Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I'd have shot back with a:

"people who have played International rugby and in the World Cup understand... etc etc"

Put him royally back in his box.

yep would love a "sit down and shut up" come back from someone with a massive pedigree

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

yep would love a "sit down and shut up" come back from someone with a massive pedigree

I see Cherry-Evans has popped up a couple of times now. Isn't he the Aus captain? His last (and only) chance to captain his country in a WC on the other side of the world. I'd be letting rip if I was in his shoes. What does he have to lose?

• Like 4

Gus is the worst spokesman for them , the more he talks the more he reinforces the view that they’re arrogant ,  selfish and just don’t care about anything that isn’t NRL centred . COVID or no COVID his views would be the same and I don’t think he does them any favours 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RayCee said:

Peter Sterling was chairing a panel on the same subject and while they didn’t all agree, it was a civilised discussion. In this one Gus effectively talked the others down.

If the players were adequately consulted, I find it strange that the Australian captain and senior player (Chery-Evans) wasn’t. Also the player’s association likewise seemingly not in the loop. Gus must know that. 

I believe V'landys is using him as a mouthpiece.

He's saying the things V'landys is too politically astute to say for himself.

Gould is a just a pig of a man who doesn't care what other people think of him.

He believes he is unassailable. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I believe V'landys is using him as a mouthpiece.

He's saying the things V'landys is too politically astute to say for himself.

There appears to be an interesting tesion between those coaches / administrators who have ever been involved in International RL and those who haven't, with the latter very happy to remove opportunity from players.

• Like 5

Its Gould's "we owe them nothing" comment that sticks in the throat.. you may think that but its not us you owe its all the smaller nations, its the international game, its the fact its a world cup! he then goes on with "delay it 12 months, 2 years, there'll always be another world cup".. well actually thats not a given Phil for a start.. equally there may be another world cup but for a player there often isnt.. the majority of international players get one world cup at most its rare that players play in multiple world cups/olympics etc THAT is why they are special... If i were a player with a chance to play, for a large or small nation, and he was saying that i'd be throwing things at the tv or just throwing the tv around.. what an arrogant, self centred ....... (noting John saying about the sweary filter i wont finish the sentence but this is the one time that your point is worth making with a swear word!). 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, RP London said:

he then goes on with "delay it 12 months, 2 years, there'll always be another world cup".. well actually thats not a given Phil for a start.. equally there may be another world cup but for a player there often isnt.. the majority of international players get one world cup at most its rare that players play in multiple world cups/olympics etc THAT is why they are special... If i were a player with a chance to play, for a large or small nation, and he was saying that i'd be throwing things at the tv or just throwing the tv around.. what an arrogant, self centred ....... (noting John saying about the sweary filter i wont finish the sentence but this is the one time that your point is worth making with a swear word!). 

You're right, it's absolutely not a given. It's quite possible that if this world cup is cancelled, that's it, at least for the full scale version. 

At best we might get a miserable ersatz NRL version which would be the Pacific series with GB and France bolted on. 

Which is why I've come round to the view that if we can get the buy in from the Pacific teams, the BBC and the government, then we should go ahead. Even if we just avoid losing money, it would be worth it to keep the prospect of a better future alive. 

Edited by Toby Chopra
  • Like 11

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

The worst part of that Gould clip for me is when he said he hopes there is some international footy at the end of the year for the players - there already is Phil you absolute person who I hold in very low esteem

That last bit isn’t what i wrote by the way 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, RP London said:

Its Gould's "we owe them nothing" comment that sticks in the throat.. you may think that but its not us you owe its all the smaller nations, its the international game, its the fact its a world cup! he then goes on with "delay it 12 months, 2 years, there'll always be another world cup".. well actually thats not a given Phil for a start.. equally there may be another world cup but for a player there often isnt.. the majority of international players get one world cup at most its rare that players play in multiple world cups/olympics etc THAT is why they are special... If i were a player with a chance to play, for a large or small nation, and he was saying that i'd be throwing things at the tv or just throwing the tv around.. what an arrogant, self centred ....... (noting John saying about the sweary filter i wont finish the sentence but this is the one time that your point is worth making with a swear word!). 

