The World Cup goes ahead

Is there a deadline  for the Aussies to make up there minds on whether they are attending? The country replacing them would need to know well in advance to be able to prepare  for it.

30 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

I’m friends with a potential Welsh cap on Facebook, who’s part of an NRL club. I asked his thoughts…

I’ve kept him anonymous for obvious reasons but it’s so pleasing to see his reaction and I’m sure many, many others feel the same.

2ED47228-F04A-4866-AA6E-9FB88BE95429.jpeg

It`s funny you say that, It reminds me of Jason Ryles, Saint George and Australian prop, Roy Masters once described him as a " schooner drinker " our equivalent of your pint I imagine, no half-measures for Rylesy. When he got picked for the first time for Oz, 9/11 occurred and there was talk a tour to England would have to be cancelled, when asked whether he was worried about flying to Europe Rylesy said " I don`t care where we play them, I`ll play them in Afghanistan if I have to". I was a big fan of his before that remark, and bigger after. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s funny you say that, It reminds me of Jason Ryles, Saint George and Australian prop, Roy Masters once described him as a " schooner drinker " our equivalent of your pint I imagine, no half-measures for Rylesy. When he got picked for the first time for Oz, 9/11 occurred and there was talk a tour to England would have to be cancelled, when asked whether he was worried about flying to Europe Rylesy said " I don`t care where we play them, I`ll play them in Afghanistan if I have to". I was a big fan of his before that remark, and bigger after. 

Just 3/4 measures I guess. 

• Haha 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

5 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Within the next two hours you can all snap up the tickets that are left

I already have mine at a cost of £ 333.00 (7 matches) But I am booking accomodation and train tickets that are refundable and my advice to all of you, take or leave it, is to do the same.

Love the way posters are pointing the finger at one country on here when in reality it is one League , the NRL who are unhappy with this decision and the NRL supplies players to all the competing teams - Including England...

A tournament without the majority of NRL players will lack integrity.

Just sorted my hotel in Jesmond (Newcastle) for the opening weekend, just trains to sort for Newcastle & London, bring it on!!!

• Like 4

I think that the tournament really needs to go ahead, what with the football world cup coming next year.  However, I'm afraid that I don't share the opinion of those who don't care if a whole swathe of the best Australian players are missing due to Covid.  Inevitably if that happens, it will get a lot of attention in the media and the casual viewer who may or may not get into watching the tournament could well be less likely to bother if they perceive that the tournament is de-valued.  Personally I hope that the best available players from all countries are involved.

4 hours ago, Southerner said:

There’d always be an asterisk against the winner. 

No there wouldn’t. Just like previous “boycotts” of world tournaments no asterisks will be used

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Hello said:

I think that the tournament really needs to go ahead, what with the football world cup coming next year.  However, I'm afraid that I don't share the opinion of those who don't care if a whole swathe of the best Australian players are missing due to Covid.  Inevitably if that happens, it will get a lot of attention in the media and the casual viewer who may or may not get into watching the tournament could well be less likely to bother if they perceive that the tournament is de-valued.  Personally I hope that the best available players from all countries are involved.

I personally think that the players will be there and stuff the men in suits.

Paul

It can sound like some of us don't want the Roos to attend but it's more about the attitude than the team, players or the results.

2 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

and stuff the men in suits.

Well yes but they may be the ones making the decisions.

10 hours ago, The Rocket said:

When he got picked for the first time for Oz, 9/11 occurred and there was talk a tour to England would have to be cancelled, when asked whether he was worried about flying to Europe Rylesy said " I don`t care where we play them, I`ll play them in Afghanistan if I have to". I was a big fan of his before that remark, and bigger after. 

Sadly the same couldn't be said for Robbie O'Davis, who when asked about the same tour, said that the problem with England is, there are a lot of terrorist targets over there, "like Buckingham Palace, and the Eiffel Tower....." 👀

And we wonder why they call us "Mungoes".

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Sadly the same couldn't be said for Robbie O'Davis, who when asked about the same tour, said that the problem with England is, there are a lot of terrorist targets over there, "like Buckingham Palace, and the Eiffel Tower....." 👀

And we wonder why they call us "Mungoes".

