Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Just now, Jim from Oz said:

From all reports it seems like the UK government will have the final say on Wednesday night UK time,

if they give it the green light it will be the first time ever a Conservative government does something I agree with 100% 🤣

Wednesday evening, UK time, is when the RLWC board are scheduled to make their decision.

That will be heavily influenced by UK govt assurances on funding but they also have to consider commercial and broadcasting partners etc. All those informative discussions with stakeholders are underway. I understand the 14 remaining nations are supportive of playing it this year as planned.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I believe V'landys is using him as a mouthpiece.

He's saying the things V'landys is too politically astute to say for himself.

Gould is a just a pig of a man who doesn't care what other people think of him.

He believes he is unassailable. 

V'landys is hiding behind all his mouthpieces Gould, Paul Kent and all the news Corp hacks. They are all on the same page. No media outlet has interviewed him. Where is he?

• Like 1

The Islands and Papua New Guinea were supposed to have a meeting last Monday in regard to the WC. Would have thought thought they would  have made a statement by now.

I think (on balance) we will have a World Cup, and that it may well include an Indigenous team. And if it does go ahead, I think it will be a fantastic success. The UK Government’s response has been superb - not just holding the line but directly supportive. It can’t do any harm that we are already emerging from our exit wave, and that even gloomsters on SAGE are being optimistic in public. 

By now, Vlandys and Gould expected the whole thing to have folded, but they have under estimated their ability to dictate to the world. You cannot over state the significance of Tonga’s staying on board. With PNG solid, that may well be enough for all of the Pacific Nations to hold the line. The ARL and NRL have also effectively treated the Pacific Nations with complete contempt, as well as the NH and the rest of the world, and that looks to have failed. It is one thing announcing that they’re not going, and everyone caving in, but to prevent this taking place may well require them to effectively force players not to go who could play for other countries. If there is one thing that could unite the Pacific nations it would be being dictated to in that way. 

This has not panned out as they expected, and there is a lot still to play for. Choosing Gould as the ambassador to make their case is something of a godsend to us, as he is so obviously a fool. 

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I think (on balance) we will have a World Cup, and that it may well include an Indigenous team. And if it does go ahead, I think it will be a fantastic success. The UK Government’s response has been superb - not just holding the line but directly supportive. It can’t do any harm that we are already emerging from our exit wave, and that even gloomsters on SAGE are being optimistic in public. 

By now, Vlandys and Gould expected the whole thing to have folded, but they have under estimated their ability to dictate to the world. You cannot over state the significance of Tonga’s staying on board. With PNG solid, that may well be enough for all of the Pacific Nations to hold the line. The ARL and NRL have also effectively treated the Pacific Nations with complete contempt, as well as the NH and the rest of the world, and that looks to have failed. It is one thing announcing that they’re not going, and everyone caving in, but to prevent this taking place may well require them to effectively force players not to go who could play for other countries. If there is one thing that could unite the Pacific nations it would be being dictated to in that way. 

This has not panned out as they expected, and there is a lot still to play for. Choosing Gould as the ambassador to make their case is something of a godsend to us, as he is so obviously a fool. 

I may have missed something but the way you phrased ''You cannot overstate the significance of Tonga staying on board..'' suggests to me that Tonga are in. Have they declared their intention to take part? Have I missed that announcement?

6 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I may have missed something but the way you phrased ''You cannot overstate the significance of Tonga staying on board..'' suggests to me that Tonga are in. Have they declared their intention to take part? Have I missed that announcement?

Not yet, although Taumololo has come out in favour of playing.  Would be good to hear Woolf say the same.

This is huge and what I've been longing for. This is the biggest name we could have got saying this and the man responsible for the spurring on the development of the PI countries. Game on:

Tonga stalwart Jason Taumalolo says he intends to play in the 2021 World Cup in England despite the withdrawal of New Zealand and Australia and he expects his team-mates to follow suit.

Speaking via zoom at a North Queensland Cowboys press conference in Townsville on Tuesday, Taumalolo echoed the words of Tonga coach Kristian Woolf, the St Helens boss, who insisted at a time when the tournament hung in the balance that his players were still committed to it.

“It’s obviously a tough one given the circumstances that’s happened around it and the situation that different countries have been put in,” he said. “I myself am still going over to play in the World Cup.

“It’s obviously disappointing to have Australia and New Zealand pull out but two countries pulling out doesn’t really hamper what the game is all about.

“It’s about international footy and getting other countries and nations ready to play each other.

“Obviously I can’t change anything, I’ve just got to roll with it I guess.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/tonga-star-jason-taumalolo-committed-to-playing-in-world-cup/

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Not yet, although Taumololo has come out in favour of playing.  Would be good to hear Woolf say the same.

JT = Tonga 

JT = Legend 

If we have another child, they will be called Taumololo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

If we have another child, they will be called Taumololo. 

