Jump to content

Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts


48 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

They would need to be called Indigenous Australia and Maori Nation or something similar though rather than the tacky 'All Stars' moniker. That type of name is ok for a league competition affiliated exhibition game but not for an international competition. 

I agree with that . All Stars as a name isn’t for a World Cup . Firstly though I hope there’s a way of giving all Aussies and Kiwis who want to come the opportunity to come 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone at the head of the Australian and New Zealand Rugby League should listen to this and feel ashamed of themselves. It's not about elite NRL players not being able to play in trials or start training a little late... it is about men, women and wheelchair athletes potentially having their dreams thrown away.

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I agree with that . All Stars as a name isn’t for a World Cup . Firstly though I hope there’s a way of giving all Aussies and Kiwis who want to come the opportunity to come 

It`s an interesting question. 

Theoretically they should be just called the `Australian ` team, because they are the original or real Australians, but if they wish, and the same for the Maori team, to be known as the Indigenous Australian Team or NZ Maori, then I suppose that would be their decision. Let`s face it, it`s the least we can do for them.

Having said that, why not just call themselves the Australian or Kiwi team and anyone who goes to see them or sees them on TV will think that those two nations are only inhabited by their Indigenous peoples or certainly the national sporting team is.

 It would be such a great look to have a complete national team made up of its` original inhabitants, that could definitely generate publicity world-wide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

04F56BE0-7FB2-43DD-AD8A-55F49AB64424.jpeg.55ae86eef1fa851b14aec7a8660d1c0a.jpeg

Now is the time for decisive action to deliver the WC in 2021, it is not the time for meekness.....unless your referring to the NZRL obedient little poodle strategy of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s an interesting question. 

Theoretically they should be just called the `Australian ` team, because they are the original or real Australians, but if they wish, and the same for the Maori team, to be known as the Indigenous Australian Team or NZ Maori, then I suppose that would be their decision. Let`s face it, it`s the least we can do for them.

Having said that, why not just call themselves the Australian or Kiwi team and anyone who goes to see them or sees them on TV will think that those two nations are only inhabited by their Indigenous peoples or certainly the national sporting team is.

 It would be such a great look to have a complete national team made up of its` original inhabitants, that could definitely generate publicity world-wide.

Since these guys are willing to heroically go up against the forces of darkness and put their NRL careers on the line then I'm happy to ask them what they want to be called and go with that. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

04F56BE0-7FB2-43DD-AD8A-55F49AB64424.jpeg.55ae86eef1fa851b14aec7a8660d1c0a.jpeg

 

5 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

7DF941FF-CAD8-459C-B6D8-BAED3A5301EF.jpeg.564dfdf9c2b9e13f35bacb0c4c3d7ca1.jpeg

Have to say, I am struggling to follow your train of thought here.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Southerner said:

If Aus & NZ don’t play does that void the BBC deal or any other advertising agreements?

Or could it at least mean a reduced deal?

I would guess this is one of the many things they are having a look at at the moment and why a decision is not so straight forward. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

Because the WC is for countries. Having the "Indigenous All Stars" win the World Cup would make RL look amateur and open to ridicule.

It'd be the Aussie and the Kiwis' fault, not RL's. 

 

  • Like 4

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Couple of powerful statements in there...

"Correcting misinformation"

"Delivering the most secure COVID processes in line with other successful delivered UK tournaments in 2021" (in summary).

The team are in an information battle with the ARLC/NRL...

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Makes me wonder if discussions with the other nations (Pacific nations) hasn't yielded the completely positive response we'd all hoped, and the decision has been deferred to the players. Hopefully a few of the key players for the various countries speak up and others will follow their lead.

  • Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the phrase "(The board) are also realistic about the significant challenges that threaten that ambition" suggests that talks have not been wholly positive, and at the very least they're creating a space for possible bad news. 

Feels like it could go either way to me. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"While the Board reiterated the determination to deliver the biggest and best ever Rugby League World Cup in history"

Unfortunately I don't think that's possible without Australia and New Zealand taking part in any of the three tournaments.

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I think the phrase "(The board) are also realistic about the significant challenges that threaten that ambition" suggests that talks have not been wholly positive, and at the very least they're creating a space for possible bad news. 

Feels like it could go either way to me. 

I agree , it was a 50/50 statement 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

"While the Board reiterated the determination to deliver the biggest and best ever Rugby League World Cup in history"

Unfortunately I don't think that's possible without Australia and New Zealand taking part in any of the three tournaments.

I think it is possible, it just makes the task much harder not having them there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's pretty realistic in they know the players have to be on board to continue. I think they would continue without Australia and NZ but obviously need guarantees around the other nations and players committing. I also think they are well aware of the games that the NRLwill play and the downright sabotage players and nations are going to face. This means they need to be 100% that everyone else is on board as they certainly can't afford more withdrawals down the line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

"While the Board reiterated the determination to deliver the biggest and best ever Rugby League World Cup in history"

Unfortunately I don't think that's possible without Australia and New Zealand taking part in any of the three tournaments.

It's more than possible if the NRL don't sabotage the rest.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I don't see the purpose of this downbeat interim statement. Worrying.

Managing expectations and not giving anything away to the enemy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...