

It is this type of xenophobia why the English team are so disliked by the other countries. It's not good the two of you perpetuating it here.

On 08/07/2021 at 13:18, Copa said:

Best of luck guys!

I’ve probably watched on TV less than 10 soccer matches involving professional players in my life and around 5 or 6 live.. but I know it means a lot to England… so come on England!

Copa, you surprise me!

Thank you!

Most likely we will lose, but soccer is not a predictable sport.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Niels said:

You and another poster seem to have some problem with Denmark purely because they played England and have dared call out Sterling's dive. Again, incidents such as the laser are always by England fans and of course by a "minority". 

It is this type of xenophobia why the English team are so disliked by the other countries. It's not good the two of you perpetuating it here.

Sterling didn't dive. I have no problem with Denmark. And I hope that when the person who put the laser in Schmeichel's face is found that they are banned for life from all football grounds.

Please do explain how any of the above is xenophobic.

1 minute ago, Niels said:

Do I count as anti-Danish too?

Yesterday, I put up with some anti-English nonsense. Today it has subsided, which is good.

There are issues with English football culture. But, I have been shouted at in Denmark for being foreign, it was just that those individuals were haivng a bad day and were stupid. I am not going to slag of Denmark as a whole on the back of it.

Diving is hardly an English thing, until recently, England was restrained. They have merely joined the rest of the world.

English football culture has issues, So does Turkish, I will restrain from condemning Turks, nor Danes on the basis of a couple of prats. I have not come across any English people endorsing the the laser incident. I know a football hooligan (I am Catholic, he is a member of the UVF, we catch up sometimes for a drink), he is a minority thought I still think of him as seriously misguided.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Sterling didn't dive. I have no problem with Denmark. And I hope that when the person who put the laser in Schmeichel's face is found that they are banned for life from all football grounds.

Please do explain how any of the above is xenophobic.

In basketball, I think they call it drawing the foul?

On 08/07/2021 at 13:02, Bob8 said:

Though, booing the anthem is always ugly. Our minority of grown children.

I get that it looks bad, but I do think that more of made of it than it really is. I honestly think that most of those booing just see it as something you do to the opposing side. The proof of this is that we booed Denmark, literally nobody in England has strong feelings about Denmark.

On the flip side, here's a video of Scotland booing England's anthem. I don't think anyone in England felt disrespected by it; I certainly didn't. 

It's a bit like place kicking in rugby. In Union, booing the kicker is seen as very disrespectful but in RL it is par for the course. RL fans aren't horrible people in comparison, it's just a part of the culture.

Now attention has been drawn to it and it's become an issue of respect, it absolutely should stop but one thing about a lot of English people is that they don't like to be told what to do. This means that it will continue indefinitely and be another reason for people to hate us. 

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

In basketball, I think they call it drawing the foul?

Basketball is quite weird about its foul rules but, you're right, making the defender foul you when they don't want to is part of the game.

9 minutes ago, Niels said:

So it's OK to dive as long as you don't appeal for it?

If you actually read what I've put I've said it was a dive or at the very least he made the most of it. 

What I don't accept is that it was an exceptional outrage like the hand of god. It was a pretty standard attempt to win a penalty like you see many times a game. The Danish example (which is obviously worse) is the perfect proof that this idea that they were monumentally screwed doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

I don't see what is so hard to understand about that. 

As for the laser, I'm pretty sure that 1 out of 60,000 counts as a minority. 

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

So it's OK to dive as long as you don't appeal for it?

If you actually read what I've put I've said it was a dive or at the very least he made the most of it. 

What I don't accept is that it was an exceptional outrage like the hand of god. It was a pretty standard attempt to win a penalty like you see many times a game. The Danish example (which is obviously worse) is the perfect proof that this idea that they were monumentally screwed doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

I don't see what is so hard to understand about that. 

As for the laser, I'm pretty sure that 1 out of 60,000 counts as a minority. 

I'd rather not talk about that game. The penalty and result weren't important and I have never read or heard anyone from the football world discuss this aspect of it. 

Archived