Twin girls... Tammy and Lolo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

51 minutes ago, frank said:

The Islands and Papua New Guinea were supposed to have a meeting last Monday in regard to the WC. Would have thought thought they would  have made a statement by now.

I wonder if the general feeling was that they will play this year happily but also if it were to be postponed they would support it.. Therefore no announcement to be made but they would communicate it to the World Cup organising committee so they know that whatever decision they make the PIs will stand with them.. also means they arent cutting off their nose with the NRL.

That guy is responsible for Tongas emergence not the NRL.

What a legend.

• Like 3

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

26 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Sadly cannot say yet, but there is more rumblings and it may come out in the next week, depends on the players - it could go either way, I hope it's the positive way

What's your source?

16 hours ago, jacksy said:

Fingers crossed they go for it. They will get as much financial support as i can give them.

Me too,I was planning on just a couple up and down trips on the day for games ... However if it happens now I'll commit to having sleepover weekends up north all throughout the tournament and watch as many as I can... 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Firstly, really sorry to hear James Roberts is struggling. Is he having to self isolate due to testing positive or someone around him doing so?

Secondly, this shows the whole argument from the NRL/ARLC is a massive loads of rubbish. So much for player welfare.

I did like this tweet. As we all know player welfare only mattered when it came to the World Cup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

The one thing we do have on our side is that RL at any level is a fabulous spectacle

With that in mind, if the tournament goes ahead without the Kangaroos and Kiwis, would it not be a wise move to revisit the decision to adopt NRL rule changes for the WC?

In particular, get rid of the handover instead of scrum when the ball crosses the touchline rule, which was one of PVL`s ideas to speed the game up, but which convinced me he can`t be trusted to know what`s best for the game on the field. A verdict which now extends to the game off the field.

Also, I`ll be quite relieved not to have Aussie and Kiwi refs stopping the game and stifling broken-field play by calling a knock-on every time the ball goes to ground. It`s a chance for the WC organizers to instil a play-on culture in the officials.

And if the message hits home that this tournament needs to be "a fabulous spectacle", maybe a let-the-game-flow atmosphere might catch on in the crowds, and we won`t have people demanding calls for forward passes, knock-ons, offsides, obstructions, and other reasons to be miserable and angry.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I did like this tweet. As we all know player welfare only mattered when it came to the World Cup.

It's just a crock old rubbish from the ARLC. Welfare matters when it suits them. As does spouting half-truths or mis-information. I'd genuinely love to be on a phone-in or in a studio debating Gould.

Is James Graham on the same platform as Gould or a different one?

• Like 1

Lost track of the thread so I`m not sure if I am repeating something already said here.

Beattie: Wayne and I did everything we could to get Australia to the World Cup (theaustralian.com.au)

ARLC Commisioner Peter Beattie speaking :

Now, having made the difficult decision to withdraw the Kangaroos from the Cup, he has appealed for everyone to take a breath and allow common sense to prevail by postponing the tournament for 12 months.

So they only want to postpone it, or so they say, it`s tough when you can`t believe what people say.

Continuing from the article, this I thought sounds promising.

"It is understood World Players Union has now got involved in the spat as officials scramble to plot the path forward."

Grant sounding like he`s gone rogue and is not doing what the NRL would have wanted him to do. Continues to fight the good fight.

“Clarity is now being sought from the players to ensure their wishes are understood and all the information they require to make an informed decision is provided,” IRL chair Troy Grant said.

Beattie pushes back:

Beattie insists the only answer is to postpone the event.

World Players Association is not a body I`ve heard of, but if they`re involved and making life uncomfortable for those trying to stop players participating more strength to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I for one can’t stand the emotional rollercoaster that is this thread! A high as Tonga player says he’s playing, back down as ‘not good’ what someone is hearing, Pacific meeting but no comments is a good/bad thing.

The only certainty is that Gould will continue to be an unspeakable swear word!

It’s the hope that kills you eh 😉

• Like 1

Thanks for that Rocket. Can't help but feel the ARLC decision has been made in isolation; if it wasn't, they'd understand (and hopefully) appreciate a big competition in England at the same time of year as the FIFA World Cup is an absolute non-starter. That renegotiating access to football stadia with the clubs, Premier League and Football League is a massive task and will cost a fortune. That the UK Government are no doubt placing great pressure on the organisational committee to go ahead with the event as the UK opens up. But as importantly, much needed funds to the IRL to continue to develop the sport globally is paramount.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

That the UK Government are no doubt placing great pressure on the organisational committee to go ahead with the event as the UK opens up

You`re welcome and the whole thing seems on a knife edge now and it will ultimately be the players who decide, we just need a few more of the key players to stand up and say they want it.

Much as everyone hates V`landy`s he is a pragmatist and has backed down over issues before, it`ll be the clubs and some of the coaches that are going to be hard to bring round.