Entirely right. The idea that a World Cup is about 'us' or 'them', wherever that rhetoric comes from, is what holds the sport back.

Everyone benefits from a successful World Cup... or at least everyone would benefit if they were able to identify and leverage the opportunity. 

The point is that the leadership of the game in Australia is actually demonstrating its lack of vision and strategic thinking here... something they have been recently praised for and are now reversing that perception. 

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The worst part of that Gould clip for me is when he said he hopes there is some international footy at the end of the year for the players - there already is Phil you absolute person who I hold in very low esteem

He is definitely an absolute person to be held in very low esteem . A total rotter in fact , a cad of the lowest order . If I met him we’d have words on this subject 

• Like 2

I really hope this WC still goes ahead, even without them. If the players are on board, there could be major backlash on the ARLC and NZ that will weaken them for years.

If players lose trust in ARLC & NZ, and then choose to play for other nations as a result, we could see a strengthening of other nations. It all depends on the players really. Look at Tonga and his their players are happy to reject Aus & NZ. If this happens for other nations, we may just see that first choice being affected for years to come. NZ are already struggling because of the surge of Tonga.

I'm trying to be positive. As long as we give these nations opportunities to play, the NRL can't do anything to prevent them playing.

• Like 7
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

10 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Firstly, really sorry to hear James Roberts is struggling. Is he having to self isolate due to testing positive or someone around him doing so?

Secondly, this shows the whole argument from the NRL/ARLC is a massive loads of rubbish. So much for player welfare.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I really hope this WC still goes ahead, even without them. If the players are on board, there could be major backlash on the ARLC and NZ that will weaken them for years.

If players lose trust in ARLC & NZ, and then choose to play for other nations as a result, we could see a strengthening of other nations. It all depends on the players really. Look at Tonga and his their players are happy to reject Aus & NZ. If this happens for other nations, we may just see that first choice being affected for years to come. NZ are already struggling because of the surge of Tonga.

I'm trying to be positive. As long as we give these nations opportunities to play, the NRL can't do anything to prevent them playing.

Personally I think the WC organisers should just come out and say the WC is going ahead and publicly show the covid bio security protocols. Then say they are open to either invitational Australia and NZ sides (whether that be indiginous or Maori sides or not) and then say if that is declined they will be inviting 2 other nations in to compete (maybe US and Serbia) This will show two things A. that the WC is bigger than the ARLC and NZRL and that we have other nations that can come in and play. This WC can easily be a success without Aus and NZ and could actually mean that it is the most widely contested WC of all time, for example Scotland V the USA would be a much better game than Scotland V Australia.

The one thing we do have on our side is that RL at any level is a fabulous spectacle

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Could someone explain to me why it would be okay to send indigenous players but not other players? I don't know if I've missed something or what but I'm not understanding it. 

It's not to do with who they're sending, but who is sending them.

The ARLC & NZ won't be sending anyone.

The players can join other organisations or come together to make an invitational team should they be accepted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He is definitely an absolute person to be held in very low esteem . A total rotter in fact , a cad of the lowest order . If I met him we’d have words on this subject 

Give him a poke from me?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

I think that is probably the most accurate summation of the man I`ve read yet.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Blimey, doors and windows have to be taped shut. Australia's Covid-proof fence is really strict! If only it worked!! 

Honestly that this is an actual story is one of the most ridiculous , dystopian and sad things I think I’ve ever read . Deary me 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

We go into Phil Gould's tweet in the show, break down his points. 

Biting his tongue start made me laugh 😁 disrespectful at best!!

There's more to come on this story I am hearing, not all is good but check out our thoughts on Phil Gould here 

Also, is Phil Gould's tweet still there, I couldn't find it again????

What do you mean by “not all is good”?