Jump to content

George Hotel Dead and Buried


Recommended Posts


Hate that group of newspapers, their websites are terrible with all the pop up adds... anyway

I always like the use of the word "omnishambles".. sounds like it truly is.. "bad faith" is a good description of the councils attitude on this by the looks of it.. take the museum off them and give it to somewhere that is going to work with Rugby League Cares and the RL community to make a really good experience of a museum. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's really disappointing. It isn't actually that uncommon that the business case for a project ends up showing higher costs (or fewer benefits) than first assumed, and in a way it is braver to stop it at a reasonably advanced stage than to press ahead and hope for the best. 

That said, the way this has leaked out has been embarrassing. It is the Council's #### up and they shouldn't get a second chance or be allowed to dump it in some backwater library. Rugby League Cares should decide whether there was a suitable alternative bid at the time of their competition, or re-open it to new or improved bids.

  • Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

It's really disappointing. It isn't actually that uncommon that the business case for a project ends up showing higher costs (or fewer benefits) than first assumed, and in a way it is braver to stop it at a reasonably advanced stage than to press ahead and hope for the best. 

That said, the way this has leaked out has been embarrassing. It is the Council's #### up and they shouldn't get a second chance or be allowed to dump it in some backwater library. Rugby League Cares should decide whether there was a suitable alternative bid at the time of their competition, or re-open it to new or improved bids.

Agree and that seems to be the thing.. Huddersfield/Kirklees are acting as if they have carte blanche to do what they like with it.. if the bid becomes unsustainable, for whatever reason (and i agree these things change), then the first thing they should do is to talk to Rugby League Cares and say "we cannot do this, but we would like to keep it, lets have a look at other options, are you happy with that?" yet what they actually did is cancel the meeting with them and seem to be running as if its theirs anyway..

If, after the initial call saying "oops", RLC want to then take it off them they will have the legal right to do so as the bid is fundamentally different to the one agreed. But no matter what Kirklees come up with as an alternative, they can do that anyway, hence the lines of communication should be very very open. This is where the "bad faith" is as well IMHO, to work like this seems to be to give RLC less time so when they come up with their alternative its another few months wasted.. (and time with it not open is money not being brought in to RLC)

If i were RLC i would put it back to the other bidders and say "still interested?" and re open the process. Kirklees can then bid again with their new offer, but without the George I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole TBH

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, RP London said:

Agree and that seems to be the thing.. Huddersfield/Kirklees are acting as if they have carte blanche to do what they like with it.. if the bid becomes unsustainable, for whatever reason (and i agree these things change), then the first thing they should do is to talk to Rugby League Cares and say "we cannot do this, but we would like to keep it, lets have a look at other options, are you happy with that?" yet what they actually did is cancel the meeting with them and seem to be running as if its theirs anyway..

If, after the initial call saying "oops", RLC want to then take it off them they will have the legal right to do so as the bid is fundamentally different to the one agreed. But no matter what Kirklees come up with as an alternative, they can do that anyway, hence the lines of communication should be very very open. This is where the "bad faith" is as well IMHO, to work like this seems to be to give RLC less time so when they come up with their alternative its another few months wasted.. (and time with it not open is money not being brought in to RLC)

If i were RLC i would put it back to the other bidders and say "still interested?" and re open the process. Kirklees can then bid again with their new offer, but without the George I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole TBH

I strongly suspect that, hidden behind all of this, the Kirklees officers actually hope that RLC does take it away and open it up for new bids. They have too much on their plate in Huddersfield alone, not to mention the other towns, and the museum would have ended up as another white elephant for the council.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

I strongly suspect that, hidden behind all of this, the Kirklees officers actually hope that RLC does take it away and open it up for new bids. They have too much on their plate in Huddersfield alone, not to mention the other towns, and the museum would have ended up as another white elephant for the council.

If that where the case then this "alternative" shouldnt even be being discussed. Just go back to RLC and tell them they cant do it (there may be a penalty clause but that would be applicable no matter how this gets taken off them). Just get it done, by going about it like this they do look untrustworthy (or more so than any council normally looks)!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've said it before but Manchester ticks all the boxes to me and ties in with the RFL moving there and the new facility. There are so many more possibilities that could be leveraged to make the experience more attractive and it should stack up better financially. I just don't see Huddersfield as being either an attractive enough place to visit for the majority of people or commercially viable.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

I've said it before but Manchester ticks all the boxes to me and ties in with the RFL moving there and the new facility. There are so many more possibilities that could be leveraged to make the experience more attractive and it should stack up better financially. I just don't see Huddersfield as being either an attractive enough place to visit for the majority of people or commercially viable.

There is history for Manchester - https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/bombed-rugby-plaque-gets-a-return-689703

     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Simply false that pal

Not really, from the RL areas of the NW it’s quicker to get to Huddersfield than Leeds. If you take the heartlands as a whole Huddersfield is also more central than Leeds, sitting roughly half way in between Hull and St Helens.  

Edited by Eddie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The plans showed the museum would have been tucked away in the basement of the George and looked little more than a a glorified Stevoworld.

Maybe the best way forward is for the George to have a decent commemoration, and a proper museum elsewhere.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

This the Rugby league being reactive and not proactive. It should have been invested in, as a hotel/bar years ago aswell. 

Absolutely. I can't think why the other owners/developers didn't think of this before.

It would earn stacks of money for the game at a minimal cost.

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very strongly worded statement from RLC and RFL… https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36411/rugby-league-cares-and-rfl-statement-national-rugby-league-museum Unusual for things to be this openly critical so it really does show that Kirklees have made a complete mess of this all round.

Agree that it should go back out to tender/expressions of interest. Problem is that anywhere (Manchester, Leeds etc) all need local council on board for funding and support to make it happen. I’m guessing that it was only Wigan that provided the previous alternative on that front?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...