Autumn Internationals

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Now you're thinking, we won't have anymore of this small time thinking with places like Featherstone, we need to branch out into new markets! Dronfield here we come! 

Sounds perfectly logical if you ask me

On 28/08/2021 at 19:55, paulwalker71 said:

A little research might illuminate. 

I googled to find out where the majority of Jamaican heritage people lived in the UK. By far the majority live in North London (250K) followed by Birmingham (35K), Bristol (20K). The much vaunted Leeds trails in 7th at around 5K, albeit most oft them live in environs of Headingley. Oddly enough the list didn't go down far enough to include Featherstone.

Given that the largest concentration of Jamaicans in the UK is around Tottenham, is there any mileage in taking the game to the New River Stadium. So it's not exactly a fantastic stadium but since it won't be on TV (I assume) that doesn't really matter.

With really good and well-targeted publicity is it conceivable that the RFL could sell out the game? The stadium holds 5K according to Wiki, which is only 2% of the total number of Jamaican heritage people in London.

You could even give every person through the gate a voucher to get a half-priced ticket for next years Challenge Cup final, just literally down the road.

Or we could just take the 'let's do the minimum' and hold it in Featherstone for absolutely no discernible reason

This is illuminating.

With 250k in North London, why on earth aren't we taking the game to London?

The Jamaican team is a completely new way of promoting RL, in the capital.

The possibility/opportunity of capturing some of the West Indian residents is surely too good to miss.

This is new people, in a new area, with the Bronco's providing the way to keep them in the game after the Jamaica match.

The legacy could be really beneficial to the Bronco's and increase participation in RL in the capital. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, fighting irish said:

This is illuminating.

The possibility/opportunity of capturing some of the West Indian residents is surely too good to miss.

This is new people, in a new area, with the Bronco's providing the way to keep them in the game after the Jamaica match.

The legacy could be really beneficial to the Bronco's and increase participation in RL in the capital. 

The trouble is that cutting through to those 250,000 in North London would require some serious advertising and promotion which in all likelihood would cost serious money which the Jamaican, Welsh and Scottish RL governing bodies don't have.  It's also open to question whether the RFL could afford (or justify) the necessary expense for a match not involving England.

Then there's the question of whether a match at a tiny stadium like New River could ever match their expectations of an appropriate venue for an International which in all probability have been set by their experience/knolwedge of where soccer, RU and cricket Internationals are played.

Edited by Big Picture

7 hours ago, fighting irish said:

This is illuminating.

Completely agree hence my earlier post regarding a double header with England v France @ Spurs. Really hope we don't let this opportunity pass.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fighting irish said:

"Too good to miss"?? 

Apparently not. The RFL prefer to base the Jamaican team in a depressed former mining village.

I can't wait to see the colourful, multi-cultural crowd this one attracts. A real shop window for international Rugby League 👍🏿

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The trouble is that cutting through to those 250,000 in North London would require some serious advertising and promotion which in all likelihood would cost serious money which the Jamaican, Welsh and Scottish RL governing bodies don't have.

The Voice is an official partner of the World Cup. You'd hope there was some conversation going on between them, the RFL and Jamaica RL about promoting any internationals Jamaica play this year, regardless of where they are held.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

"Too good to miss"?? 

Apparently not. The RFL prefer to base the Jamaican team in a depressed former mining village.

I can't wait to see the colourful, multi-cultural crowd this one attracts. A real shop window for international Rugby League 👍🏿

If I had a pound for every opportunity the RFL have missed during my association with them, I'd be well away.

The prospect of an England v Jamaica game in London, where there are 250,000 West Indians, some of whom might just become lifelong fans, is still a prospect too good to miss, but sadly, it looks as if they/we are going to miss it anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

For those complainin about "fake" national sides. 15 of the Jamaica Football team squad play in England.

Not quite, Wikipedia lists 34 players on their roster for their upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifiers, 12 of whom play in England.  In any case though where they play doesn't matter as no one seriously thinks that a poor country like Jamaica could support a major pro team let alone a major pro league. 

