Des Drummond awful news

Dunbar

15 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Yes, but not as good as Grothe.

I agree but my original statement was that he was 1 of only 3 GB players who were better than his opposite number in the Australian team. While Des faced Grothe his opposite in the Roos team was Boustead.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not much i can say that hasn't been said already apart from thankyou for the memories - it was players like Des that made the turnstiles click for me and thousands of other exited kids back in the 80s - A TRUE TRUE superstar 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Absolute privilege to see him play for my team. Even at the twilight of his career he was special, and invariably the main talking points of the games that he played in were what he'd done both in attack and defence. RIP 

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

In my opinion he was a better player than Boustead

Not in 1982 he wasn’t, which was the comment I was responding to.

His scoring record in tests did not match that of either of the aussies. Only 6 of his 29 international appearances were v the kangaroos and he didnt manage to cross the line in any of them.

That doesnt mean he wasn’t a wonderful player.

6 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

His scoring record in tests did not match that of either of the aussies. Only 6 of his 29 international appearances were v the kangaroos and he didnt manage to cross the line in any of them.

It does matter which team you are in. Put Boustead agsinst thr kangaroos and his record would have been poorer. Put Dessie in the Kangaroos and his record would have shot up. 

3 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Probably up there in speed, others at the time were equally as fast Fielding at Salford posted top times on superstars. Recalling my time at leigh in the colts and A team, talk was that the board were reluctant to sign Des with a  £250 signing on fee and Geoff (piggy) fletcher offered to pay it himself. 

A director at that board meeting told me the story of John Woods and Dessies signings, on Dessies they agreed to put £25 in, he tipped up the rest turned away and Dessie was signed for £25, Woody apparently got £50

7 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

A director at that board meeting told me the story of John Woods and Dessies signings, on Dessies they agreed to put £25 in, he tipped up the rest turned away and Dessie was signed for £25, Woody apparently got £50

It was definitely £250 you got £25 win money in the A TEAM. 

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

That’s a very strange way to gauge a players ability!

Im now in my mid 50s and I could still score try’s playing on the wing for that Australian team. However, I’m not sure I could put in the performances that Des did against a team that was almost Man for man on another level and in my opinion neither could Boustead.

Note: I played against both by the way

RIP Mr Drummond.

What a wonderful player and athlete and from some of the stories a lovely human being.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Des was a fantastic winger for Warrington and worth the admission money to watch him alone with the skills he had.  Iro never threw the ball at him ever again after Wembley 90! I bet he had little birds tweeting around his head for a long time that afternoon! 

RIP des, wire legend.

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

I'm not too sure we need to debate whether he was better than X or Y player in a thread about his passing. 

He was clearly a special player, creating a lot of fantastic memories for a lot of people, and was apparent a great guy too. 

I couldn't care less whether somebody else may have played better than him. 

18 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

To be fair the GB team only scored 4 tries in total against Australia in the games he played against them. Dessie was hardly given an abundance of chances or half chances that a quality finisher like him could take. From memory he did set up or play prominent roles in 2 of the 4 tries that were scored, both by Schofield.

Back in the 90's when he was playing for Workington against York, their fans used to sing a song about him. Next day we went to school and sang the same song at our mate whose surname is Drummond.

From that moment on he became known as Des. 30 odd years later and he's still known to literally everyone as Des, even his parents call him it. I love that.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

3 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

Back in the 90's when he was playing for Workington against York, their fans used to sing a song about him. Next day we went to school and sang the same song at our mate whose surname is Drummond.

From that moment on he became known as Des. 30 odd years later and he's still known to literally everyone as Des, even his parents call him it. I love that.

Brilliant , I am literally in tears 

Funnily enough when I had a business in best ' trigger from Fools and horses fashion ' a driver I employed who wasn't the sharpest for some reason referred to a guy called Steve Walsh as Trevor , Steve then became known as ' Trev ' , and is still referred to as that when any former employees bump into him 😁

Archived