Jump to content

Dual Reg, Loans, and Reserve Grade


Recommended Posts

It seems Leeds won't be happy unless every 1st team squad player is playing a match each weekend. Wonder if lower squad players will be offered to Fev or Bradford based on what? Their location?

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-loan-dual-registration-22313837?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email&pure360.trackingid=

Link to comment
Share on other sites


48 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

As much as I hate the dual registered system, I suspect they'll be some heading featherstone way this year.

I doubt the game can afford reserve grade teams.

As it says the DR with Leeds and Fev is now agreed - I suspect that will aid Fev in their aims.

Leeds have said since reserves became a thing again that our u19s (formerly the highest tier of the academy level before that was reduced to u18s) would be our reserves. I suspect some clubs will take alternate approaches including local amateurs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Featherstone and Bradford will both be significantly bolstered by these agreements, at Leeds we have some really good fringe players and only 1 injured player as things stand so they are unlikely to feature in the Leeds 1st team at the start of the season.

I expect to see Morgan Gannon, Muizz Mustapha, Jack Broadbent, Jarrod O’Connor, Sam Walter, Liam Tindall, Levi Edwards and Corey Johnson to all play and stand out in the Championship for either Featherstone or Bradford.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

As it says the DR with Leeds and Fev is now agreed - I suspect that will aid Fev in their aims.

Leeds have said since reserves became a thing again that our u19s (formerly the highest tier of the academy level before that was reduced to u18s) would be our reserves. I suspect some clubs will take alternate approaches including local amateurs.

Remember T last time reserves  in 19 FEV young lads  played for leeds  reserves while  leeds players were on loan at FEV 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dewsbury have Dual Reg with Hull KR. It makes a mockery of the game, where part of how well you do can be influenced by who you are DR with and their injury situation. 

Loans have been part of the game for as long as I can remember, but DR is just a money saver for SL teams.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Dewsbury have Dual Reg with Hull KR. It makes a mockery of the game, where part of how well you do can be influenced by who you are DR with and their injury situation. 

Loans have been part of the game for as long as I can remember, but DR is just a money saver for SL teams.

I doubt the game can afford to run a reserve grade competition. Sad. Its what I grew up with and even this century I've watch some good reserve/u23s etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Dewsbury have Dual Reg with Hull KR. It makes a mockery of the game, where part of how well you do can be influenced by who you are DR with and their injury situation. 

Loans have been part of the game for as long as I can remember, but DR is just a money saver for SL teams.

Agreed. The game doesn’t know what it wants. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

 

Loans have been part of the game for as long as I can remember, but DR is just a money saver for SL teams.

There's really not that much difference between DR and loans these days, except maybe in some instances they train a bit more often with the Championship club. Most of the supposed season-long loans will have a recall clause and with the minimum loan period now just 2 weeks, effectively the loanees are on long-term dual reg.

It makes no sense for a modern SL team to send out players on long-term loans with no recall because the attrition rate with injuries is so huge these days, there also seems to be more suspensions than used to be the case, and of course there's still Covid hovering too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Come again?

What's so hard to understand T when RFL disbanded FEV reserves   the reserve players players who were signed for FEV went to play for leeds reserves while players who were signed for leeds first team squad came on loan to FEV easy peasy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

DR in the Championship is an embarrassment even more so when one of the promotion favourites have signed up for it.

I'm not going to criticise clubs for playing to the rules that the RFL allow but I don't like it and it is poor that it is allowed.

The Championship is meant to be a test to find a SL worthy club and allowing a club to win promotion on the back of DR doesn't do that. If anything it is quite the opposite because any promoted club that makes heavy use of DR has even more players to find.

The Championship should also be a breeding ground for developing players. DR just limits the opportunities of players further down the ladder and means that clubs don't need to take youth development as seriously as they have DR to fall back on as the cheap option.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I'm not going to criticise clubs for playing to the rules that the RFL allow but I don't like it and it is poor that it is allowed.

The Championship is meant to be a test to find a SL worthy club and allowing a club to win promotion on the back of DR doesn't do that. If anything it is quite the opposite because any promoted club that makes heavy use of DR has even more players to find.

The Championship should also be a breeding ground for developing players. DR just limits the opportunities of players further down the ladder and means that clubs don't need to take youth development as seriously as they have DR to fall back on as the cheap option.

This.... and a whole host of other stuff.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

This.... and a whole host of other stuff.

 

With you Robin and I know Leigh will work closely with Saints, especially early season before injury and suspension kicks in, in part because we know Fev will be doing so with Leeds

Saints and Leeds will see Leigh and Fev as a better place to harden players ready for SL as opposed to the reserves comp.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

With you Robin and I know Leigh will work closely with Saints, especially early season before injury and suspension kicks in, in part because we know Fev will be doing so with Leeds

Saints and Leeds will see Leigh and Fev as a better place to harden players ready for SL as opposed to the reserves comp.

 

I'd love it if the championship clubs said "no" en bloc to dual reg. It only takes one club to use it. That club will then be perceived as having an advantage so other clubs will use it to level things up.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a bit funny to see everyone suddenly discussing this now because somebody in the media has written a story about it,  it's seven weeks ago today that Chris Chester gave an interview about Leigh doing DR with St Helens and it was obvious from then that it was going to be back.

Like most on here I think in an ideal world we wouldn't have it but I also think its impact will get overstated, this time last year a lot of people in forumland were predicting that Fev would struggle in 2021 because of the absence of DR but we only lost 1 league game all year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DR is a terrible system that only benefits the SL,  it distorts the lower leagues and it upsets players who are being kept out of their team, how can they advance and better themselves while a SL player is constantly keeping them off the field? No wonder some young players walk away from the game. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Damien said:

The Championship should also be a breeding ground for developing players. DR just limits the opportunities of players further down the ladder and means that clubs don't need to take youth development as seriously as they have DR to fall back on as the cheap option.

It is but its the Championship clubs used to develop players for SL clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

DR is a terrible system that only benefits the SL,  it distorts the lower leagues and it upsets players who are being kept out of their team, how can they advance and better themselves while a SL player is constantly keeping them off the field? No wonder some young players walk away from the game. 

Totally agree

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, POR said:

What's so hard to understand T when RFL disbanded FEV reserves   the reserve players players who were signed for FEV went to play for leeds reserves while players who were signed for leeds first team squad came on loan to FEV easy peasy

That time it was in English!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...