From memory, Shane Webcke pulled out of the tour after the terrorist attacks, saying he wanted armed guards at the airport for the kangaroos arrival and when that wasn’t forthcoming he pulled out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

This is, at every level, complete nonsense. The former Manchester Guardian’s approach to the UK is essentially to wage war on it, and to corral any anti UK opinion it can find and pass it off as gospel. It is sad to see. 

There is compelling logic behind the UK approach - we have high levels of antibodies, we have fantastic vaccines (and it looks as if the Oxford vaccine offers life long protection via T cell stimulation), and we have lead the world in developing treatments for this. We have to have an exit wave to exit this, and the best time to do so is 1) during summer, and 2) while we have a highly transmissible variant against which the vaccines are hugely effective. This variant is keeping at bay the nastier ones. By October/November, Covid will be as much of a risk as a bad flu year - horrific, absolutely tragic - but one which we can and have to live with. As an economy and as a society we cannot choose lockdown and restrictions on people’s ability to be educated and earn a living (or afford to carry on paying for people to be furloughed, as that stores up infinite trouble further down the track). 

The timing for the World Cup is pretty much perfect, long enough for the exit wave to fall away (and by some estimates that is already beginning) and prior to any final deep winter pinch point. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Southerner said:

There’d always be an asterisk against the winner. 

Not really - if you take the 1980 Olympics as an example when you look at say Alan Wells- he is shown as 100m Olympic champion- not an asterisk in sight.

He won, he got the medal and his name in the record books! - can you name some of the American sprinter who may have beat him? - I can't but we all know who won.

The joy of the WC is usually the smaller nations anyway thats why only in a WC can you get say 10k for Scotland V Italy  - its an event and the wider public won't care the Aussies arnt there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

This is, at every level, complete nonsense. The former Manchester Guardian’s approach to the UK is essentially to wage war on it, and to corral any anti UK opinion it can find and pass it off as gospel. It is sad to see. 

The same story is in the Torygraph, the Evening Standard, the Daily Mail and other tabloids, if you prefer your "news" with a right-wing bias.

Edited by JonM
  • Like 2

I really don't think Aussie RL fans get how small time the Kangaroos are as a "draw" over here in the UK. The Kiwis, as a "New Zealand Rugby team" have just as much if not more kudos than their Australian counterparts. The Kangaroos play so infrequently that they have virtually zero recognition here.

Australia don't show up? As near as makes no difference nobody cares.

Australia only play with UK/France based players? Absolutely fine, a minute fraction of a niche actually know/care who from the NRL will make the Aussie team. As a side note if anything that would likely make the Pacific and other heritage reliant teams stronger too.

Its a shame that the Kangaroos stock has fallen so low, but that is a reflection of the decline of prioritising International RL in recent times.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JonM said:

The same story is in the Torygraph, the Evening Standard, the Daily Mail and other tabloids, if you prefer your "news" with a right-wing bias.

(I am sorry, but they are unrelated points, entirely. The context and presentation is entirely different - it is an opinion, but only one of a number, and while weight should be given to it, the UK has a massive body of its own evidence to draw upon. To take another example from earlier today, the SA variant is a worry because the vaccines are LESS effective against them - they are still remarkably effective, however. This was presented as the vaccines being INEFFECTIVE in the Guardian. That isn’t politics, that is dangerously ignorant. It suits the “UK’s past, present and future is dreadful” approach, from this once great paper. I still buy it most days, of course. It’s what Andy B would want me to do. 🌹

Anyway, sorry about the rant, and I respect all and any genuinely held views to the contrary. My point was ultimately a narrow one around the logic behind the position we are taking, and why that is good news for the World Cup, as opposed to 8 months of lockdown or attempting the same thing in the autumn, either one of which approach would have been disastrous to us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The Kiwis, as a "New Zealand Rugby team" have just as much if not more kudos than their Australian counterparts. 

🤨

I get what you are saying, but this part really isn't true.

The vast majority of people who turn up at Rugby League international games, are Rugby League fans.

The non-RL general public in the UK don't really turn out in any numbers, as the game is so comparatively invisible to the public consciousness. As such... The fans know that the Australians have far more kudos... Just take a quick look at the thread on here who think we should bring back those old fashioned 1980s style Kangaroo Ashes tours.