At a quick glance it looks like most of the Jamaican soccer team are Jamaicans by birth, so again it's a case of a few heritage players strengthening a team primarily comprised of players who spent their formative years in Jamaica.  That's a far cry from a team full of players who only qualified by heritage, plus it's only one out of the 100+ national soccer teams in the world.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Not quite, Wikipedia lists 34 players on their roster for their upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifiers, 12 of whom play in England.  In any case though where they play doesn't matter as no one seriously thinks that a poor country like Jamaica could support a major pro team let alone a major pro league. 

At a quick glance it looks like most of the Jamaican soccer team are Jamaicans by birth, so again it's a case of a few heritage players strengthening a team primarily comprised of players who spent their formative years in Jamaica.  That's a far cry from a team full of players who only qualified by heritage, plus it's only one out of the 100+ national soccer teams in the world.

The BBC put 15 on the article about Michael Antonio's call up.

54 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I’ve genuinely never come across anyone watching live sport with concerns over the players place of birth, try caring about it less and just watch the game, you might enjoy it.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

"Too good to miss"?? 

I take it you will be attending?

On 27/08/2021 at 09:07, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If England are playing away in France it could do with been officially announced ASAP to give people the best chance they can to sort travel etc. The same is true for French fans travelling to England tbf, let’s get the date and venue announcement out. 

Do you really think fans will travel from France to watch the French RL team?

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’ve genuinely never come across anyone watching live sport with concerns over the players place of birth, try caring about it less and just watch the game, you might enjoy it.

I don't care where they were born, I do care what citizenship they have though.  Other than a small percentage (say 20%) who are non-citizens but are eligible for citizenship I think all players in an International should be citizens of the country they represent.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Why? 

Because he has no positive contribution to make. None, zero, zilch, nada, nowt, sweet FA. 

12 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Why? 

Because nowadays nationality is primarily based on citizenship which can be entirely separate from where someone was born, and because citizenship is what most of the team sports which have an International scene use as the basis for their eligibility rules.

On 31/08/2021 at 01:14, The Frying Scotsman said:

"Too good to miss"?? 

Not sure why the make up of the crowd matters marra.

I just want to see a good game that the people who go to watch enjoy - can we just call them RL fans as who cares what colour their skin is or where they come from?

Are you going be upset if a load of nasty white middle aged men turn up?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Because nowadays nationality is primarily based on citizenship which can be entirely separate from where someone was born, and because citizenship is what most of the team sports which have an International scene use as the basis for their eligibility rules.

I couldn't give a toss what other sports have as their eligibility rules, that's up to them, they don't dictate what we do in our sport and we shouldn't run our sport based on what others do. We are our own thing just like they are theirs and we've chosen a set of rules for international eligibility that suits us not what suits football, union, cricket, basketball, ice hockey, kabaddi, goat polo or whatever other sport you can think of.

All I care about is seeing an entertaining game of rugby league and I couldn't really care less who is playing for what team to achieve that. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Having citizenship is often purely a flag of convenience with international sport, happens all the time in the Olympics for example, the biggest global sporting event.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Having citizenship is often purely a flag of convenience with international sport, happens all the time in the Olympics for example, the biggest global sporting event.

The IOC just accepts the rules that each sport's own global body has in place.

So, for example, you won't see too many flags of convenience in soccer but athletics is a little bit looser.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It seems as if football changed its eligibility rules when I wasn't looking. It used to be that once a player appeared in a competitive senior game for his country he was locked into playing for them and no-one else. Now it appears that you can switch if you have played no more than 3 competitive senior matches before turning 21.

More and more sports are allowing players to switch between nations, albeit with different ways of regulating it.

• Like 3

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

4 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

It seems as if football changed its eligibility rules when I wasn't looking. It used to be that once a player appeared in a competitive senior game for his country he was locked into playing for them and no-one else. Now it appears that you can switch if you have played no more than 3 competitive senior matches before turning 21.

More and more sports are allowing players to switch between nations, albeit with different ways of regulating it.

So they did. That passed me by as well. Change made last September.